WAMC - w/ some prerequisite classes in cc & electrical engineering major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wlswpdbs

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.8~9 not sure bc I didn't apply yet
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
25AA, 24 TS, 23 BIO, 30 OC, 23 GC, 23PAT, 20 RC, 28 QR
State of Residence: AZ

Undergrad Attended:
Arizona state university
Major: electrical engineering
Minority?
No, asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100~hrs w/ general dentist & 100~hrs w/ ortho
Volunteering Experience: 130~hrs virtual tutoring w/ Middle East students
Employment: Server, ~1000hrs
Research: No
Other Extracurriculars: No, leader as a capstone project
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? no
Relevant Honors or Awards: English class honor only
LOR type and strength: 3 letters from science / 1 letter from statistics / 1 letter from dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: No ECs related with healthcare and I took genchem1&2, genbio1, physics1&2 in community college

~School list:
Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, Umich, Uconn, Unlv, roseman, Rutgers, Ohsu, temple, Bufflo, Maryland, Minnesota

Please let me know if there are any schools to add

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Unofficial DAT score.jpg
    Unofficial DAT score.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Clearly you have the metrics.

You don't seem to have enough experience hours. Do you have more experience in dental clinics than just your shadowing? Do you have any in-person community service experiences (virtual tutoring doesn't count here)? What have you done (especially in electrical engineering) that shows fine manual dexterity? Your profile looks invisible on campus outside of the classroom and engineering lab. Is this true?

Because of this, your application is likely and surprisingly more DOA than that of many other applicants to the very competitive schools on your list. You aren't even considering your in-state options... that's a really bad sign to me.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]" data-quote="Mr.Smile[emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Clearly you have the metrics.

You don't seem to have enough experience hours. Do you have more experience in dental clinics than just your shadowing? Do you have any in-person community service experiences (virtual tutoring doesn't count here)? What have you done (especially in electrical engineering) that shows fine manual dexterity? Your profile looks invisible on campus outside of the classroom and engineering lab. Is this true?

Because of this, your application is likely and surprisingly more DOA than that of many other applicants to the very competitive schools on your list. You aren't even considering your in-state options... that's a really bad sign to me.

First, what do you mean DOA?
And I am not considering my state school bc they are all private and too expensive.
Also, isn’t virtual volunteering regarded as volunteering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA: 3.8~9 not sure bc I didn't apply yet
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
25AA, 24 TS, 23 BIO, 30 OC, 23 GC, 23PAT, 20 RC, 28 QR
State of Residence: AZ

Undergrad Attended:
Arizona state university
Major: electrical engineering
Minority?
No, asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100~hrs w/ general dentist & 100~hrs w/ ortho
Volunteering Experience: 130~hrs virtual tutoring w/ Middle East students
Employment: Server, ~1000hrs
Research: No
Other Extracurriculars: No, leader as a capstone project
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? no
Relevant Honors or Awards: English class honor only
LOR type and strength: 3 letters from science / 1 letter from statistics / 1 letter from dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: No ECs related with healthcare and I took genchem1&2, genbio1, physics1&2 in community college

~School list:
Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, Umich, Uconn, Unlv, roseman, Rutgers, Ohsu, temple, Bufflo, Maryland, Minnesota

Please let me know if there are any schools to add
your stats are awesome, especially in a tough major like EE
at first glance 13 is a ton of schools, but upon further review...

Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, Umich- easily in the top 6-8 most competitive schools in the country
Uconn - easily in the top 10-12 most competitive schools in the country
Buffalo, Rutgers, Unlv - extremely competitive OOS due to ability to switch to IS tuition after 1 year
Ohsu - good choice, but i can think of at least one more public that you could have added (colorado)
temple, Maryland, Minnesota - did you check OOS acceptance rates? AZ acceptance rates?
roseman - safety, good choice
how come you have other competitive schools in CA, but not UOP? (3 years like roseman)

you will get interest, but it's hard to say how much and where because you have an extremely tough list and they cannot interview everyone with high stats
it's your job to turn the invites into acceptances...

Reactions: 1 user
First, what do you mean DOA?
And I am not considering my state school bc they are all private and too expensive.
Also, isn’t virtual volunteering regarded as volunteering?
I guess DOA... today's parlance is "cooked."

Virtual dentistry does not yet exist. You need to show you are more than comfortable working with people in pain, who smell, and wriggle around in a chair beyond your control for hours. Which activities can give me confidence this is covered?

I guess DOA... today's parlance is "cooked."

Virtual dentistry does not yet exist. You need to show you are more than comfortable working with people in pain, who smell, and wriggle around in a chair beyond your control for hours. Which activities can give me confidence this is covered?
Can’t bunch of shadowing hours cover those? I have never heard doing a tutoring virtually makes me cooked in applying to dental school.
Thank you for ur replies tho

Can’t bunch of shadowing hours cover those? I have never heard doing a tutoring virtually makes me cooked in applying to dental school.
Thank you for ur replies tho
Who has talked with you about preparing your application? Did you talk with admissions recruiters or faculty adcoms?

Who has talked with you about preparing your application? Did you talk with admissions recruiters or faculty adcoms?

Yes, I talked with healthcare advisor in undergrad and dentists. They all told me volunteering virtually does not matter unless I have not done anything there

Yes, I talked with healthcare advisor in undergrad and dentists. They all told me volunteering virtually does not matter unless I have not done anything there
Well, we'll trust the process and see. That position contradicts the opinion of the faculty on admissions committees I have worked with, and most prefer those with in-person over virtual experiences. You must show you are not the "introverted, awkward" engineering student stereotype, and dentistry is extremely hands-on.

If you have Roseman, I would have added Pacific since you have all metrics pointing to it.
Concurring with @macsak : I don't know why you left off your Arizona dental schools or Colorado. You would likely be excluded against Buffalo, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Maryland unless you express very strong mission fit.

Last edited:
Well, we'll trust the process and see. That position contradicts the opinion of the faculty on admissions committees I have worked with, and most prefer those with in-person over virtual experiences. You must show you are not the "introverted, awkward" engineering student stereotype, and dentistry is extremely hands-on.

If you have Roseman, I would have added Pacific since you have all metrics pointing to it.
Concurring with @macsak : I don't know why you left off your Arizona dental schools or Colorado. You would likely be excluded against Buffalo, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Maryland unless you express very strong mission fit.

I did not add arizona schools because of their expensive tuition. But I added colorado thanks to @macsak. May I ask is the strong mission fit you mentioned? Is it expressed by personal statement?

I did not add arizona schools because of their expensive tuition. But I added colorado thanks to @macsak. May I ask is the strong mission fit you mentioned? Is it expressed by personal statement?
m.smiles will post his blog entries at some point
mission fit is expressed in your PS and secondaries, but it is demonstrated by your actions (ECs)...

Mission fit

Purpose