WAMC: Waiting to hear back c/o 2025. What to do if not accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rhetrick19

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I applied this cycle and am still waiting to hear back from schools. I'm looking for feedback on how to improve if not accepted this year. Thank you! 🙂

20 y/o Iowa resident. 1st time applicant.
School list: Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, and Colorado.


Culm GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.3 (VMCAS calculated, but I took biochem, physics, and physiology this semester, so if I need to reapply it should go up).
Last 45 GPA: 3.6

GRE: None require.

Awards/Honors:
-Dean’s list 2 semesters
-President’s list 2 semesters
-Dean’s scholarship
-Honors in high school (put on Iowa’s sub app)
-Top Reading State Assessment (High School)

Veterinary Experience:
-2,100 hours working as an assist at a small animal clinic
-220 hours shadowing at a mixed practice clinic (80% small, 20% large) I broke this up on VMCAS.
-15 hours shadowing large animal vets
-5 hours shadowing zoo vet
-6 hours working with vet on whale necropsy

Animal Experience
-440 hours doing weekend boarding (no vet present).
-100 hours of large animal husbandry on farm
-6 hours volunteering at equine barn
-15 hours volunteering at aquarium (Included shark husbandry).

Research
-225 hours doing great white shark population studies. I also assisted in studies on whales/dolphins and with smaller shark species.

Employment:
-Chemistry tutor 180 hours
-After school teacher at elementary school 350 hours
-Swim lesson instructor 500 hours
-Night manager at Dairy Queen 1,400 hours
-Model and actress with local agency 45 hours
-Worked at a daycare 80 hours
-Actress on Hawaii Five-O 40 hours

Volunteer:
-15 hours making ecobricks
-8 hours of beach clean ups
-10 hours at a local theatre club

Extracurriculars:
-Hiking (Several times a week)
-Photography 200 hours
-Theatre/Show choir (Involved for 8 years, over 4000 hours).
-Choir
-Speech club
-Football manager
-Traveling

Diversity:
-I grew up as a military brat. I've lived in 5 states and attended 12 schools so far. I talked a lot about this experience in my essays.
-Part Filipino

COVID:
-I was supposed to spend a month shadowing various vets in Costa Rica this past summer, but is was canceled due to COVID.

LORS:
-Small animal vet, my practice manager, a chem professor, trig professor

Right now my plan if I'm not accepted is to do a file review and work on boosting my sGPA a bit. I'm considering doing an online masters/certification or retaking some classes. I will continue working at my clinic and shadowing around. I've been looking into some opportunities abroad and have thought about doing a workaway program in Europe if covid permitting. Outside of vet med I'm planning my first completely solo backpacking trip and hope to spend a lot of time traveling.