Medical WAMC with low gpa and potentially high mcat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not a full WAMC as I don't have my MCAT back (took jan 23) but just looking for advice as it seems that people in this situation are relatively rare (~400 a year) and the advice given seems a bit inconsistent. I do not care about where I go as long as it gets me an MD or DO and is not super malignant. My only other goal would be to get a cheaper education but I will apply to my state school no matter what, and obviously no merit scholarships will be comin my way with a 3.4 sgpa, so really I just want to get in. Since I'm below 10% gpa but likely to be above 90% mcat at most schools no clue really how to approach this.

Stats--3.4ish sgpa, a bit higher cgpa, no real trend, no gpa repair or anything.

MCAT--applied last cycle with a 510ish Did not take the FLs last time so they were not retakes. Based on FLs (avg 521, last 526) thus far anticipate 520+, will change strategy if I somehow drop massively from FLs

ECs--decent. Great clinical experience, decent volunteering, slightly below average research, a few other significant life experiences/employment stuff

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to start on a list, especially since my low gpa high mcat is complicated by the retake. In no particular order, I've heard good things for low GPA high MCAT about usf, hofstra, wmich, washu (maybe too high stat but told they prefer mcat), dartmouth, mayo, duke, uchicago, tulane, keck, quinnipiac, tufts, georgetown, drexel, mayo, sinai, rfu, albany, cusm, geisenger, and rochester. Are any of these accurate/inaccurate? Would any of these be unwise to add to the list? I'll also apply DO but already have a pretty good idea of where I want to apply

We aren't really able to make bets without your final official MCAT score. What was your previous score and breakdowns? 510-iish (512?) is pretty good for many MD and very good for DO. This is a confidential forum, so if you want more specific advice, we would need more information similar to what you would provide for a WAMC post.

So we don't know where you are in life, if you are doing a gap year, where you attend school, what your state residency is, or any of your experiences that give us insight into your service orientation and clinical experience. Without this information, plugging and chugging numbers is not going to really help.

We will say that low GPA-high MCAT often will bring more critical focus on the GPA, so your grades in biomedical coursework, especially beyond prereqs is going to be needed.

Finances: Have you looked into HPSP, NHSC, or similar scholarship opportunities each school offers once you matriculate?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.