General Essays Getting High AI Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I wrote all my essays myself. Are they great? I'm not sure but I did write them myself. Yet when I put them into different AI detectors, I'm getting percentages of 60-90% Are medical schools using AI detectors? Which ones are they using? Are they trusting them blindly?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

For the reasons that you mention, these AI detectors are not being widely used because they are felt to be unreliable. Whether certain schools are using them, or how they are being used by a given school, is impossible to say. However I generally feel like nobody is getting rejected or making the decision to accept/WL based on an AI score on an essay.

Honestly, in addition to them being unreliable, I feel like it is impractical to widely screen essays this way because it takes a lot of time to put essays into an AI detector, and you wind up with information that is not actionable.

We don't know about the models used to train these systems, but just like we advise people to search for themselves online (back ten or so years when there was a fear admissions staff Googled applicants in our free time), this exercise is worth you doing in case anyone suspects you.

The features are evolving quickly so we aren't sure if we will get to a point where it is more accurate. Needless to say, plagiarism detection is more than a match game.

History lesson, but please check/confirm. Back in the 70s/80s, detectives or police thought they could convict a cocaine user by testing dollar bills that supposedly were used to inhale the powder. This became moot when it turned out trace levels of cocaine contaminated a lot of circulating bills so innocent people had contaminated money.

Status
Not open for further replies.