WAMC with minimal research and H1B visa required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in a US med school on an F1 visa hoping to get into an anesthesia program in the States. I was wondering what my chances were and where I should strongly consider applying if anyone's got any suggestions.

My stats are:

Step 1: 246
Step 2: 257
Alpha Omega Alpha student
M3 grades: Honored everything except pediatrics and surgery (got commendation for them instead). Honored several anesthesia electives with great comments from everybody. No negative comments anywhere in my evals.
Research: 1 presentation, 1 submission for publication, and worked on an anesthesia publication but didn't have my name authored.
Letters: Letters from very high well-known anesthesiologist chair, 1 CT anesthesiologist, and IM doc who wrote an amazing eval for me.
ECs: Average to above average. Various volunteering, lots of hobbies and interests.
Class rank: "excellent"

Basically I have very minimal research, average+ ECs, and some good grades/evals.

Any suggestions on where to apply? From what I understand, the big name hospitals like to see research and very few hospitals in general like to give out H1Bs visas.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Prob good for places like cleveland clinic that struggle to recruit US MDs/citizens

MGH, UCSF, UW Seattle take non-US citizens on a regular basis. My friend who was Canadian but attended a US med school trained at Northwestern. I know another Canadian US med school grad who trained at NYU but I don’t know if he was already a US citizen or green card holder at the time he applied to residency. My old program, UCSD, has a long history of taking German grads of German medical schools and are accustomed to sponsoring/processing visas.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Prob good for places like cleveland clinic that struggle to recruit US MDs/citizens
I did have my eyes on Cleveland clinic. Would you happen to know if they care much about research experiences?

I did have my eyes on Cleveland clinic. Would you happen to know if they care much about research experiences?
Relax, with your stats a program in the Midwest is highly likely to accept you and sponsor you. Why not look into 10 programs yourself by reaching out to them?

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to being exempt from the English proficiency proof requirement, individuals who have graduated from an accredited U.S. medical school are also exempt from having to prove passage of all steps of either FLEX, NBME, or USMLE in order to apply for an H-1B.

Reactions: 2 users
I went through this process. The h1b sponsorship will limit your choices. But big name places will take h1b because they have the resources and emphasis on talent to sponsor it. You will get into a decent residency program.

Reactions: 1 users
What about programs close to Canada where you can live in Canada and drive to work every day such as Buffalo or Detroit? Both should also be experienced with visas. Even if you train elsewhere they could be practice options while you work on getting a green card.

What about programs close to Canada where you can live in Canada and drive to work every day such as Buffalo or Detroit? Both should also be experienced with visas. Even if you train elsewhere they could be practice options while you work on getting a green card.
I don't believe Buffalo programs offer H1B. I know Henry Ford in Detroit does and I will definitely be applying there. Was hoping to see if I have a shot at places like Cleveland Clinic which is probably my top choice

Reactions: 1 user
I don't believe Buffalo programs offer H1B. I know Henry Ford in Detroit does and I will definitely be applying there. Was hoping to see if I have a shot at places like Cleveland Clinic which is probably my top choice

Not sure if still the case now, but these midwest places used to sponsor H1b:

Cleveland Clinic, Wayne State, HFHS, NMH, UIC, Rush, UofC, Mayo Clinic, WashU, UPMC, UPenn (if u consider it midwest)