WAMC: WSU, UCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fairyunicornz

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not on the most traditional path to vet school, and I have a crappy GPA to make up for, but I'd love to know your opinions on my chances. I can apply as either a Washington or California resident (long story), and I am more interested in UCD's vet school, but if I have absolutely no chance due to my GPA, I am more than happy to apply in-state to WSU.

My low GPA is due to an utter lack of maturity early on in my college career, after being the perfect student in high school. And as I settled down in my junior and senior years I was severely impeded by yet to be diagnosed ADHD (which I have worked on since, and have received great grades in the additional classes I've taken).

Almost all of my animal and veterinary experience has been with marine mammals. I was attempting to round this out with some domestic vet experience, but COVID messed that up for me.

Schools applying to: WSU, UC Davis, Oregon, Ohio
Cumulative GPA: 2.94 (from undergrad degree, slightly higher with additional prereqs)
Overall GPA: 2.94
Last 45 GPA: 3.09-3.10
Science GPA: 3.07
GRE: V: 161 (88%) Q: 163 (80%) A: 5.0 (92%)

Veterinary Experience:
  • 2 years (~1600+ hours) working as vet assistant as dolphin facility doing routine ultrasounds, sample collections (gastric, blood, fecal, sputum), analyzing cytology slides (sputum), restraining animals, observations, dolphin and shark necropsy
  • 20ish hours at a small animal clinic in the Caribbean helping out a stray dog shelter (would have been longer, but I left due to COVID)
Animal Experience:
  • Almost 5 years of a career working with marine mammals/zoo animals (1.5 year at zoo as intern/part time, 1 year paid position at Navy Marine Mammal Program, 2 years as trainer/vet assistant/leadership role at dolphin facility in Caribbean)
  • 10+ years as dog walker and pet sitter (cats, horses, dogs, some with medical conditions and specific requirements)
  • 3 months as a dog trainer at training/day care facility
  • Dog training and socializing volunteer at local humane society
  • Interpretive volunteer at local aquarium (maybe volunteer experience, not necessarily with animals)
Research:
  • 90 hours as research assistant on project monitoring elephant behavior at a zoo
  • 40 hours as lab assistant for conservation biology lab (swabbing mucous off of elk scat, yum)
Extracurriculars & Community Service:
  • Member (and later philanthropy chair) of a sorority
  • 50 hours volunteering at local food bank
  • 50 hours as after school volunteer tutor
  • Lettered swimmer in high school
  • Avid hiker, scuba diver, ambitious but novice baker...
Honors & Awards:
  • National Honor Society member
  • Received full undergrad scholarship to WSU and Oregon State (chose to not attend either)
Other Work Experience:
  • 6 years as seasonal lifeguard (high school and college)
  • Summer as science camp counselor
  • Online teacher (ESL and science)
  • Outreach intern for marine mammal rescue facility

Let me know what you think. I know I'm a stretch anywhere due to my GPA but I'm hoping my GRE, animal/veterinary experience and growth since my ADHD diagnosis will help give me a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

As you're a possible CA resident, they could do a holistic review of your application. If that's the case I'm afraid I have zero idea how you would do. They look at things like obstacles you overcame to get where you are and a lot of different factors that I'm sure I don't know the half of them. Low GPA is possible but I would apply more broadly, with the understanding that you IS school's might not accept you. Good luck!

I echo Coop's statement for applying broadly with schools that play into your favor. Your high GRE score does help you alot for WSU in getting an interview. I didn't apply as a WA resident, but your chances are better as an IS applicant. The below isn't a hard and fast rule but a generalization for landing an interview at WSU. @CoffeeQuestionMark or @Peaches95 might have more input since they were IS applicants.
https://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/academic-criteria

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your best bet for this cycle would probably be to apply in state to WSU! Your GRE scores are fabulous and will definitely be a boost at places that still look at them.

However, I think it could also be beneficial to take some more science coursework (even just through online classes) to increase your last 45 gpa and really demonstrate that you can handle the academic rigor/showcase how you have adapted your approach now that you have your diagnosis. Did you just finish undergrad?

fairyunicornz, I would invite you to look at the class statistics pages posted on UCD and WSU's websites. I'll post the links below. This is the absolute best way to gauge where you stand compared to students who have been invited for admission in recent years. Getting feedback from current students is helpful but applicant experiences are so varied individual to individual. Looking at the class stats is a great way to figure out where your money will best be spent on applications.

UCD: Application Statistics - Class of 2024
WSU: https://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/class-statistics

I think my colleague, meelc, makes an excellent point. Taking more science courses will help to boost every single one of your GPA metrics (last 45, sci, overall). Community colleges offer a ton of science courses. You could go for an associate degree that would take 2 years and give you plenty of time to boost your experience hours (as if you need it) and save some $$ :) You should also be proud of your GPAs and GRE scores! It sounds like you've overcome some adversity and are handling life well.