What are my chances-- NCSU, UCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorseObsessed

Reaction score
Hi all. I I'm not to applying quite yet (will be applying 2024-5 cycle) but I need to have a conversation with my parents about finances soon, as they may be able to help with tuition, and my mom is real convinced I'll be able to get in just about anywhere, because what mom isn't! I'd like to be able to go into the conversation with a little bit more realistic information for her, and I'd appreciate help with that. So-- what are my chances for NCSU (cheapest option for me, I am a Massachusetts resident technically) and what can I do to make them better?

I am interested in equine medicine for sure. All the on-farm surgery I've seen has been fascinating, so I a hoping at some point to shadow a hospital surgeon.

Cumulative GPA: 3.9
science GPA: 3.8
last 45: not sure yet!

Any degrees achieved

Just finished my sophomore year, will be doing senior year part time so really only have like 45 credits left to add to the GPA.
BS in biosciences with a minor in environmental studies at a competitive undergrad (<10% acceptance rate)

GRE results: N/A

Veterinary Experience:

~1300 hours equine (100 hours specialty lameness practice, ~1200 hours with a GP who focused on lameness and dentistry), paid as an unlicensed technician
~400 hours small animal GP as a veterinary technician assistant
75 hours shadowing a laboratory animal vet

Animal Experience:
8000+ hours taking care of and riding horses. Some my own horses, many paid hours as a groom
165 hours as a kennel technician
~40 hours hatching and raising chicks
This summer I will be working for the zoo hatching, raising, and releasing an endangered species of bird. It will be ~12 weeks of full time. I will be doing animal care but there will be some interaction with veterinarians.

Research Experience:
Starting this summer, I will be working in a drosophila lab that looks at the genetics of aggression.

Awards/scholarships:
-Won "best essay" awards Freshman- junior year of high school

Extracurriculars:
Officer of our LGBTQ students in STEM club (very low time commitment)
I will (hopefully) be an organic chemistry 1 TA next semester
Have done a few hours of volunteering at a food bank and will have time to do more next year
Member of a low-commitment club rugby team

Employment:
Cashier at a garden center in high school
Tutor for high school students in math, chemistry, and physics
Student lead worker at the organic garden at my university

Thank you all for your input! I am hoping I can be more realistic with my parents (and with how much debt I'll be willing to take on) with y'all's input.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1682271930102.gif
    1682271930102.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 84
Last edited:
You have UCD in your title, which technically refers to both Dublin and Davis, but I will work off the assumption it is Davis?

It's hard for me to say how things will shape up following the removal of the GRE. Previously, they basically only looked at OOS GPAs and GRE (technically LoRs were scored as well, but not weighted heavily).

Based on previous years, I'd be aiming strong for that 4.0 final 45 semester units if you want to competitive for Davis OOS, as 3.8 science is low for OOS. But as I said, things are changing for future cycles, and the details aren't out yet on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You have UCD in your title, which technically refers to both Dublin and Davis, but I will work off the assumption it is Davis?

It's hard for me to say how things will shape up following the removal of the GRE. Previously, they basically only looked at OOS GPAs and GRE (technically LoRs were scored as well, but not weighted heavily).

Based on previous years, I'd be aiming strong for that 4.0 final 45 semester units if you want to competitive for Davis OOS, as 3.8 science is low for OOS. But as I said, things are changing for future cycles, and the details aren't out yet on that.
Thank you for your reply! I didn't realize that they did not even look at other things. Wow!
I certainly don't have my heart set on Davis, nor will I be setting my heart on Davis. But is it worth taking the GRE even if schools don't require it just for them to see it? I tend to test well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! I didn't realize that they did not even look at other things. Wow!
I certainly don't have my heart set on Davis, nor will I be setting my heart on Davis. But is it worth taking the GRE even if schools don't require it just for them to see it? I tend to test well.
Yeah, Davis is not a holistic application process really, especially OOS. If the listed criteria are accurate, not sure they read OOS essays. Although maybe they do just to check for complete red flags? Possibly changing a little this year, we'll see.

I couldn't really say about the GRE. I'm inclined to say it's not worth the time/money if you don't have to, but you could probably get better info by reaching out to the schools that will still accept those scores.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to seek more advice--
I have decided what schools I am going to apply to, roughly: UGA, NCSU, TAMU, Davis, either tOSU or UF, and maybe Tufts (my IS).
With these schools in mind, what do I need to focus on in the next year to get My best chance at acceptance, other than work hard in my classes? Are there any things these schools particularly love, or any obvious weaknesses I have?

I am applying to Davis this year so I have all the updated information they look at. They are still weighting GPA very heavily but also are looking at “distance traveled score” which they don’t go into too much detail about other than it focuses on economic, environmental, and educational values (I’m guessing more of a diversity standpoint)
Definitely keep your grades as high as you can obviously. It would also help to find some leadership positions and anything you can find that would make you stick out for other applicants that also have similar gpa and hours. Also make super strong connections this year for letters of recommendations as schools factor in scores from those as well.

Georgia also takes only 19 OOS so I would keep that in mind as applications add up (for reference I have about 9 schools this year and VMCAS is around 1400 not including the school’s individual fees).
tOSU weights the interview heavily so make sure you’re good at that!

While your GPA is fantastic, I would keep in mind that TAMU takes a few OOS students as well. They only took 8 OOS students according to their website and they have a state law according to TMDAS limiting how many OOS they can can accept.