WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessebenBenjamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this part of SDN and have recently completed my psych rotation and I loved it. Hadn't really considered psychiatry until know, but would like to know what my chances are for matching into a good psych program (slight preference for California) and whether there is anything I can do in the next 2 years to strengthen my app. At the end of the day though I think I will be happy anywhere regardless of location or program status.

I'm a California native, Mexican American (if that matters) fluent in Spanish.
Currently attending a top school in California.
Step 1: Low 230s
Step 2: not taken yet

Have been doing research since undergrad but no publications so far in med school. Will probably do a small poster presentation in the coming months.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm new to this part of SDN and have recently completed my psych rotation and I loved it. Hadn't really considered psychiatry until know, but would like to know what my chances are for matching into a good psych program (slight preference for California) and whether there is anything I can do in the next 2 years to strengthen my app. At the end of the day though I think I will be happy anywhere regardless of location or program status.

I'm a California native, Mexican American (if that matters) fluent in Spanish.
Currently attending a top school in California.
Step 1: Low 230s
Step 2: not taken yet

Have been doing research since undergrad but no publications so far in med school. Will probably do a small poster presentation in the coming months.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Not sure but I'll direct you to this forum on sdn, since it's been asked recently. Hopefully someone else can help give feedback for you:
California Psych
Think it's a bit hard to "assess your chances" imo on sdn, but from what I understand, personal statements can make a difference if your scores aren't the greatest. But your step 1 is good enough for psych, so I wouldn't worry on thay, just do well on CK and do your best.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
from what I understand, personal statements can make a difference if your scores aren't the greatest
There's an entire current thread about how little the PS matters except the very few exceptional ones and the terrible ones.

Reactions: 1 users
There's an entire current thread about how little the PS matters except the very few exceptional ones and the terrible ones.
Hmm. Well that's based on my knowledge from residents/the nmrp and people who've read PS from past applicants. I wouldn't say it matters little, especially now. The PD nmrp from 2018/last cycle gave the percentage of programs citing each factor...this was a sample of 58: in order for top 5...
1.Dean's letter -91%/ avg rating of importance= 4.3/5 (5 being most important)
2. Personal statement 90%/ 4.2 rating of importance
Those are the highest in terms of %citing factor and ranking importance.
Then you have step 1 at 91%/3.6
LORs in psych 84%/4
Perceived commitment to specialty 84%/4.4
And step 2 CK 84%/3.7.
That's for interview selection.
For rank:
They care more about the interview, how you interact with faculty, That's 100%/4.9. interpersonal skills, interaction with household staff on interview and visit, and feedback from residents are the highest, 93-100 with 4.8+ importance.
Step 1 and PS are ~75%/3.8 and drop off pretty quickly, with CK more important but not as much as the others mentioned. But still, PS helps to get the interview...I've been told that for psych, the goal is to get the interview bc from there as long as they like you and see your interest, they are more likely to want you at their program, which is why the PS is important.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Matching in California

Please use the search function. You don't need to make two redundant threads

Hi! Yeah I tried looking around but I couldn't find any threads directly related to me. Most people are either DO students or MD students with semi-low step scores. Unfortunately no one really answered my question the other thread which made me to create this one.
I know it's unreasonable to ask feedback on super specific apps though so I understand!
Thank you for your time though!

Hi! Yeah I tried looking around but I couldn't find any threads directly related to me. Most people are either DO students or MD students with semi-low step scores. Unfortunately no one really answered my question the other thread which made me to create this one.
I know it's unreasonable to ask feedback on super specific apps though so I understand!
Thank you for your time though!
Just for reference, there's a whole WAMC mega-thread that we encourage people to post to. It was on the second page, but it's helpful to aggregate things there so we don't have tons of individual threads clogging up the main page: Unofficial WAMC Thread Psychiatry Residency 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.