WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do-md

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can you please help me take a look at my school list?
I'm Vietnamese, DAT not taken yet (~18-22), cGPA 3.84, sGPA 3.73, Texas resident, strong volunteer and dental experience records, mediocre LORs (I think), good interview skills.
Are there schools that do not disadvantage Asian / Viet? Feel free to add to the list. Thanks!

(TX 01) Texas A&M University
(TX 02) University of Texas (San Antonio)
(TX 03) University of Texas (Houston)
(NE 01) Creighton University
(MO 02) University of Missouri - Kansas City
(ME 01) University of New England
(VA 01) Virginia Commonwealth University
(OK 01) University of Oklahoma
(IA 01) The University of Iowa
(OH 01) Case Western Reserve University
(KY 02) University of Louisville
(MI 01) University of Detroit Mercy
(UT 02) University of Utah
(IN 01) Indiana University
(AZ 02) Midwestern University (AZ)
(IL 01) Midwestern University
(NY 02) New York University
(NV 01) University of Nevada, Las Vegas

Members don't see this ad.

why would any school disadvantage Asian/viet?

Why not apply to the new Texas Tech dental school opening up in El Paso? It doesn't cost anything, and you just apply through TMDSAS like the other three. It sounds to me like you're a pretty good candidate for in-state though, as long as you do well on the DAT (21 or up).
The Texas schools especially value diversity in their student body (race, gender, age, occupation, etc.), so I don't think being Vietnamese will necessarily put you at a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not apply to the new Texas Tech dental school opening up in El Paso? It doesn't cost anything, and you just apply through TMDSAS like the other three. It sounds to me like you're a pretty good candidate for in-state though, as long as you do well on the DAT (21 or up).
The Texas schools especially value diversity in their student body (race, gender, age, occupation, etc.), so I don't think being Vietnamese will necessarily put you at a disadvantage.
Yes I did apply, I forgot to mention. Thanks!

Wouldn't even bother applying to NYU. Unless you're rich, considering the military/NHSC, or dont' mind taking out 650k in loans, you're probably not gonna go there.

Reactions: 1 user
None of those schools give disadvantage to asian/viet.

Are you a greencard holder? If not, I think you're not counted as Texas resident so applying for dental schools in Texas might be a waste of time unless you have 23 or 24+ DAT score. Btw, your GPA is perfect though.

why would any school disadvantage Asian/viet?

For undergraduate (affirmative action), its been shown that a disadvantage was given to Asians during admissions (subtracted from ACT/SAT score, so if an Asian scored a 32 on the ACT, it would be treated like a 29), and advantages were given to blacks (score 32 ACT, treated like a 36), and white people were used as a baseline.

I don't know how it works for professional schools, but for undergraduate it has been shown in many surveys and studies that this is the case.

Reactions: 1 user