Quantcast

WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cubelife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Date of submission: 07/05/20

Overall GPA: 3.51

Science GPA: 3.60

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.61

DAT score: 22 AA, 24 TS, 23 Bio, 24 GC, 23 OC, 20 PAT, 21 RC, 18 QR

State of Residence: Illinois

Undergrad attended: MN State School

Major: Biology

Minor: N/A

Minority: Yes, AA

Reapplicant: No

Nontrad: No

Shadowing Experience: 115 hours. Mainly general dentist as well as several specialties such as OMFS and Perio.

Volunteering Experience: 460 hours. Served as a TA, volunteered at local soup kitchen, and assisted with holiday food drives for several years.

Employment: 2760 hours as a bike mechanic, 6240 hours as a personal care assistant.

Research: 180 hours. Consisted of three separate presentations.

Other Extracurriculars: 4 Year athlete, President of Pre-Health Club (2 years), Various other EC’s as well.

Relevant Honors or Awards: Athletics Scholarship, Magna cum Laude, Deans list (3x)

LOR type and strength: Four strong letters from an OMFS, Football coach, and two Professors whom I have gotten close to over the years.

Misc info/Things not state elsewhere: How bad will my QR and PAT hurt me? I feel like those brought my AA down.

School list:

Creighton

USC

Marquette

MWU IL

MWU AZ

Colorado

Roseman

Southern Illinois University

Tufts

UIC

Maryland

Minnesota

UNLV

Utah

Temple

S_Diamond_DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah you’ll probably do well this cycle. Out of curiousity, how did you pick your schools besides the ones from your state? This list seems semi-random.

Cubelife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah you’ll probably do well this cycle. Out of curiousity, how did you pick your schools besides the ones from your state? This list seems semi-random.
I just used a combination of the dental explorer and the OOS friendly post here on SDN to help get some ideas of schools that I might fit in based on my stats. Do you think I should add other schools?

S_Diamond_DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just used a combination of the dental explorer and the OOS friendly post here on SDN to help get some ideas of schools that I might fit in based on my stats. Do you think I should add other schools?
I’m just surprised these are the most oos friendly schools. You looked at the the number of seats taken by IL residents at each school in the explorer?

Cubelife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m just surprised these are the most oos friendly schools. You looked at the the number of seats taken by IL residents at each school in the explorer?
Yes for the most part. I also took the specific programs visions to see if they paralleled mine. The data in the explorer didn't explicitly state how many seats were taken by IL residents, but did state how many students were OOS and if any where from IL. What did you necessarily mean by my list is semi-random? Should I make some changes or apply to more competitive programs? Thanks for your feedback.

S_Diamond_DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Sounds like the explorer hides some of this data now. It’s semi random because a few a the schools you picked wouldn’t be ones I would expect to take a lot of IL residents- colorado, maryland, minnesota, utah, unlv. You might search google and get your hands on an old adea guide that has the actual distributions of IL residents. But I’m guessing these school might have had the same visions as yours. But regardless of where else you would apply, based on your profile, I think you’ll get in this cycle, ideally in your home state, assuming you present yourself well at interviews. And yes, you stand a chance at more competitive programs, I am surprised that you didn’t apply to michigan for example.