This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAMC/What do I do?

• Oh baby, have you considered nocturnal ceramics?

• Work in the gap year

• Do a masters/grad program

• Post-grad classes

• apply now, pray

Results are only viewable after voting.

natland

Reaction score
Hi! I am a senior at UGA and I'm finishing up my rec's now. I am worried about my chances because of my GPA. I have about a 3.2, 3.4 sGPA. I still have a chance with this last year to pull that up some but not really that much so I will likely end at most at a 3.3overall and 3.5sGPA. I have been doing GRE prep and I test well, my practice tests have been putting me at and a little above a 314. I work as a vet tech at a clinic, I've done a wildlife rehab internship and am sitting at about 1,000 hours now so by the time I apply I'll be at a good amount of hours. I am planning on taking a gap year before I apply because I know my application still needs some strengthening. I'm trying to decide what the best way to use this break to get into vet school would be. Masters program, straight up work experience, post-grad classes and work.... so many paths and I'm not sure what the best is. Advice/ WAMC is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Fellow senior at UGA here! I just applied to the UGA CVM this application cycle, and I would definitely reach out to Parker Moore (head of admissions) to set up a meeting and discuss what you need to do to put your best foot forward in applying to vet school. I've met with him and emailed with him, and he is so nice and helpful. One thing he has emphasized is that the GRE is the number one indicator for success in the UGA vet school, which definitely surprised me because other schools have said that the GRE has no correlation with their student outcomes so they are removing it from their application process. So, if you want to tailor your application to UGA, definitely try to do as well on the GRE as you can! A 314 is definitely competitive, especially if you're in-state. However, Parker also discussed how a low GPA or a low GRE is not the nail in the coffin for an applicant. They do view your application holistically and great recommendation letters, experiences, and essays will help compensate for a low GRE or GPA. Definitely set up a meeting with him to go over your application specifically and how you can improve! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto what Dana May said. Parker is awesome and can help you figure out where you could improve, but I think you still have a pretty good chance assuming you're in state. People have been accepted with low GPAs, so I would say spend your gap year forming really good relationships with vets that you know will write you killer recommendations. These people will basically be interviewed instead of you, so you want them to be able to talk you up really well. I'm a first year here, so if you have other questions let me know!

Hello! Fellow senior at UGA here! I just applied to the UGA CVM this application cycle, and I would definitely reach out to Parker Moore (head of admissions) to set up a meeting and discuss what you need to do to put your best foot forward in applying to vet school. I've met with him and emailed with him, and he is so nice and helpful. One thing he has emphasized is that the GRE is the number one indicator for success in the UGA vet school, which definitely surprised me because other schools have said that the GRE has no correlation with their student outcomes so they are removing it from their application process. So, if you want to tailor your application to UGA, definitely try to do as well on the GRE as you can! A 314 is definitely competitive, especially if you're in-state. However, Parker also discussed how a low GPA or a low GRE is not the nail in the coffin for an applicant. They do view your application holistically and great recommendation letters, experiences, and essays will help compensate for a low GRE or GPA. Definitely set up a meeting with him to go over your application specifically and how you can improve! Best of luck!

Thank you so much!! That's actually really good to know, I haven't talked to him yet just because I wasn't sure if it was worse to bring attention to myself with a bad GPA or to wait until I could pull it up more. Good luck on your applications!!!