MD & DO WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badatbiochem24

Reaction score
void

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you be more explicit in what you do with non-clinical volunteering? The impression I'm getting is that you're just dabbling in random opportunities just to get the hours checked off because research is more your cup of tea.

Your MCAT dictates a bit more of whether you should go MD or DO, and hopefully you've been able to work with DO's as an MA and in urgent care.

It's not too late to apply for a SMP. Many programs will still be scrambling to fill classes this summer (because some of those admitted wind up getting accepted to med school), so you can submit your app as soon as you can. You may want to ask about MCAT requirements as you are checking out those programs; some may give you conditional admission to the SMP depending on your MCAT. Find ones with linkages to schools you want to attend.

Regarding the SMP, would it make sense to do one for this cycle? I am assuming that if I began in the summer I would begin in may and finish in july (for the summer session). If I filled out amcas in may and submitted the beginning of june, then would those classes even appear on my application?
This is where you have to do your due diligence and ask the SMP directors before you submit an application to them. That's also why having linkages to short-track you to at least an interview to a school where you want to attend are critical, attractive benefits to being in an SMP. If you qualify for an interview through a linkage/articulation agreement, then the "outdated" AMCAS application you submitted is a moot point to that specific school.

Do you have any suggestions for SMPs? The postbac search on aamc is currently down so I am checking them out individually, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask for suggestions.

Also if anyone else has any input at all.
@gonnif has been discussing SMP's and postbacs for quite a while. I don't think we have a sticky/FAQ yet, and there seem to be more postbac options appearing every couple of years. (This is a link to a general list of questions to consider that @gonnif wrote in 2015 which are still true.)

In my opinion here are the important priorities to consider within those questions:
1) Geography or link to desired school(s)
2) Success in getting to the next step (medical, dental, physician assistant)
3) Advising and support structure

The rest of the questions are also important to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.