WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seasquirt33

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a junior and planning to apply to dental school this june.
Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.82
DAT score:
AA 21, TS 20, RC 24, QR 23, Bio 20, GC 18, OC 21, PAT 22
State of Residence: Illinois

Undergrad Attended: University of Tennessee
Major: Philosophy with a medical/ science concentration
Minor: Design studies Minor
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: 109- 169?
- 75 hours of RAM shadowing; basically free dental care given in makeshift facilities that mostly consisted of extractions, fillings, and cleanings. I would hold the suction and let the dentist know if the suction tank was getting full or just hold stuff for them and observed the procedures.
-35 hours shadowing my general dentist as well as an oral surgeon
- I'm unsure of how to categorize this experience: I helped give free medical care to Panamanian communities in need where shadowed doctors, and performed basic triage tasks (BP, Pulse, respiration, height, weight all in Spanish). We were supposed to have a dental station in the clinic, however when we got there the organization that we were working with informed us that they were not able to find a dentist willing to work at the clinic :((. Anyways, I used to be pre-medical and switched to pre-dental after randomly getting the opportunity to shadow a dentist, and absolutely loved it. So, I thought this would be a good experience to show why I no longer want to pursue medical school as the experience reinforced my passion for helping patients and alleviating their ailments, but at the same time showed me that the way in which a general physician operates doesn't seem as interesting to me as how a dentist works. (60 hours)
Volunteering Experience:
-76 non-clinical hours with meals on wheels
- 50 hours working as a school nurse in a local elementary school as well as being school chair at the elementary (meaning I manage all the other volunteers from my school that work the clinic)
Employment:
-Lifeguarding over 5000 hours at least (I've been doing it since sophomore year of high school)
- Phlebotomy at a Labcorp last summer ~200 hours
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: D1 rower for my first two years of college, but left due to changes in coaching staff and teammates that left the team feeling unfriendly and honestly a little toxic to be in (I just felt unhappy and started dreading having to go to practice just because I did not like the people who were on the team at that point).
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list all three years of college
LOR type and strength: Orgo prof (good) bio prof (average) Dentist (great)

School list:

UT Memphis
colorado
Chicago
Minnesota
Oklahoma
U of Utah
umich
UCSF
UMKC
Marquette
UDM
Roseman

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty good app.

How'd you pick these schools? no research is not a great look for UCSF, Michigan that are heavy research schools

Not applying to SIU?

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty good app.

How'd you pick these schools? no research is not a great look for UCSF, Michigan that are heavy research schools

Not applying to SIU?
I knew that I wanted to stay midwest/ west and am really hoping to get into a state school as I'll have GI Bill benefits covering most costs that way. So, I picked state schools in that area that had higher oos acceptances and that were in areas that I'd like to live. Also, I'm a very outdoorsy person and while the location wasn't a top factor it was still a factor which is why I'm not choosing schools like Iowa, Creighton, and SIU.

Additionally, I'm not interested in the southern Illinois area and SIU seems to be focused on making general dentists for southern Illinois (I want to specialize as well).

Is it even worth it to apply to UCSF and Michigan with no research and not being a science major?