WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

futuredentistyay

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can get into research-heavy schools without research, it just may help your application. But given your stats and DAT scores I'd say you are probably fine. I will say tutoring isn't the best volunteering you could be doing. Helping underserved populations is looked more fondly upon such as Soup Kitchens, Food pantries, etc. Get yourself into more uncomfortable situations if able.

Just make sure to include some safety schools and don't apply to only top-heavy schools even though you have a solid application, there's no guarantee. I'd apply to 6-8 schools, or more, with maybe 2-3 safeties. You don't need to apply to more than 10 or 12, that will be overkill.

Have you talked to admissions at Umich or volunteered at the dental school?

Reactions: 1 user
Overall GPA: 4
Science GPA: 4
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 28
State of Residence: MI

Major: Biology
Minor: none
Minority? no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: ~200+ from 2 general dentists
Volunteering Experience: 500+ tutoring virtually
Employment: 800+ receptionist at hotel
Research: no - will this hurt my chances at applying to ivy leagues + heavy research instit.?
Other Extracurriculars: my volunteering is my extracurriculars - founded a club at my school based on the organization I tutor through + member of predental + member of cultural club
Relevant Honors or Awards: honors during all my semesters + university scholarships
LOR type and strength: bio - strong, chem - not sure, english - strong, and general dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Did SHPEP at UofL
School list:
honestly not sure if it's worth applying to research heavy schools without research (ideally I would want to go to umich) please help!
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get into research-heavy schools without research, it just may help your application. But given your stats and DAT scores I'd say you are probably fine. I will say tutoring isn't the best volunteering you could be doing. Helping underserved populations is looked more fondly upon such as Soup Kitchens, Food pantries, etc. Get yourself into more uncomfortable situations if able.

Just make sure to include some safety schools and don't apply to only top-heavy schools even though you have a solid application, there's no guarantee. I'd apply to 6-8 schools, or more, with maybe 2-3 safeties. You don't need to apply to more than 10 or 12, that will be overkill.

agree here, have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at UMich d school?
also agree, 7-10 is okay as long as you don't only apply to UM, ivies, and UNC

I do tutor underserved populations and I've assigned many tutors to children from underserved populations. I'm also a partnership manager where I get multiple students of an underserved school assigned to tutors, and manage the whole process. Not sure if this helps

agree here, have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at UMich d school?
also agree, 7-10 is okay as long as you don't only apply to UM, ivies, and UNC
Yeah, I've done hands on activities offered by their school and volunteered at one of their big events

Reactions: 1 user
I do tutor underserved populations and I've assigned many tutors to children from underserved populations. I'm also a partnership manager where I get multiple students of an underserved school assigned to tutors, and manage the whole process. Not sure if this helps
What organization do you work for regarding this activity?

Why apply wisely? That's sort of scaring me. What do you mean?
It means don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Just bc you have great stats doesn’t mean you should only be applying to top 10 schools. Have some safety schools, target schools and reach schools. This covers your butt in case you don’t get into one of your top schools so you don’t have to reapply.

Reactions: 1 users
Why apply wisely? That's sort of scaring me. What do you mean?
why would you be scared?
or is this just a humblebrag?
i already posted what kinds of schools you should be looking at
just make sure your PS and secondaries are ok, and start practicing interviews...

Be reasonable with your list. Start geographically and add a few private schools. This means both of your in-state schools (UM, UDM) and expand outward (OSU, CWRU, Marquette, UIC, Louisville, LECOM, Pitt, Indiana). This gets you 10. You can add other schools like the dental Ivys (say Columbia, Harvard, Pennsylvania, UCSF). Read Building Your Best School List - SDN , especially for a link to making a spreadsheet. Cross the list against the DSE regarding stats and requirements.

Hope you went to the ADEA GoDental Fair. Do solid networking and make the schools want you. Focus on your purpose as a dentist and your fit with each school's mission and patient base. Check for costs and curriculum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It means don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Just bc you have great stats doesn’t mean you should only be applying to top 10 schools. Have some safety schools, target schools and reach schools. This covers your butt in case you don’t get into one of your top schools so you don’t have to reapply.
I've done a little research, and I've come up with the following:
Are there any other schools you'd recommend adding to my list? (this list isn't concrete yet though)
University of MIchigan - Ann Arbor
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Louisville
Case Western Reserve University
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Texas - Houston
UCLA
University of Tenessee
Harvard University
University of Illinois - would have to take a chem course
Columbia
University of Florida
UCSF

I've done a little research, and I've come up with the following:
Are there any other schools you'd recommend adding to my list? (this list isn't concrete yet though)
University of MIchigan - Ann Arbor
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Louisville
Case Western Reserve University
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Texas - Houston
UCLA
University of Tenessee
Harvard University
University of Illinois - would have to take a chem course
Columbia
University of Florida
UCSF
please explain why/how your research led to this list...

please explain why/how your research led to this list...
I looked into the schools I could actually apply regarding stats, prereqs, and AP credits. From there, I narrowed down to schools that were somewhat close to me. I also picked a few schools like Florida and Texas, which I would consider going to if I got accepted.

You definitely don't need to apply to this many schools, it will cost you almost 3-4k just to apply to that many. I applied to 9 and that was almost 2k. Unless you want to spend that much to try and get into a ton of schools or want to have options. If you target 6-8 schools you should have some luck and save a lot more money

I looked into the schools I could actually apply regarding stats, prereqs, and AP credits. From there, I narrowed down to schools that were somewhat close to me. I also picked a few schools like Florida and Texas, which I would consider going to if I got accepted.
uflorida unc and texas schools are extremely difficult to get into out of state
your stats will help there, though
you really should take off UDM
and you really don't need to apply to that many schools if you apply wisely...

With your stats and app, you don’t need to apply to that many schools. I’d say apply to 2 safeties max if you want. Chances are very very good you’ll get accepted to at least one of the highly selective schools. Your high GPA will be attractive to Harvard, your high DAT will be attractive to Columbia, your overall stats and volunteering will get you into Penn, and Michigan is one of your state schools that I’m sure will accept you

Status
Not open for further replies.