WAMC -International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sydddd

Reaction score
Date of submission: 01/17/2024, for coming cycle
Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.6
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.62
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

Bio-21
GC-19
OC-20
PAT-19
RC-19
QR-19
AA- 20
TS-20

State of Residence: International- Canadian citizen

Undergrad Attended: Community college for 2 years, currently second semester at Southern Methodist University. Junior standing.

Major: Biology BS
Minor: Chemistry and French
Minority? No, Middle Eastern
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150hrs general dentistry. 50hrs Orthodontics. 125hrs of RDA work. Dad is an Ortho, and I grew up in the field (I know those hours don't count.)
Volunteering Experience: ~350hrs. Run a nonprofit for Syrian orphanages.
Research: 200hrs of genetics fern research. No publications.

Other Extracurriculars: Current exec for Pre-dental club and Arab Culture club. 2 years of student government.

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Not yet; going to impression days in March.

Relevant Honors or Awards: Awarded a full ride for a year at my community college. Awarded a full ride at SMU for 5 semesters as a transfer student. 2 semesters on the President’s list. 1 semester Dean’s List.

LOR type and strength: 3 science faculty. 2 strong, 1 not so sure. 1 dental faculty. 1 English professor. HPAC recommendation.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I am not so sure if this matters, my advisor said it could work against me, but I’m currently 18 years old (I got put ahead in middle school). Also, registered RDA in Texas. I haven’t taken A&P but will do so in my senior year. Mostly all A’s till last Fall semester, where I got a B- in both Microbio and Biochem since I was also studying for the DAT and had just transferred and adjusted.

School list: (applying broadly)
New York University
Nova Southeastern University
University of Detroit Mercy
Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry USC
University of Minnesota
Case Western Reserve University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Oregon Health & Science University
University of New England
Tufts University
Texas A&M
The Maurice H. Kornberg
Creighton University
University of Michigan
University of Kentucky
University of Pittsburgh
Midwestern University IL
Kansas City University College of Den Med
Touro - New York Medical College
Boston University

My advisor suggests retaking and applying in 2025, but I would like a second opinion. Advice? Retake and wait till the next cycle? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Bio-21
GC-19
OC-20
PAT-19
RC-19
QR-19
AA- 20
TS-20

Undergrad Attended: Community college for 2 years, currently second semester at Southern Methodist University. Junior standing.

Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150hrs general dentistry. 50hrs Orthodontics. 125hrs of RDA work. Dad is an Ortho, and I grew up in the field (I know those hours don't count.)

Other Extracurriculars: Current exec for Pre-dental club and Arab Culture club. 2 years of student government.

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Not yet; going to impression days in March.

Relevant Honors or Awards: Awarded a full ride for a year at my community college. Awarded a full ride at SMU for 5 semesters as a transfer student. 2 semesters on the President’s list. 1 semester Dean’s List.

LOR type and strength: 3 science faculty. 2 strong, 1 not so sure. 1 dental faculty. 1 English professor. HPAC recommendation.

I am not so sure if this matters, my advisor said it could work against me, but I’m currently 18 years old (I got put ahead in middle school). Also, registered RDA in Texas. I haven’t taken A&P but will do so in my senior year. Mostly all A’s till last Fall semester, where I got a B- in both Microbio and Biochem since I was also studying for the DAT and had just transferred and adjusted.

New York University
University of Minnesota
Tufts University
Texas A&M
The Maurice H. Kornberg
Creighton University
University of Michigan
University of Kentucky
University of Pittsburgh
Midwestern University IL
Boston University

My advisor suggests retaking and applying in 2025, but I would like a second opinion. Advice? Retake and wait till the next cycle? Thanks in advance :)
when did you take dat?
do you feel you could do better if you retake?

What's interesting is that you will likely be going to impressions programs at your close Texas schools, right? You need to get feedback on whether they would take students with similar international status, even though you have a certification in Texas. I don't know how TMDSAS manages this, so you need to connect with the TMDSAS team and the individual schools. I am not sure if your immigration status is the reason your advisor thinks you should wait... what was their reason? Your DAT scores are solid in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you take dat?
do you feel you could do better if you retake?
Last Friday, lol. I could definitely score better, but I'd have to study for it in the summer and apply for the next cycle. I'm not completely feeling a gap year unless I have no shot.

Bio-21
GC-19
OC-20
PAT-19
RC-19
QR-19
AA- 20
TS-20

Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

New York University
University of Minnesota
Tufts University
Texas A&M
The Maurice H. Kornberg
Creighton University
University of Michigan
University of Kentucky
University of Pittsburgh
Midwestern University IL
Boston University

have you checked if those schools are international friendly?

Texas schools arent international friendly, as long as you understand that it is incredibly difficult to get in unless you are a US-TX resident, then feel free to apply (A&M took 1 international student for 2026). the other schools on your list seem fine, would also consider Marquette. Your DAT score is okay, just apply early to give yourself the best shot for admission.

Reactions: 1 user