WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent1202

Reaction score
Date of submission: Likely around June 1st
Overall GPA: 3.98
Science GPA: 3.95
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.95
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 22, TS: 23, PAT: 22, BIO: 26, OCHEM: 23, CHEM: 21, QR: 19, RC: 22
State of Residence: New York

Major:
Biology
Minor: Business
Minority? No, white female
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
180 hours total (5 general dentists for total of 120 hours. Endo, ortho, and prostho specialities for 60 hours)
Volunteering Experience: 160 hours total (50 hours at local soup kitchen. 110 hours helping tutor underserved communities)
Employment: Teaching assistant for intro lab course, work at a pharmacy while not in school
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-dental club and investment club at school
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list all enrolled semesters, academic scholarship, phi beta kappa
LOR type and strength: 2 science, 1 dentist, and health committee letter
School list:
Buffalo, University of New England, LECOM, UConn, Marquette, Rutgers, Michigan, Touro, Pittsburgh, Maryland, NOVA, Ohio State

Please let me know if you think I can get into any of these schools and any advice you may have, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely don't need 12 schools, I would throw out NOVA and LECOM unless you would actually attend them. You have a lot of state schools, and they aren't all OOS friendly - OSU, UConn, Michigan. You have a solid application and stand a good chance but you should just have a heads-up on that. You could probably apply to 7-9 schools and get into a few of them. What are your ties to UMich, UConn, or Ohio?

I would apply to regional schools at the very least:

Buffalo, Stony Brook?, UNE, Rutgers, Maryland, Touro, UConn (would be tough), and the rest are tossups on where you'd like to go, just get to ~9 schools where you fit their mission and just be realistic with yourself. If the school was your only acceptance, would you still go? if yes, then add it, if not, it's not worth the money applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Date of submission: Likely around June 1st
Overall GPA: 3.98
Science GPA: 3.95
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.95
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 22, TS: 23, PAT: 22, BIO: 26, OCHEM: 23, CHEM: 21, QR: 19, RC: 22
State of Residence: New York

Major:
Biology
Minor: Business
Minority? No, white female
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 180 hours total (5 general dentists for total of 120 hours. Endo, ortho, and prostho specialities for 60 hours)
Volunteering Experience: 160 hours total (50 hours at local soup kitchen. 110 hours helping tutor underserved communities)
Employment: Teaching assistant for intro lab course, work at a pharmacy while not in school
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-dental club and investment club at school
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list all enrolled semesters, academic scholarship, phi beta kappa
LOR type and strength: 2 science, 1 dentist, and health committee letter
School list:
Buffalo, University of New England, LECOM, UConn, Marquette, Rutgers, Michigan, Touro, Pittsburgh, Maryland, NOVA, Ohio State

Please let me know if you think I can get into any of these schools and any advice you may have, thank you!
too many schools
can prob take off the florida privates...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you afraid of Philadelphia? No Temple or Penn? Can you put them in instead of Michigan or Ohio State? I don't know about UConn OOS, but maybe replace with Tufts or BU. Could get a shot for the Ivys, but not completely sure in the research side (since you have claimed zero). What is your vision as a dentist?

You definitely don't need 12 schools, I would throw out NOVA and LECOM unless you would actually attend them. You have a lot of state schools, and they aren't all OOS friendly - OSU, UConn, Michigan. You have a solid application and stand a good chance but you should just have a heads-up on that. You could probably apply to 7-9 schools and get into a few of them. What are your ties to UMich, UConn, or Ohio?

I would apply to regional schools at the very least:

Buffalo, Stony Brook?, UNE, Rutgers, Maryland, Touro, UConn (would be tough), and the rest are tossups on where you'd like to go, just get to ~9 schools where you fit their mission and just be realistic with yourself. If the school was your only acceptance, would you still go? if yes, then add it, if not, it's not worth the money applying.
Thank you for your help! I don’t have any real ties to OSU, umich, or UConn but noticed they were all public schools and relatively cheap. I like the programs at UConn and umich but know they’re very hard to get into especially OOS. Do you know any OOS friendly schools that are also relatively cheap? I know my school list was long but just scared I wouldn’t get in anywhere and be left with no options.

Why are you afraid of Philadelphia? No Temple or Penn? Can you put them in instead of Michigan or Ohio State? I don't know about UConn OOS, but maybe replace with Tufts or BU. Could get a shot for the Ivys, but not completely sure in the research side (since you have claimed zero). What is your vision as a dentist?
I’ve heard Temple is in a bad area of Philly and Penn is super expensive. My vision as a dentist is to own a practice one day, at the moment I’m thinking of general dentistry. Do you think lack of undergrad research significantly hurts my chances at these schools?

I’ve heard Temple is in a bad area of Philly and Penn is super expensive. My vision as a dentist is to own a practice one day, at the moment I’m thinking of general dentistry. Do you think lack of undergrad research significantly hurts my chances at these schools?
wait, you are asking if your lack of research hurts you at the list of schools in your original post?
you need to do more research on which schools are research heavy...

Thank you for your help! I don’t have any real ties to OSU, umich, or UConn but noticed they were all public schools and relatively cheap. I like the programs at UConn and umich but know they’re very hard to get into especially OOS. Do you know any OOS friendly schools that are also relatively cheap? I know my school list was long but just scared I wouldn’t get in anywhere and be left with no options.
You’ll get in somewhere if you apply to the right schools. Applying to a lot of OOS schools that don’t accept a lot of OOS students is one way to screw yourself over. I would apply to 1-2 max if they are regionally located for you, which OSU and Michigan are a little bit of a stretch. Yes they’re cheap, but only if you can get IS tuition after a year. UMN is a state school but for OOS students it’s >550k/4 years, that’s almost as expensive as other private schools if not more
wait, you are asking if your lack of research hurts you at the list of schools in your original post?
you need to do more research on which schools are research heavy...
Cough*** UMich…. A quick NIH funding for dental schools can answer the rest, OP

Having research experience is a plus for schools that have a focus on research, which are mostly public schools with exceptions of Ivys. It won’t kill your app to have none if you make up for it in other sections; volunteer work, leadership roles, etc.