WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LorenR

Reaction score
Date of submission: Early upcoming cycle
Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.70
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.83 (I only included Gen Bio, OChem, Gen Chem, and Physics)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PA:20 QR:21 RC:18 BIO:22 GC:20 OC:22 TS:21 AA:21
State of Residence: Florida

Undergrad Attended:
FIU
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
~400 With general dentist
Volunteering Experience: ~200 Hours at a hospital assisting with patients
Employment: Starting as a pathologist associate soon
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Not really anything major
Relevant Honors or Awards: Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa (if these count)
LOR type and strength: 1 Dentist (Strong) 2 Science (1 Strong 1 Mid) 1 Non-science (Mid)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:

Need help with this mostly
Nova
UF
LECOM
Indiana University
A.T. Still University
Boston University
Midwestern University - AZ
University of Kentucky
University of Detroit
University of Colorado
University of Iowa
Temple
Roseman University
New York University
Western University
Texas Tech University
University of Pittsburgh
UPenn
University of Nebraska
University of Maryland

Members don't see this ad.

First off, can easily cut down your list to 8-10 schools, and you should try to narrow it down to 1-2 regions. You have ~4 here so we should try to reduce it.

NOVA, LECOM, and especially UF should stay.
I would keep schools in areas you want to practice. East coast? Southwest? I would toss out Texas-Tech unless you have serious connections to Texas, I don't think your app is strong enough and would be a waste of $300 unless you absolutely would attend if given an interview or acceptance. You Could do UAG, UTHS, UAlabama since those are more regionally close. UNC may be a slight reach, but may be worth a shot.

Schools I would toss out: Iowa, Detroit, NYU, Western, Boston, Nebraska. Either extremely expensive or hard to get into as an OOS student, or Detroit not being a desirable/safe school. Boston, NYU, and Western are all 130k+ a year to attend.

If you can narrow down a region, it will be easier to toss schools out. Again, aim for 8-10. With your GPA/DAT you should be able to get a couple of interviews if nothing else is wrong with your app. Nothing screams at me, only thing I'm curious about is the pathology associate. Can you elaborate more on that?

Double-check to make sure you have all prerequisites for schools. Some require more than others. If you have microbio, anatomy, physiology, and biochem that should check off 95% of all boxes for schools. I didn't take microbio and anatomy and couldn't apply to some schools.

Your best chances are probably regionally close to Florida and the east coast. You may find it challenging to explain to admissions why you'd want to go out west/midwest unless you have connections to the state the school resides in. Food for thought. If there's a school I recommended to add/remove and you disagree, by all means it's your app! Apply to what schools you want, but the best advice I've heard: If that was the only school that accepted you, would you attend? if yes, then it's worth applying to.

Good luck and get your app in early!

Reactions: 1 users
First off, can easily cut down your list to 8-10 schools, and you should try to narrow it down to 1-2 regions. You have ~4 here so we should try to reduce it.

I would keep schools in areas you want to practice. East coast? Southwest? I would toss out Texas-Tech unless you have serious connections to Texas, I don't think your app is strong enough and would be a waste of $300 unless you absolutely would attend if given an interview or acceptance. You Could do UAG, UTHS, UAlabama since those are more regionally close. UNC may be a slight reach, but may be worth a shot.

Schools I would toss out: Iowa, Detroit, NYU, Western, Boston, Nebraska. Either extremely expensive or hard to get into as an OOS student, or Detroit not being a desirable/safe school. Boston, NYU, and Western are all 130k+ a year to attend.

If you can narrow down a region, it will be easier to toss schools out. Again, aim for 8-10. With your GPA/DAT you should be able to get a couple of interviews if nothing else is wrong with your app. Nothing screams at me, only thing I'm curious about is the pathology associate. Can you elaborate more on that?

Double-check to make sure you have all prerequisites for schools. Some require more than others. If you have microbio, anatomy, physiology, and biochem that should check off 95% of all boxes for schools. I didn't take microbio and anatomy and couldn't apply to some schools.

Your best chances are probably regionally close to Florida and the east coast. You may find it challenging to explain to admissions why you'd want to go out west/midwest unless you have connections to the state the school resides in. Food for thought. If there's a school I recommended to add/remove and you disagree, by all means it's your app! Apply to what schools you want, but the best advice I've heard: If that was the only school that accepted you, would you attend? if yes, then it's worth applying to.

UNC is not a slight reach...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: Early upcoming cycle
Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.70
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.83 (I only included Gen Bio, OChem, Gen Chem, and Physics)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PA:20 QR:21 RC:18 BIO:22 GC:20 OC:22 TS:21 AA:21
State of Residence: Florida

Undergrad Attended:
FIU
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
~400 With general dentist
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Not really anything major
Relevant Honors or Awards: Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa (if these count)
LOR type and strength: 1 Dentist (Strong) 2 Science (1 Strong 1 Mid) 1 Non-science (Mid)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:

Need help with this mostly
Nova
UF
LECOM
Indiana University
A.T. Still University
Boston University
Midwestern University - AZ
University of Kentucky
University of Detroit
University of Colorado
University of Iowa
Temple
Roseman University
New York University
Western University
Texas Tech University
University of Pittsburgh
UPenn
University of Nebraska
University of Maryland
remove these schools
Roseman University
New York University
Western University
Texas Tech University
University of Detroit

Shadowing Experience: ~400 With general dentist
That's a LOT of shadowing, but you are also keeping a foot with medicine with your hours of hospital assisting and becoming a path associate. Are you really passionate about being a dentist? Why not get a job as a dental assistant? Granted, we don't have any sense of chronology with this, so maybe there's something there.

Any community service at all that could fit the "volunteering" category?

Last edited:
That's a LOT of shadowing, but you are also keeping a foot with medicine with your hours of hospital assisting and becoming a path associate. Are you really passionate about being a dentist? Why not get a job as a dental assistant? Granted, we don't have any sense of chronology with this, so maybe there's something there.

Any community service at all that could fit the "volunteering" category?
I stopped volunteering at the hospital around when COVID made it to the US, and started shadowing after I got vaccinated. Path associate is really just a small job at the moment I probably not gonna mention it cause the start date is after I should have submitted my application.

Thank you for the help by the way I fixed my schools to reflect only east coast schools.

Georgia at Augusta Uni
University of Pennsylvania
University of South Carolina
University of Alabama
University of Pittsburgh
University of Maryland
Temple
LECOM
Nova
UF