WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AboodS

Reaction score
Date of submission:
Overall GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.88
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA
State of Residence: Canada (Alberta)

Undergrad Attended:
University of Calgary
Major: Cellular, Molecular and Microbial Biology (Honours)
Minor:
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
100 hours of shadowing a general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 120 hours of clinical volunteering
Employment: No employment
Research: 1 year of research, no pubs
Other Extracurriculars:
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list every year for 4 years, Scholarship every year for 3 years, graduating First Class Honours
LOR type and strength: 1 from general dentist (good) , 1 from PI (good), 1 from science prof (okay)

I'll be applying to UBC, McGill, UofA & UofT. WAMC for these schools?
Also open to hearing what schools should apply to in the states as a Canadian.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not very familiar with Canadian schools, however, there are a few Canadian-friendly schools you could apply to in the States. The ones that come to mind are Minnesota, UDM, Touro, NYU, Boston, and TUFTS. However, there are more.

You can browse the new 2028 threads for all US schools and you can see how many international students get accepted into US schools to see which ones are more international friendly. Most southern schools, with the exception of Florida, NOVA and LECOM, aren't very international friendly. You're most likely to have the best success with northern states that line the Canadian border, and northeast schools.

A 3.8 and a 21AA are both solid scores. I would say the only thing that you could improve upon is your volunteering. I would try to get volunteer work with the less fortunate if you are able to; places that serve the poor and needy, and get you more out of your comfort zone.

If you plan on applying to US Schools, plan to apply to a lot. You are fighting for far fewer seats compared to US students. So make sure to do a little research on where you stand the best chances. Good luck!

Obviously, if you grew up and lived most of your life in Alberta, your odds at U of AB are going to be in your favour. Have you done any networking with students currently at U of A? How well are you doing with Casper or other SJT's? What's your PAT?

What are your extracurricular activities? What hobbies show your fine manual dexterity? Why should anyone want you as a student colleague? Why should I interview you?