WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/24, Utah Resident
Overall GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.4
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
Postbacc GPA: 3.73
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
21AA, 23TS, 20 PAT, 18QR, 19RC

Major: Business
Minor: Professional Sales
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes. Spent close to 7 years working in software sales. Decided to pivot and go back to school to pursue dentistry. Married with kids. Working full time.

Shadowing Experience: 230 hrs. Mix between 3 general dentists and 1 Endo
Volunteering Experience: 120. Mix between Organic chemistry tutoring and youth hockey player development camps.
Employment: Full time employee for a small CNC machine shop. (Non dental related, but it pays the bills).
Research: None
LOR type and strength: 2 letters from science professor (probably mediocre),1 letter from a dentist (strong), 1 letter from current employer (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Going to school full time, working full time ( 6pm-2am), and being a husband & father has definitely made it hard to gain more meaningful volunteer hours as there just isn't much free time throughout the week. But I am planning to add more volunteer hours throughout the cycle. There isn't much info out there for NonTrad students that are coming from a different career field so any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated.
School list:

University of Utah (already denied)
Roseman
MWU (Invited for Interview)
Creighton
OHSU
University of Louisville
UNLV
VCU
University of Washington
Western University
UNE
Loma Linda
Dalhousie
University of the Pacific
LECOM

Members don't see this ad.

Why did Utah reject you? Your app is great, early, and they’re you’re state school. Do you have the required prereqs done? What could they possibly have not liked? Their loss imo you should get in somewhere based on what’s presented unless there is a huge red flag we aren’t aware of

OP: sorry that your obvious in-state screened you out. I also presume it's the lack of volunteering as well. I know it's hard to balance that with family, but your education and the rest of the life you want will have scattered opportunities here.

We have many nontrad applicants (especially on the premed side) who have made volunteering work for them, even with kids. Sometimes I think they include the kids if they are of an appropriate age. Food pantry, housing rehab, job/tax preparation, transportation usually fit the bill.

Have you worked with any dentists/dental labs on mouthguards for your hockey kids? Especially if you are working with athletes with really underfunded budgets, boys don't have enough money to get custom-fitted mouthguards. See if your local dental society has such a program.

Reactions: 1 user