SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Wannabe OD seeking advice on dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by kristian, Apr 20, 2007.

1. kristian

kristian 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Hey guys, I am seeking a bit of advice. I've got 3 more semesters to graduate with an undergraduate degree in economics. However, I've been thinking about optometry for the last year or so. Pretty much the pre-optometry requirements, as you know, are about 3 semesters. Now, my question is...should I continue on with my 3 semesters of economics classes or should I start taking the science classes? I would prefer to start taking the science classes, but what are my chances of getting into optometry school without a bachelor's? Currently, I will have 89 credits after this semester is over in 2 weeks....and then adding the pre-reqs course credits would give me well over 120 I'd imagine...so, considering I plan to be a good student and plan to get a 3.5 gpa (current gpa 3.3) in the pre-reqs science courses, should I just start taking them without having graduated?

sorry for it being kind of long, but you can see it's a lot to explain. I would appreciate any advice...
    Thank You

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. rallthenamesgon

rallthenamesgon 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I am sort of in your same boat. I am taking all of the pre-req sciences classes starting next fall and I will be applying to optometry school without a degree. So my answer to you is to go ahead and get the science classes knocked out. You don't have to have a degree to get accepted. The only schools that require a degree are SCCO, UHCO and Berkeley. Unless these are the schools that you want to get in?

4. kristian

kristian 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Thanks for your answer. Well, I know that they don't "require" it, but they "prefer" it...so what are the chances of us getting in without a degree....:hungover:
    By the way, I think I'll end up with about 120 college credits, which is enough to get a degree, but unfortunately my courses don't add up to a degree because I've taken so many different ones...But the fact that I will have an amount of close to graduation level credits...shouldn't that say that I'm serious about studying....

good luck:luck:

5. fonziefonz

fonziefonz 7+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Science courses will more than likely bring down your average, not raise it.

6. kristian

kristian 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2007
    What do you mean?? It's all relative to the person....

7. fonziefonz

fonziefonz 7+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2006
    True. No offense, but science courses are some of the most difficult in university for most people. And you are coming from a completely unrelated background of economics. So its not going to be a walk in the park...

8. KHE

KHE Senior Member Optometrist SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2005
    I would take the economics classes and maybe throw in a science course or two over the summer. Would any of the science credits be able to go towards your economics degree? I would consult your advisor, but one way or another I would finish that degree in economics. You never know what the future will hold and it would be a shame to have gone as far as you have and not finish that degree. One way or the other, get the degree.

9. kristian

kristian 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Thanks.
    Well, how about this...If I don't get accepted in any schools after I finish the science courses, then I can go back and finish my economics. Then, I can re-apply. The point that I'm trying to make is that if I have a mediocre chance of getting accepted without a bachelor's, then I'd take it. If I don't get accepted, I can always go back and finish, then re-apply. That way I don't have to waste a year and a half getting something that I didn't really need....Maybe I sound confusing, but what do you guys think?

10. prettygreeneyes

prettygreeneyes Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Guarded by Ninjas
    It sounds as though you have already answered your own question. I get the impression that you don't want to finish the economics degree. If this is true, then don't finish it. I believe if you are that far along, you should, but if you feel it is a "waste of a year" then take the science classes and apply. There are schools that accept students without degrees. Check with those schools to see if you are at a disadvantage for not having the degree (which if your GPA and OAT scores are competitive, I don't think you would be) and what you can do to improve your chances.

11. kristian

kristian 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2007
    lol, I guess you're right. I kind of am answering my own question. But I'm asking you guys if my decision is a good idea. So basically, I better have a 4.0 in the pre-reqs and a very good score on OAT if I am to even think about applying without a bachelor's?

12. prettygreeneyes

prettygreeneyes Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Guarded by Ninjas
    If I were you I would finish the degree while taking an additional science class or two. It is always a good idea to have a back up plan. (Not only because the application process is uncertain at times, but also because you may discover that you don't like optometry at some point, and having an economics degree is a way out if you need it to be.) As I said before though, it sounds like you don't like economics anymore, so what we think shouldn't matter.

There are plenty of people who have been accepted without a degree that didn't have a 4.0, or anything close to it. You really should talk to an admissions counselor at the school you are interested in. There are so many factors that are examined, and having your degree is only one of them.

13. rallthenamesgon

rallthenamesgon 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Now that's what I'm talking about! If you feel that you have a chance you should go for it instead of wondering "what if?" Only you know what you are capable of when it comes to the science courses. If you feel that you can get a great science gpa, then I say go for it, but that's just my outlook on things. You only live once, and you should be happy in all areas of your life. It's like prettygreeneyes said though, it shouldn't matter what we think because you are the one that has to make the decision in the end. Good luck:thumbup:

14. KHE

KHE Senior Member Optometrist SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2005
    One way or the other, I would finish the degree in economics. You will not be wasting a year. One of the things that you are going to come to realize, if you haven't already, is that life is not linear. It will almost certainly take you on many twists and turns. Truth be told, if you would have told me 10 years ago what I would be doing now, and living where I'm living, and married to who I am married to, I would have thought you were crazy. The point of all this is that you never know where life will take you and you never know when having completed that degree will come in very handy. Not only that, I'm sure you've paid thousands of dollars for all the course work up till this point.

One of the other things you will come to realize is that if something is a good idea today, it is almost always going to be a good idea tomorrow. Because of that, I would finish the degree.