Want pediatrics badly, comlex kinda sucks :o(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nostril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I frequently creep around the forums to learn and stuff but decided to finally write to see if you guys can help me out with my dilemma.

AOA pediatrics only has 17 programs participating this year and most of them are dually accredited with the ACGME. They're decently competitive and I got a 480 (81) on COMLEX level 1. Most programs I've contacted require at least a 500. I didn't take USMLE because I naively didn't look to see how many AOA programs there are at the time (it's primary care so I didn't think it would be a problem!). I'm 20 points below the recommended score and I haven't taken COMLEX II yet, but will be soon (studying for it now).

Do you guys think the programs that ask for a 500 will at least look at my app if I'm 20 points below or will they just throw it away? Do you think 480 is good enough for peds ( the DO-GME MATCH 2011 document said the avg level 1 score for those who matched was 487 for that year so I thought I would be okay, now I'm not so sure). Osteo peds is getting really competitive too, I feel like I end up meeting tons of ppl interested in peds when I'm on rotation. My clinical grades for 3rd year were good, nothing below an 87.

I seriously want to do pediatrics, don't want to bother with family or IM. It's risky for me to apply to just peds programs for the AOA match with just 17 programs because allopathic competition is pretty heavy these days and I haven't taken USMLE, but if I apply to another specialty to be safe, it'll take me out of the allo match and screw me in regards to being a pediatrician (that's ******ed IMO). What do you folks think my next best move should be? Pleaseee advise!! I'm sad about this :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, pediatrics is one of the least competitive specialties. If you pass everything on first attempt, interview well, get decent LORs, and you apply broadly enough (AOA & ACGME), you should get a spot somewhere, IMHO.

Did you contact AOA or ACGME residency sites? With a 480, I think you should be fine on the DO side, and as long as you do some away rotations at a few of the DO sites. Things might be a bit more tricky for you on the MD side. From what I've heard from a now first year resident, an average comlex score should make you competitive for interviews. However, if you score much below average, say 450 or less, then the MD sites would like to see a usmle score. Good luck! I'm shooting for peds also!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,

I frequently creep around the forums to learn and stuff but decided to finally write to see if you guys can help me out with my dilemma.

AOA pediatrics only has 17 programs participating this year and most of them are dually accredited with the ACGME. They're decently competitive and I got a 480 (81) on COMLEX level 1. Most programs I've contacted require at least a 500. I didn't take USMLE because I naively didn't look to see how many AOA programs there are at the time (it's primary care so I didn't think it would be a problem!). I'm 20 points below the recommended score and I haven't taken COMLEX II yet, but will be soon (studying for it now).

Do you guys think the programs that ask for a 500 will at least look at my app if I'm 20 points below or will they just throw it away? Do you think 480 is good enough for peds ( the DO-GME MATCH 2011 document said the avg level 1 score for those who matched was 487 for that year so I thought I would be okay, now I'm not so sure). Osteo peds is getting really competitive too, I feel like I end up meeting tons of ppl interested in peds when I'm on rotation. My clinical grades for 3rd year were good, nothing below an 87.

I seriously want to do pediatrics, don't want to bother with family or IM. It's risky for me to apply to just peds programs for the AOA match with just 17 programs because allopathic competition is pretty heavy these days and I haven't taken USMLE, but if I apply to another specialty to be safe, it'll take me out of the allo match and screw me in regards to being a pediatrician (that's ******ed IMO). What do you folks think my next best move should be? Pleaseee advise!! I'm sad about this :(

I'm in an almost identical position as you... Actually with an even lower comlex score. I should be receiving my step 2 score soon and hoping to see a jump. I am choosing to only apply ACGME and not AOA because I will be doing couples match with my boyfriend... From what I've heard,
for pediatrics if you do well on auditions and interviews and are an overall decent person who works hard and can show why you are interested in the program, you shouldn't have a problem matching. Apply broadly and keep positive... It's peds :):)

Reactions: 1 user
Average peds level 1 is listed as 485 with a standard dev of 55. I would guess you're ok for more than half of the 17 programs. Apply broadly, rotate at places near the 485 average rather than the places with 500 cutoffs.

Average peds level 1 is listed as 485 with a standard dev of 55. I would guess you're ok for more than half of the 17 programs. Apply broadly, rotate at places near the 485 average rather than the places with 500 cutoffs.

What about allopathic programs? If he/she rotates at a place and does well, I think that the person has a shot at matching....of course applying broadly will be the key and interviewing at more than 10 places. This is the advice I have gotten from some of my friends who are allopathic peds residents. Also an upward trending step 2 is very important along with good LORs.

What about allopathic programs? If he/she rotates at a place and does well, I think that the person has a shot at matching....of course applying broadly will be the key and interviewing at more than 10 places. This is the advice I have gotten from some of my friends who are allopathic peds residents. Also an upward trending step 2 is very important along with good LORs.

USMLE step 2 or COMLEX level 2?

Do you have a pulse? If so, you're good to go! :thumbup:

I WISH I just needed a pulse to get a spot!! Not that easy anymore I think. I thought I would be fine when I got my score, but then after doing some research, I saw that according to the match results of this past app cycle, all of the allo peds spots were filled to full capacity so I figured allo is competitive based on that. heres the link that that got me all worried.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/5/prweb10784436.htm

I didn't think it was that competitive, but I guess maybe if your an international med grad, you def want A spot, no matter what it is :( As for the osteo match, there were spots left but at programs that weren't dually accredited or in the middle of nowhere (ie. corpus cristi texas!) The empty spots could also be due to the spots being shifted to some other specialty program that the hospital felt needed more spots. Whatever, I'm obv still applying to those spots too. I'm still debating whether to apply aoa fm or IM just as backup.

i'm having the worst time getting a audition rotation?At both allo and osteo programs! Most programs are affiliated with other med schools so their students get first dibs ofcourse but since peds is a core, there's never room esp at osteo spots. Is it me or are med Ed rotation coordinators especially low on patience and general kindness for away students?? I've been shrugged off so many times and I'm late now. Timeslot in September and still no spot. F word!

Last edited:
Kennergirl You should be okay, bc if u read the link, it says couples match was pretty successful with a 95% match rate. Pretty good odds I'd say. Still u guys will prob be like me and spend a sad amount of money applying to lots and lots of spots :(

Did you contact AOA or ACGME residency sites

I contacted a handful of the aoa programs but I feel since they're also acgme accredited, they want a higher comlex score. Some of the acgme programs already have cut offs for scores written on their websites and its generally 500. I'll just apply broadly and hope for the best I guess.

I contacted a handful of the aoa programs but I feel since they're also acgme accredited, they want a higher comlex score. Some of the acgme programs already have cut offs for scores written on their websites and its generally 500. I'll just apply broadly and hope for the best I guess.

You and me both, I didn't realize all the spots had filled.. Good luck! couples match rate did look promising though...it's just that he wants to do allopathic neurosurgery (backup IM) so we have a pretty complicated road ahead of us as well. Apply broadly, hopefully we will get interviews and impress them!