Want to attend local program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallbiz2doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm attending a university that has it's own medical school, and they do put state residents first (I've lived here for 12 years). It is an MD school though, with an average GPA of 3.6. I want to go to an MD school since I am interested in specialties like pathology or radiology, but by the time I fix my 6-year mess from way back, the highest overall I can hope for is a 3.2 (assuming I keep the 4.0 or close to it for the remaining 3 years). I just can't afford to travel, and it doesn't make sense to even bother when I probably have a better chance at my school as an in-state.

Would it be incredibly stupid to only apply to my local school the first cycle (or apply to others and put off those interviews to see if I get one here first)? Then if I don't get in here, I can work full time as a scribe or something and save up for traveling around the second cycle. It's not a lot but much more than I'm surviving on now as a part-time pet sitter.

Members don't see this ad.

Saying you have a better shot in-state at a school you'll be 0.4 GPA points under average, best case scenario, is honestly not true. You have your best chances at schools whose averages are at or below your GPA and MCAT.

Your odds of MD with a 3.2...not so good anywhere. Your odds DO are substantially better.

If you want to shoot at that school, you are messing yourself up for the next cycle. Don't do it.

Your odds of MD with a 3.2...not so good anywhere. Your odds DO are substantially better.

Thank you. I was worried I might have to just face that..., or take another year to get 3.4 or so? Their average for the MCAT is 30.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's up to you. I don't know how competitive your MD school, stats-wise or for how long you are willing to work up your GPA . Your MCAT and overall app play a large role.

But if you are putting all your eggs in your local state school basket, you might end up disappointed. You have to consider other options. There are many great options out there.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT, if high enough, could help overcome your low GPA for MD. But it's no guarantee. Assuming a good MCAT, your chances are much better for DO. Radiology and pathology are certainly doable as a DO.

You're getting good advice from everyone. If your GPA is below the average accepted for the school that you want to attend, it would be safer to apply to more schools that accept numbers in your range. Do attend all interviews! Getting one acceptance can influence admissions committees to accept you from other schools if they are on the fence. It will also be important to look at every part of your application to see where you can compensate or improve your chances of acceptance. Putting together a strategic application with well written essays and explanations for any decreases in your GPA can make a major difference. For more information on applying to medical school with a low GPA, please see this article titled "Know How to Overcome a Low GPA or MCAT Score." I hope you get accepted into your top choice!

Your MCAT, if high enough, could help overcome your low GPA for MD. But it's no guarantee. Assuming a good MCAT, your chances are much better for DO. Radiology and pathology are certainly doable as a DO.

Thank you. I'm realizing whatever DO's might face at residency match shouldn't scare me after all the challenges I will have overcome to even get there. Now I just wish one was near me, but seeing that having to travel and probably move is just going to be another part of this I need to accept and prepare for.

You're getting good advice from everyone. If your GPA is below the average accepted for the school that you want to attend, it would be safer to apply to more schools that accept numbers in your range. Do attend all interviews! Getting one acceptance can influence admissions committees to accept you from other schools if they are on the fence. It will also be important to look at every part of your application to see where you can compensate or improve your chances of acceptance. Putting together a strategic application with well written essays and explanations for any decreases in your GPA can make a major difference. For more information on applying to medical school with a low GPA, please see this article titled "Know How to Overcome a Low GPA or MCAT Score." I hope you get accepted into your top choice!

Thanks for the info, and very good suggestions, especially about how acceptances can influence decisions at other schools. While reading the link, it occured to me I didn't take much science for my first degree, so the science GPA could be a strength if all goes well.