When you only want to go to one program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmbby

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for some tips for how to target a specific program if there's anything useful to know besides getting to know faculty, talking with admissions, etc. I'm a graduating pharmacy student currently interviewing for pharmacy residency but hoping in a few years I'll be able to matriculate to my current university's medical school. Also happy to hear advice from any PharmD to MD folks.

>Why not other schools?
I'm hoping to be able to buy a house and settle down with my fiancee in the next couple of years. I'm feeling a little too old to uproot for another city for 4 years only to maybe have to move again for medical residency. Plus this is my community and while I do think I could do more good with a medical license than a pharmacy license, it matters most to me to give back to the place where I live now. There's a specific program I would be applying for that I think is a good fit.

>What school would you be applying to?
A good one.

>Why pharmacy residency if you want to change to medicine?
It's the highest quality training I can access at this moment in my career. It will only serve me well as either a pharmacist or a physician. I want to finish what I set out to do when I entered pharmacy school, especially because I made a lot of career changes in my early working years and I want to demonstrate my commitment.

>Why medicine?
I didn't think I wanted to touch people. I want to learn differential diagnosis and how to perform procedures. Being able to practice independently means I could take my niche clinic work anywhere I wanted vs. being tied to a big city clinic where I can work under collaborative practice (maybe a little hypothetical since I don't really want to move but the thought of it feels liberating). I want to learn everything I can about healing and the human body and medicine seems like the obvious option. I never knew I wanted to work this hard for anything.

>Stats?
My oGPA dropped from a 3.56 after my first 3 years in uni to a 3.15 by the time I graduated due to some pretty horrible life circumstances. I feel able to explain this adequately in an interview setting but I do fear being filtered out before that point. I do know that this school in particular looks favorably on people with longstanding association so being an affiliated alum won't hurt my chances. My current program doesn't have grades. I haven't started studying for the MCAT yet.

For what it's worth I know the application process is a slog and I likely wouldn't *really* only apply to a single program, if just to apply a little more broadly and weigh options for financial aid. But I do think I would have to seriously weigh if I wanted to move somewhere else even if I was offered a nice aid package versus just staying in pharmacy and being rooted in my community.

Members don't see this ad.