Want to change careers? Do NOT try medicine

• Thread starter dontdoittheyrelying
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dontdoittheyrelying

Don't waste your time. Don't pursue this dream. Any imbecile can master the coursework. Only those with sob stories will get admitted. A broken system if there ever was one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
salty much?

Yes.

Edited version: did graduate degrees (x2) at top schools, did the whole medical exposure thing, did the DIY post-bacc, and outscored my public school by a standard dev. on the MCAT.

But no interview. No nothing. The whole "they like older candidates" line is pure BS. Maybe if you are a vet, or a housewife. Else, no.

So do not think that outperforming will land you a spot. Yes, I'm bitter, so I'll accept skepticism, but I wasted two years on a journey to nowhere. Best case, I am in a pub quiz where someone asks me about something periodic table-related.

MCAT 513, cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.5 (yeah, usual chemistry-challenged type). Schools were a mix of state public's in my region, and some privates where my score fell in the 10-90 percentile range on MSAR.

Quite honestly, I heard a lot about the idea that med schools go nuts for the slightly older (30) candidate, but it really didn't work out for me. Wish I had heard this when I first started. And no, not quitting early. I applied after year one with a 509. (Not bad for someone without orgo I figured.)

1) Alright, alright, DO sounds just fine, but honestly, I made near zero headway beyond MD app payments. A few of those secondary invites came after passing the screen, but little more than that.

[red flags?]

Some, maybe death sentences: C's in orgo. Like zilch volunteering. But no, probably should have mentioned no criminal background, since someone asked that. LORs, I can only assume, were mostly fine, because some rejects started rolling quick.

[How many schools did you apply to?]

~20

Sounds like you did not master the coursework (despite having a MS and PhD?), did not jump through the hoops, took the MCAT unprepared and without knowing the consequences of that, re-took the MCAT and still got a mediocre score, had 1 poorly planned application cycle cause yolo, had a questionable re-application cycle and didn't consider DO for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you probably still could have gotten into a school somewhere if you had played your cards well. It might be interesting to see your school lists for both app cycles.

Reactions: 4 users
What-Salt-Bae-Meme.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Know what day it is, people...

Reactions: 1 users
Know what day it is, people...

Well actually this users profile has a posting message history consistent with this thread well before April fools, as Gurby pointed out above.

....unless it's the most ultimate planned ahead prank ever.

Reactions: 4 users
Good try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing like the smell of failure in the AM. Trolls are out in force lately.

As a teachable moment, research MS and PhDs are not very helpful in getting into an MD school. It is doable, but not the path I'd recommend.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, all the other posts were April fools, but this guy actually did whine about not making into med school despite reinventing himself.

I am surprised no one on this random thread is banned, only a matter of time before someone says something racist/sexist/uncalled for

Status
Not open for further replies.