Want to get a MPH...should I also do Nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racataca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OKAY SO. First here are my "stats." I cross-posted this in the MPH forum as well.

--Graduated from a midsized Jesuit college in Chicago with a BA in International Relations
--3.4 undergrad GPA
--4 years clerical work experience in a hospital ER
--Returned Peace Corps Volunteer from Panama, in Environmental Health
--Volunteer with the Ministry of Health in Panama

I am incredibly, incredibly interested in getting my MPH. In the Peace Corps I worked in Environmental Health (basically teaching HIV/AIDs ed, sex ed, handwashing, the importance of not using a river as a bathroom, basic first aid, etc.). I know it's what I want to continue doing in the United States, so I figure an MPH in Community Health Ed or possibly Maternal/Child health. Anyway.

I also have noted that people say that a double degree (MPH/MSN, MPH/MD, MPH/whatever that has to do with health) is highly valued. My bachelors degree is like, the least lucrative thing ever, and I am interested in going into nursing, which is what my entire family is and has been involved in since the beginning of time.

So I'm wondering...would it be ridiculous to get a BSN (at UIC...I thought about an Associates, but that's 70 credit hours, vs. the 90 credit hours I'd have to do for a BSN after all my elective credits transferred), then stay at UIC and apply for an MSN/MPH? I am drawn to the idea of getting a BSN because it's lucrative and will allow me job security, because I have hospital experience, and because I love medical stuff like that.

OR should I just be happy with my BA in International Relations, apply to get my MPH, and make something of that?

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to be a nurse, get the nursing degree. As for the job security, don't do it just for that. The job market is extremely tight right now. If you go to www.allnurses.com, you'll see a lot of posts from new nurses across the country who can't get jobs d/t hospitals freezing positions. It's not likely to change soon.

A nursing degree is not carte blanche anymore. People are going months, even a year or longer after graduation without job offers.

It all depends of where you live. They need nurses in Texas and other places. As stated, check out allnurses.com :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of in a similar position except I already have a BSN, I want an MPH (like you in Community Health/Health Promotion/Maternal Child), but I realize an MSN would be the practical thing to do seeing I wouldn't mind teaching at some point in my life (also realize I'd need a doctorate to teach). I'm considering doing the dual degree thing (MPH/MSN).

I will say this: nursing has been very good to me financially. I've also had a lot of diverse experiences because of the flexibility afforded to me in this profession (ability to get licenses by endorsement relatively easily in other states, general demand/shortage of nurses, etc.).

Last edited:
if you are open to other pathways aside from nursing there are a few dual pa/mph programs out there which would welcome someone with a peace corps background. george washington in D.C., U.Wa in seattle and touro in the bay area come to mind although I think there are others as well.

It all depends on what part of the country you live in. In Tennessee nursing jobs are plentiful and some even offer sign on bonuses. Other areas, such as in the heartland, jobs can be very hard to come by for new grads. I've been with the same hospital for 34 years. I work full-time and also part-part in home health because my hubby has been unemployed for a year :( If it hadn't been for nursing we'd be SOL about now, however, I sure am tired ;)

The job market for MPH's is not great. with the economic down turn a lot of funding has been cut to public health programs. It is very hard to find a job right now in public health. the jobs available pay very poorly like 40-50k a year. That may be fine for u but I decided not to finish my MPH to make that little money.

Dual degree MPH/MSN or BSN
one cool thing about doing this is there are more jobs. lots of places dont think you able to teach or do anything without a nursing degree. I know one area that hires a lot of dual MPH/BSN's is infection control in hospitals. not a bad job.
also it most likely wouldn't be 90 credits for u to get a BSN. a lot of places have one year BS to BSN programs. look in it. could save u a lot of time and money. The BS to BSN program at the university near me is harder to get into than med school. 3.8+ GPA and years of health care volunteering/exp

honestly ur better off doing the PA/MPH right now. the only people who aren't getting laid off at the hospitals me/my sister/my mother and about 6 cousin who work in healthcare are the clinicians.

MPH's and MSN that aren't CRNA's or NP's that are in education positions are the first people to go.