Want to go to pharmacy school...but dont want to be a pharmacist. help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caltoxin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of the application essays ask why I want to be a pharmacist. I like pharmacy, but don't really plan to go into the field. I am pretty dead set on regulatory affairs in the drug industry after pharm school. Would it be weird/bad to respond with these essay/interview questions talking about my love of regulation and pharmaceuticals and not really being a pharmacist/clinical pharmacist????

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would. I think it would make you stand out. You would be sort of different from the rest. By the way, people with PharmD's who work in the pharma industry are referred to as industrial pharmacists. So yeah, clinical/retail/hospital pharmacists aren't the only people who call themselves pharmacists.

In my opinion, don't mention it is better for you. You can always say that you want to be a pharmacist who works in regulatory affair, then after you get in you can do whatever you want. Tell your interviewers (pharmacist) that you don't want to be one is less likely to convince them that pharmacy school is for you. Besides, there are a few other degrees also prepare you for RA position. Therefore, you will ruin your chance to get in if you say that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would. I think it would make you stand out. You would be sort of different from the rest. By the way, people with PharmD's who work in the pharma industry are referred to as industrial pharmacists. So yeah, clinical/retail/hospital pharmacists aren't the only people who call themselves pharmacists.

I totally agree with this. You have a clear goal, and you have a clear path that you want to take to accomplish this goal. You need to embrace your passion, and be confident in how you communicate your intentions. Good luck!

I think you should be honest. The essay isn't just about why you want to be a pharmacist, but also why you want to go to pharmacy school. How is it relevant to your goals?

Like the above person said, there are other paths that lead to a career in regulatory affairs. There must be a reason why you are choosing the pharmD path over the other paths.

I think if you have a perfectly good reason for doing regulatory affairs with a PharmD, then talk about it. People want to hear why you want to go to pharmacy school and the motivations behind it. I'm sure they get a lot of people talking about wanting to help people and all that, but some people don't tell what they really plan to do in pharmacy.

If you can convince them why it's the best move, I'm sure you'll be good. Just make sure to talk a great game.

I cant see why not! Tell the truth, I flat out said during my interview that I had no desire to work in retail pharmacy, and was accepted. Food for thought: If you lie during your interview you wont seem as compassionate regarding your ultimate goal and could end up rejected. Tell the truth; its your compassion they want to see.

From someone who has seen it all before:

~70% of applicants say they want to work in retail pharmacy
~25% of applicants say they want to work in hospital pharmacy
~5% of applicants say they want to do something else

It's the ~5% who stand out. At the interview stage, be able to clearly articulate why the other career path interests you, and how a pharmacy degree can help you get there. You will be fine.

Why reg affairs? Do you have any experience in it? I am doing a reg affairs rotation now, and it's different from what I thought it would be. Not necessarily bad, just different. That's what I originally wanted to do when I started. Have changed my mind multiple times, but still wanted to know what it's like.

The point is, you may change your mind, so don't rule out any practice settings just yet.

I say go for it. If you can back up your reasoning, you'll make for an interesting candidate. I imagine interviewers get tired of cookie-cutter responses, anyway. I wouldn't say "I don't want to be a pharmacist", because technically, you will be a pharmacist. Just say you want to work as a pharmacist in regulatory affairs.

From someone who has seen it all before:

~70% of applicants say they want to work in retail pharmacy
~25% of applicants say they want to work in hospital pharmacy
~5% of applicants say they want to do something else

It's the ~5% who stand out. At the interview stage, be able to clearly articulate why the other career path interests you, and how a pharmacy degree can help you get there. You will be fine.

:thumbup: