Want To Quit CVS Pharm Tech. Not Sure How/ Repercussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toojatt4u

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask for your advice. I currently work at a CVS as a pharmacy technician. I've trained at 2 different stores 3-4 times and only worked at the actual worksite 5 times. I am also in a direct Physician Assistant program(second year). So far the only hours I get have me at the pharmacy until late at night and right after school. I barely have time to do my school work and school has only just started. I'm sure I won't be able to balance both things when schoolwork begins to intensify. And if I try to then my grades will suffer. The job as a pharm tech. isn't so bad but it just drains so much energy out of me. This also not something I really need for my resume so quitting on the spot is an option since I really haven't developed any real connections with the other employees while working there. So can I just let the store manager know that I want to quit immediately or should I just not come in for my shift? I would give my two weeks notice but the more I stay there, the more I will fall behind in school. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The job as a pharm tech. isn't so bad but it just drains so much energy out of me. This also not something I really need for my resume so quitting on the spot is an option since I really haven't developed any real connections with the other employees while working there. So can I just let the store manager know that I want to quit immediately or should I just not come in for my shift? I would give my two weeks notice but the more I stay there, the more I will fall behind in school. Thank you.

If you don't need them as a reference, which you probably wouldn't get considered you haven't worked there long, I say you should just quit. Call them ASAP to let them know that it is not working at and that you are sorry that you won't be coming in anymore. If you don't have to work and will be ok financially, I wouldn't get a job until the school year ends. You might want to look into a job with more patient contact over the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Come in for the shift and put your two weeks notice, if you want to leave a bad impression (that may or may not follow you) than don't come in. If you actually come in and tell them, it's more respectable. We had a pharmacy tech quit before, and she didn't show up for the rest of her shifts regardless of the fact that she put in her two weeks notice (company policy to ensure that the manager was notified in order to find the help that's necessary). It definitely pissed a good amount of people off, including me.

In all honesty, it's up to you though. If the manager is understanding they MIGHT let you quit on the spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right. I see where you're coming from Ph4rmacistJ but I probably haven't worked nearly as long as the tech you're describing. I think quitting is the right thing to do but I don't think a 2 weeks notice is necessary especially since I was hired "at will" which means CVS can terminate my employment anytime and so can I. And LatePrePharm I don't need the job financially and it doesn't match so well with what I need in the future. I think you're correct about finding a more patient contact job in the future. Feel free to add your opinion again.

Come in for the shift and put your two weeks notice, if you want to leave a bad impression (that may or may not follow you) than don't come in. If you actually come in and tell them, it's more respectable. We had a pharmacy tech quit before, and she didn't show up for the rest of her shifts regardless of the fact that she put in her two weeks notice (company policy to ensure that the manager was notified in order to find the help that's necessary). It definitely pissed a good amount of people off, including me.

In all honesty, it's up to you though. If the manager is understanding they MIGHT let you quit on the spot.

If you don't need them as a reference, which you probably wouldn't get considered you haven't worked there long, I say you should just quit. Call them ASAP to let them know that it is not working at and that you are sorry that you won't be coming in anymore. If you don't have to work and will be ok financially, I wouldn't get a job until the school year ends. You might want to look into a job with more patient contact over the summer.