Want to switch back to IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzz1991520

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi~ I am new here. Right now I have this constant thought in my head. This keeps me from focusing on my pathology study. I really would like to hear some advice here.
I am an IMG with 245/250 cs first pass. I had 6 months USCE. Last year I applied both in PATH and IM. At that moment I was hesitating which specialty I should go. Because both fields attracts me in some point.
Finally I matched to a pathology program. It's a nice program. And people here are nice. But after 3 months of rotation. I missed direct patient care so much. I started thinking I may get the wrong place.
Then I am thinking apply IM again. But I am not sure what should I do to at this moment.
1. When should I tell my PD and Chair?
2. How can I get a chance to have a new LOR from IM attending?
3. What should I do to polish my package to get into IM?

Members don't see this ad.

Using the excuse “ I miss direct patient care” is not exactly original or compelling since it is prob what everyone says. They will ask why didn’t you realize this in Med school especially since it’s been 3 months. It would be different if you were in 2nd year. But just aim for low tier IM programs.

Switching from Path to IM:

Pros: More job opportunities

Cons: More miserable lifestyle. Patient contact (unless you like that). Less money on average (Cardio & GI being the exceptions).

Members don't see this ad :)
Using the excuse “ I miss direct patient care” is not exactly original or compelling since it is prob what everyone says. They will ask why didn’t you realize this in Med school especially since it’s been 3 months. It would be different if you were in 2nd year. But just aim for low tier IM programs.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah. I thought without direct patient care won't make that hard to me. And I maybe get used to it when I start pathology residency. But the reality is not what I thought. And the more I think about my future the more anxious I am. I still think pathology is interesting. But I just don't think I can do this for the rest of my life. I'd rather doing a primary care physician, go to my clinic everyday and talk to them.

Switching from Path to IM:

Pros: More job opportunities

Cons: More miserable lifestyle. Patient contact (unless you like that). Less money on average (Cardio & GI being the exceptions).
Thanks. I know lifestyle will be much different. But I'd rather taking that during residency while after residency. Lifestyle won't be that bad(I am planning to do outpatient only) and should have more jobs out there.

I encourage you to go to IM! We don't need any more pathologists. Currently, I am fighting other pathologists, who are employed by C student business folk and thus profitting off of our backs, for work! This is a travesty!!! Flee Pathology Now!! (FPN)

We need more internists and you will be able to work on your terms!!!!

This has come up many times. Not just this board
or specific to medicine. Many young people in all walks of life find themselves in your shoes. I’ll tell you what i told my kids.

This is not a dress rehearsal and you must do
whatever makes you happy as long as it is honest
work. There are no specific or “correct” answers and your gut feeling is what you must go with.

Reactions: 1 user
This has come up many times. Not just this board
or specific to medicine. Many young people in all walks of life find themselves in your shoes. I’ll tell you what i told my kids.

This is not a dress rehearsal and you must do
whatever makes you happy as long as it is honest
work. There are no specific or “correct” answers and your gut feeling is what you must go with.
Thanks~

This is NORMAL. Concentrate on pathology and you will be happy that you chose this field. Patient contact sucks these days.

I still don't understand why anyone would go into medicine if they don't like (or at least can't tolerate) patient contact.

I still don't understand why anyone would go into medicine if they don't like (or at least can't tolerate) patient contact.
I like patient care. But just too many paper work and social issues.

IM is the worst specialty in medicine in my opinion. 80% of it is scut and social work. Very little critical thinking. Mostly medication management. Don't switch, you'll regret it!

Reactions: 1 users
IM is the worst specialty in medicine in my opinion. 80% of it is scut and social work. Very little critical thinking. Mostly medication management. Don't switch, you'll regret it!
I agree. Enjoy a daily outpatient clinic of obesity, diabetes, hypertension. Most boring job ever. You will hate it after a couple of years guaranteed.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with most of the above comments, however the overwhelming majority of people who go into medicine find the notion of looking into a microscope for many hours per day as revolting as I found almost all of clinical medicine to be.

I agree with most of the above comments, however the overwhelming majority of people who go into medicine find the notion of looking into a microscope for many hours per day as revolting as I found almost all of clinical medicine to be.
That's true. Some find it boring to look through a microscope all day. They need interaction with people and patients.

I agree. Enjoy a daily outpatient clinic of obesity, diabetes, hypertension. Most boring job ever. You will hate it after a couple of years guaranteed.
Add headaches, backaches, malaise, fatigue and depression. Been there, done that and it blows.

In my humble opinion the only specialties worth going into these days from a "least amount of headaches standpoint" are Derm, Rads, Path, Anesthesia, Ophtho, Allergy and ENT. Everything else sucks the life out of you.

Hi~ I am new here. Right now I have this constant thought in my head. This keeps me from focusing on my pathology study. I really would like to hear some advice here.
I am an IMG with 245/250 cs first pass. I had 6 months USCE. Last year I applied both in PATH and IM. At that moment I was hesitating which specialty I should go. Because both fields attracts me in some point.
Finally I matched to a pathology program. It's a nice program. And people here are nice. But after 3 months of rotation. I missed direct patient care so much. I started thinking I may get the wrong place.
Then I am thinking apply IM again. But I am not sure what should I do to at this moment.
1. When should I tell my PD and Chair?
2. How can I get a chance to have a new LOR from IM attending?
3. What should I do to polish my package to get into IM?

Have you done transfusion medicine yet, and does your program have an apheresis unit? I see patients regularly. I also missed seeing patients but an very happy in TM

Sara has a very valid point and BB is an essential service. But, from
everything I know after 40 years, it sucks if that is all you do. Perhaps not for
everyone, but you need to hear it.

Thanks for all the advice, I just talked to my PD today. It turns out my PD was super supportive. She said she will try her best to help me get a spot. Although she will call our institution IM department. But the reality is that our institution almost never takes IMG. But it's fine. At least I got my program's support. What a relieve. I will go on for this years eras cycle. Hope I can get a few IV . I will keep update here. Even if I did not match this year. At least I did something I have to do. I will carry on and face it. Thanks again.

How did it go last year for you? How many programs did you apply and how many interviews did you get?

How did it go last year for you? How many programs did you apply and how many interviews did you get?
Last year I apply 50 path got 12 IVs, But for IM I applied a lot only got 3 IVs. I know my package looks pretty clear I am going into path.

Status
Not open for further replies.