Wanted Fellow Post Residents & Medical Students Graduation Present: Visit & Climb Both Mt. Michael Everest As A Graduation Gift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Wanted fellow recent graduates who are read to hike and bring awareness to our staffing shortages and lack of love on the front live.

Looking at ways to reward myself post graduation and wanted to see if there's any other hikers and travelers here (our residency traveling doesn't count). I was just reading about a medical school professor from the University of Southern California who climbed Mt. Everest to gain extra support from his students. Doctor Hickey did the trip and stated that "he made the trip to bring greater awareness to the shortage of nurses in the state of California and the lack of nursing faculty at USC." While I would love to do a social justice climb and bring awareness to the issues our society has and the issues with essential workers not getting the type of love and support from the federal government that we deserve I'd like to do the two hikes as an intrinsic trip to reward the journey that we have gone through to get the professional designation.

The trip I have planned is to fly to Mount Michael then Everest. Mount Michael is an active volcano in the South Sandwich Islands. It's a British Overseas Territory so it's open and thus one of the reasons for choosing this as the 1st stop versus heading to somewhere in New Zealand that would be locked down and closed to visitors from the states. If you've ever wanted to see the South Pole without heading all the way to Antarctica this is the perfect adventure for our post resident medical group to unwind and get out into nature after all of this. The plan is to go to Argentina for 5 days flying into Buenos Aires and then working our way south. From There we can fly to Europe and connect to get to Kathmandu in Nepal and start to acclimate for the hike of our lives and reward for finishing med school.

Following up on the awareness that Dr. Hickeys climb and some ideas that we can tie in if we can get enough support here at the student doctor network:
"I'm trying to take advantage of the fact of climbing to bring attention to something I'm very passionate about, and that's nursing. I'm a professor here, in the University of South Carolina, and I've noticed some challenges to my students. A lot of my students are working two or three jobs and going to school also. So we came up with the idea of the Summit Scholarship, to try to raise some more money for students so they can focus on their nursing. We've got a big challenge in South Carolina with the nursing shortage."

So maybe we can do this for those who can join the Mt. Michael and/or Mt. Everest trip?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Mt Michael & Mt Everest Trip.png
    Mt Michael & Mt Everest Trip.png
    586.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
ive never heard of this but it sounds really self-important and bogus.

the doc took a vacation to climb mt Everest that costs literally 10s of thousands of dollars then said it was for social justice?!?!?

give me a break.