Wanting IM, help me decide a 3rd year elective!

Started by popopopop
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

popopopop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody, I have an elective next spring and I can start thinking about setting one up now. I'm wanting to do an IM residency and would like an elective that will broaden my knowledge base. I'm thinking infectious disease(might have a good connection for this) or possibly ICU? If I can double-dip by having an elective that might be useful for step2 later on too, that would be helpful.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
 
Agree with Dr. Death. ID will expose you to a broad range of medicine, and truth be told those ID-docs are all super-duper OCD and take the best history and physicals! If ever I get lazy at times, I call an ID consult and they'll do all the leg work for me!

But ICU as a future IM resident is where I think I'd put my money at as most useful. That way you'll be exposed more to what a critical patient looks like, and you should be doing, especially when you hit ICU as an intern.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody, I have an elective next spring and I can start thinking about setting one up now. I'm wanting to do an IM residency and would like an elective that will broaden my knowledge base. I'm thinking infectious disease(might have a good connection for this) or possibly ICU? If I can double-dip by having an elective that might be useful for step2 later on too, that would be helpful.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Helpful for step 2 - probably another general IM rotation, cards maybe.
Interesting/fun - GI, ID, ICU.
 
3rd year doing cardiology right now as my IM-Selective. Tons of EKGs, Tons of HF and complications associated w/ it.

I feel like it's really helpful for the future.