WARMC/School List: 4.0/522 URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packers125

Reaction score
WI Resident
URM: Hispanic/Latino
No Gap Years
Undergraduate: University of Wisconsin-Madion Neurobiology Major
MCAT: 522 (130/131/129/132)
Science GPA: 4.0
Total GPA: 4.0

Summary: Traditional Applicant

Clinical: ~1120 hours; anticipated +1350hours
  • 1000 hours: Phlebotomy; anticipated: +1000 hours
  • 35 hours: Teleshadowing; anticipated: +100 hours
  • 25 hours: Plastic Surgery Shadowing; anticipated: +55 hours
  • 60 hours: Hospital Elderly Life Program Volunteer; anticipated +200 hours

Research: 315hr + 1 poster; anticipated: 600hr + 1 publication (currently in progress)
  • 1st lab: Surgical experience, data collection/analysis experience, writing experience
  • 2nd lab: Participant screening and recruitment, literature search and review

Non-Clinical: 100hrs; Anticipated +100hrs
  • 2 separate premedical clubs (5 active semesters)
  • 100 hr: Online mental health support volunteer; anticipated +100hrs
  • Diversity Scholarship recipient
Tutoring: 60 hrs; anticipated +120hrs
  • 60 hr: Tutor for must pre-med classes (Drop-in); anticipated +120hrs
Leadership:
  • 20hr: Club Social Board; anticipated +40 hrs
  • 40 hr: Diversity Scholarship Class Communication Chair; anticipated + 40hrs
School List:

T-10:
  1. Harvard
  2. Colombia
  3. UPenn
  4. Duke
  5. Yale
  6. NYU
  7. JHU
  8. UW
T-20
  1. WashU
  2. Vanderbilt
  3. Cornell
  4. Mayo
  5. Pitt
  6. UMIch
  7. UChicago
  8. UVirginia
  9. Mt. Siani
T-50
  1. Case Western
  2. UWisconsin
  3. UCinciy
  4. Brown
  5. Dartmouth
  6. Emory
  7. Iowa
  8. Colorado
  9. Florida
  10. UArizona - Pheonix
  11. USF

Notes: I am trying to condense/reevaluate my school list. I am not sure whether or not these schools are a good target for me or if I should apply to more schools in a certain tier rank. I also don't know if I am wasting my time and money applying to so many T-10 schools. I would say I am a slightly above-average writer and have slightly above-average LORs. Any thoughts, comments, advice, etc is appreciated :).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can stop the teleshadowing since it has minimal value. Remove U Florida since they admit few non residents.
You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

I don't know anything about the OP's background to get a sense of backstory or purpose to become a physician. As a URM, it is important, but with the pending SCOTUS decision against race-based decisions, you will need more to help refine your list.

1) Check the MSAR for public school OOS statistics. For example, UWashington would be a great school, but I'm not sure even with your stats if you would be a great fit there. I think it's worth a shot to send them money, but I don't know what you have in your application to get a return on the investment.

2) I'm missing any in-person community service from your description. Your prehealth clubs are campus involvement with your other leadership descriptions. Online mental health support is good, but most programs still want you to have in-person experience now that society has adjusted to the pandemic. This is clearly the weakest part of your application, as most schools will screen out anyone with lower than 100-150 hours of in-person community service that is not related to clinic experience at the time of their submission. Think food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, housing rehabilitation. I just don't see any from what has been submitted.

3) Are you certified as a phlebotomist? Are your hours under employment? Do you work at a hospital or a clinic, or a mix?

4) What are your Casper and PREview quartiles/scores?

Have you connected with LMSA chapter officers at the schools on your list? You should make sure you get enough support from your student community. Network with the schools you feel most comfortable with, and make them recruit you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anything about the OP's background to get a sense of backstory or purpose to become a physician. As a URM, it is important, but with the pending SCOTUS decision against race-based decisions, you will need more to help refine your list.

1) Check the MSAR for public school OOS statistics. For example, UWashington would be a great school, but I'm not sure even with your stats if you would be a great fit there. I think it's worth a shot to send them money, but I don't know what you have in your application to get a return on the investment.

2) I'm missing any in-person community service from your description. Your prehealth clubs are campus involvement with your other leadership descriptions. Online mental health support is good, but most programs still want you to have in-person experience now that society has adjusted to the pandemic. This is clearly the weakest part of your application, as most schools will screen out anyone with lower than 100-150 hours of in-person community service that is not related to clinic experience at the time of their submission. Think food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, housing rehabilitation. I just don't see any from what has been submitted.

3) Are you certified as a phlebotomist? Are your hours under employment? Do you work at a hospital or a clinic, or a mix?

Have you connected with LMSA chapter officers at the schools on your list? You should make sure you get enough support from your student community. Network with the schools you feel most comfortable with, and make them recruit you.
hey just gonna hijack this thread really quick to ask -- what do you mean "connected with" LMSA chapter offices? How would one do this, and under what premise? Sort of a "hey, I'm thinking about applying to your school and I'm interested in seeing how your LMSA runs, . . .etc"? Or is there a more official way to do this sort of networking?

hey just gonna hijack this thread really quick to ask -- what do you mean "connected with" LMSA chapter offices? How would one do this, and under what premise? Sort of a "hey, I'm thinking about applying to your school and I'm interested in seeing how your LMSA runs, . . .etc"? Or is there a more official way to do this sort of networking?
It's a national student group just like AMSA and SNMA. Find our if there is a chapter at your desired school, who the officers are, and whether they have programs for premeds. They probably have social media accounts. Not that hard. They welcome cold calls if they aren't mired in exams.

1) I am a certified phlebotomist and my hours are under employment in an inpatient hospital setting.

2) I am not planning on applying to any schools that require casper or PREview (this is a way I am narrowing down my list) so I don't plan on taking these tests. Does taking these exams make more more competitive to a program that doesn't require them?

Reactions: 1 user
2) I am not planning on applying to any schools that require casper or PREview (this is a way I am narrowing down my list) so I don't plan on taking these tests. Does taking these exams make [me] more competitive to a program that doesn't require them?
If a school doesn't ask for Casper or PREview results for any reason (selection or "research"), I don't know how that would make you more or less desirable. It's like saying that the ACT makes you look better at SAT universities... that doesn't make sense.

A final list on PREview should be made by the end of April prior to the opening of AMCAS. That should also be the month you can look up takecasper.com (?) to see which schools have scheduled Casper times, usually beginning in May.