WARS Effectiveness Survey. Please read the text before voting.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A/S Applicants, II's out of H, S, JHU, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, NYU, and Mayo

• Non (A/S) Applicants, if you wish, please leave answer in comment.

Results are only viewable after voting.
bump

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
II to 3/7 applied, self-reported A. I think what's missing from WARS is how your experiences fit into a compelling narrative -- I did a bunch of random activities in undergrad and feel like I never found one or two things to be passionate about (struggled with family/personal issues). Having volunteering/research/clinical experience that ties together and is significant to you can really bump your application up a notch, especially at the tippy top.

Reactions: 5 users
II to 3/7 applied, self-reported A. I think what's missing from WARS is how your experiences fit into a compelling narrative -- I did a bunch of random activities in undergrad and feel like I never found one or two things to be passionate about (struggled with family/personal issues). Having volunteering/research/clinical experience that ties together and is significant to you can really bump your application up a notch, especially at the tippy top.
how to tell your story is arguably the most important and the part most amiss in many people's application..

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many voiced that this was put up a bit too early. I believe most schools are done with sending invites on this list. So feel free to update your vote or vote.

You've got to be in it to win it so unless an applicant applied to all 11 (both Mayos), the ceiling is <10 in terms of number of interviews. That should be adjusted for... of these 11 schools, what proportion of those that you applied to chose to interview you... 9%, 18%, 27%, etc to 100% (e.g. all 11)?

You've got to be in it to win it so unless an applicant applied to all 11 (both Mayos), the ceiling is <10 in terms of number of interviews. That should be adjusted for... of these 11 schools, what proportion of those that you applied to chose to interview you... 9%, 18%, 27%, etc to 100% (e.g. all 11)?
I know we’ve passed the II stage already. I really think anyone with an A and S should throw in an application to every single of those places. It’s just so random on the individual level. I would hate to live with a what-if..

What strikes me the most throughout this process is that the success rate of II has very little correlation with the final A’s. As if once you are in for an interview, you start afresh.

What strikes me the most throughout this process is that the success rate of II has very little correlation with the final A’s. As if once you are in for an interview, you start afresh.
Essentially the truth. Any applicant can be great on paper, but how they handle themselves in person can tell a whole other story.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Was right at the A/S border, applied to 6 on that list, received IIs and As at 4 (actually 5 if you count both Mayo's). I always felt WARS at least gives you a framework to try scoring at least 4 IIs in an otherwise ridiculously random process . I pretty much followed the recommendations exactly and eventually received more than a dozen IIs evenly divided between each of the levels - but I'm still truly not sure exactly why.

• Wow