was this appropriate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chimm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took DAT last summer, got 23 AA, 22 TS, 20 PAT.

Test was at 12:30 PM and I got into a car accident THAT MORNING at 10:30 AM, with still being 30 minutes away from the test center.

So even after getting f***** up by a 17 year old chick driving her dad's Beemer with no license :mad:.......I was still focused and not distracted enough to take the test.

I talked about this in my personal statement...do u guys think this was appropriate for a PS :confused:? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Took DAT last summer, got 23 AA, 22 TS, 20 PAT.

Test was at 12:30 PM and I got into a car accident THAT MORNING at 10:30 AM, with still being 30 minutes away from the test center.

So even after getting f***** up by a 17 year old chick driving her dad's Beemer with no license :mad:.......I was still focused and not distracted enough to take the test.

I talked about this in my personal statement...do u guys think this was appropriate for a PS :confused:? Thanks!

Ummm...No. You have great scores - sounds like you are complaining for no reason. The personal statement should contain stuff about you and your accomplishments, and how they relate to your desire to become a dentist.

Ummm...No. You have great scores - sounds like you are complaining for no reason. The personal statement should contain stuff about you and your accomplishments, and how they relate to your desire to become a dentist.

I didn't complain in my PS about the situation. I just mentioned how even with the shock and duress of an auto accident a couple hours before a really important test...I still pulled through. They could see it as a sign of resolve maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't complain in my PS about the situation. I just mentioned how even with the shock and duress of an auto accident a couple hours before a really important test...I still pulled through. They could see it as a sign of resolve maybe?

I personally wouldn't put it, but if you feel the need to then go ahead. :thumbup:

I think this is a very strong P.S. and can be written verbatim. Do you mind if I borrow it?

might as well stretch the statement a bit and say the 17 yr old chick was actually 87, suffered massive trauma to the head, fell into cardiac arrest and u had to make a tough decision on the spot: either make it in time for the DAT or to rescue this woman's life. u chose the latter and arrived at ur test late and scored a mere 23AA, which was 5 points below ur practice avgs. ur eyes were covered in windshield glass and bruised from shock from the airbag, which affected ur PAT score, which explains the crappy 20.

yes yes yes

i talked specifically in my PS about the 17 year old chick who slammed into my car because i figured adcoms really wanna know specifics about the incident

I think the concensus is, leave it out of your personal statement...hopefully there were other aspects of your life that show you overcoming adversity, or your passion for the career, than you just getting into the car accident before your dat. I am sure a ton of people have stories like this...they were sick, their cat just died, blah blah. Bring it up at the interview if it seems fitting, which I am sure you will get plenty with those scores

might as well stretch the statement a bit and say the 17 yr old chick was actually 87, suffered massive trauma to the head, fell into cardiac arrest and u had to make a tough decision on the spot: either make it in time for the DAT or to rescue this woman's life. u chose the latter and arrived at ur test late and scored a mere 23AA, which was 5 points below ur practice avgs. ur eyes were covered in windshield glass and bruised from shock from the airbag, which affected ur PAT score, which explains the crappy 20.

Oh, come on... If he put in his PS that he decided to be late for his DAT because he was going to save an old woman's life, don't you think adcom's would seriously question his commitment to dentistry???

yes yes yes

i talked specifically in my PS about the 17 year old chick who slammed into my car because i figured adcoms really wanna know specifics about the incident

Ah who cares? Put it in. It shows your dedicated and even though something about killed you it didn't stop you from taking that f'in test. Determination, I see nothing wrong with it. I believe they are mainly looking to see if you can write coherently.

yes yes yes

you're joking.

yes yes yes

If I was in your situation, I don't think I would have included that in my personal statement.

But, I'm sure it will make for some eyebrow raising interest which may be of benefit. :eyebrow:

I'm sure your PS will be memorable, just hope it's for a positive reason.

Oh, come on... If he put in his PS that he decided to be late for his DAT because he was going to save an old woman's life, don't you think adcom's would seriously question his commitment to dentistry???

:thumbup: lol

I honestly think people are crazy hard on each other on this site, it happened, it makes your PS stick out a bit. I say go for it but don't use too much of your characters doing so as it is surely more of a side note than something to describe in detail, good luck!

Last edited:
I honestly think people are crazy hard on each other on this site, it happened, it makes your PS stick out a bit. I say go for it but don't use too much of your characters doing so as it is surely more of a side note than something to describe in detail, good luck!

agreed.

this is def an interesting event. i think the key is if u can transition your ps into this story (rather than a 'btw, this happened'). also, as said, make sure you have enough characters to fit in whatever else u want to say on ur ps.

IMO, it sounds like a good talking point in an interview. Not so much P.S.. But hey you can write about anything =D
x2

I hope you have had more important events related to dentistry aside from an auto accident.

Definitely not, I had thought about mentioning my mom died mid semester and I still pulled off a really high gpa that semester. I spoke with a bunch of dental admissions advisers and the general consensus was NOT to include it. They said that wasn't the point of the personal statement, and that everybody applying had some kind of difficulty to get where they are and that it wouldn't make me stand out. I bet you every person that reads your post will say I had some crazy event happen that I was able to overcome for some test or DAT or whatever.....big deal. Think of something that will set you apart from other applicants.