Wash. U. 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RE: dorms

I live in Olin now, and am moving out into the CWE in May. About 12-15 of the MS1s are staying on in Olin, out of about 35. I like living in Olin a lot -- it's not noisy like an undergrad dorm, and it's actually pretty clean (at least on the 10th floor). I like that someone else cleans the bathrooms/kitchens, takes out my trash and vacuums my rugs. I love rolling out of bed and making it to class in under 5 mins. As Good Eats said, the transition at the beginning of first year is a lot easier living in Olin. Quite a few of my friends have mentioned that if they could do it over they would have stayed in Olin just for the first year. My main beef with the place is not having kitchens on every floor. I also just don't like sharing kitchens. Also, you can't use Skype in Olin. Other than that, I love living here -- it's great coming back between classes to take a nap, and in the spring and fall, one of my favourite things to do is hang my hammock in the rooftop area and laze about in the sun.

Also, while cost of living is cheap here, nothing beats Olin rates. I pay less than $350/mo right now, and the only apartment building nearby that comes CLOSE to matching that (once you factor in utilities) is the most depressing place I've ever seen. A decent apartment, with a roommate, in the CWE... will still run you at least about $450 a month all in. Still cheap, just not AS cheap.

Members don't see this ad.

hey everybody,
i'm still deciding b/t yale and wash u but, unfortunately, could not attend either of the second looks.
i'd love to hear people's impressions after wash u's second look and any input from current students:
i've heard that wash u has better clinical years (b/c of the quality of the hospital), but am a bit worried about its competitive reputation. the gradeless yale system sounds nice, but i'm a bit turned off by the thesis requirement.
i'm from st. louis, so i have no problem with wash u's location.
until this point i was leaning wash u, but i keep hearing wonderful things about the quality of life at yale...

any feedback would be really helpful -
thanks!
I'll probably be attending Penn instead of WashU. The only reason though, is purely money, as attending the WashU second look I realized how great of a place it is. Aside from funding and resources to do whatever your heart desires, your worries of competetiveness seem enitrely unfounded. I would say the students at WashU actually seemed the MOST amiable, collegiate, and up for having a fun time (they talked about going out with friends as if that's all they do). If you're okay with the city, and okay with a students who seem to have a bit more of a nerd flag than others, I'd say go with WashU.

I just got a call from the Dean today. I was pulled off the scholarship waitlist.
This decision just got 10X harder...

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! :clap:

Every MD I know has told me to go where the money is. Freedom from having to make debt-influenced choices in your future is an amazing opportunity. I don't know much about McGill, but Harvard is definitely not worth giving up a full scholarship.

I just got a call from the Dean today. I was pulled off the scholarship waitlist.
This decision just got 10X harder...

Me too Omega! Got the call yesterday...EEK. Basically have to make my decision tonight to get everything in the mail by sometime tomorrow!! Crazy crazy crazy, 48 hours to decide the path of the next four years. I had told myself in my head what my decision would be if I got the scholarship, but I didn't actually think or really want to have to make that decision....

Thanks monday_best. The idea of coming off debt-free after 4 years, after having attended such a research powerhouse school, is incredibly appealing to me as well. Nonetheless it is a difficult decision...
(And no McGill is not worth giving up the scholarship for sure, unless one absolutely has to kill to live in Montreal which is not exactly my case=P)

Congrats gopherthegold! It's scary that we have to make such a momentous decision so soon, isn't it? Mind if I ask what your premade decision (which clearly has NOthing to do with the REAL decision :D) is?

Well folks, as I'm sure you've all been bracing at the edge of your seats to hear what I have decided...I am going to be a Bear(?)! St Louis here I come! Now since I didn't attend Second Look I have to figure out this housing stuff;-) See you all in August, should be nice and muggy in St Louis by then!

hi everyone!! i just got a call from dean dodson that i was pulled off the waitlist! wash u was tied for my top choice going in, but now i'm freaked out about making the decision. the other school i've picked is giving me a partial merit scholarship which could very well turn into a full scholarship after 2nd year, and i know that wash u isn't exactly known for their stellar financial aid.

can any of you comment on the financial aid packages you received, especially compared to those you got from other schools, and whether this $20k per year cap actually helped? i don't know how soon i will get my fin. aid package, though i turned in all the materials about a month ago, so hopefully they'll have it ready soon. ahhhhhhhhhh i'm so excited!!! also, i don't know if this means i have to make a decision by tomorrow...haha

hi everyone!! i just got a call from dean dodson that i was pulled off the waitlist! wash u was tied for my top choice going in, but now i'm freaked out about making the decision. the other school i've picked is giving me a partial merit scholarship which could very well turn into a full scholarship after 2nd year, and i know that wash u isn't exactly known for their stellar financial aid.

can any of you comment on the financial aid packages you received, especially compared to those you got from other schools, and whether this $20k per year cap actually helped? i don't know how soon i will get my fin. aid package, though i turned in all the materials about a month ago, so hopefully they'll have it ready soon. ahhhhhhhhhh i'm so excited!!! also, i don't know if this means i have to make a decision by tomorrow...haha

My previous reply was idiotic as I have failed to read your post. I apologize :oops:

My previous reply was idiotic as I have failed to read your post. I apologize :oops:

ah, i didn't see your previous reply, but i'm guessing you thought i meant the scholarship waitlist. nope, not that lucky. i got pulled off the waitlist waitlist.

As far as financial aid went for me PickleLuvr, WashU was average. They gave me 8k in grants while two similar institutions gave me 4k and 12k anually. The 20k need-based loan cap is kinda bogus in my opinion because unless your parents really help you out, you're still going to have to cough up that Expected Family Contribution in additional loans.

It's a fantastic school though. Good luck with your decision!

thanks dr durden. that's pretty much what i was expecting. they said they'd get the fin. aid info to me sometime this week (i have until friday to decide).

i also have a more involved question for anyone here who might be from st. louis, current or incoming students...my boyfriend of several years wants to move with me to med school, but he is currently working in investment banking and would like to stay in either finance or consulting since he's planning to go to business school in a few years. from the beginning, he was dead set against st. louis because he was sure there would be no job opportunities for him there. then again, the other city i'm considering (pittsburgh) doesn't have a great job market either. but i'm still hoping there may be something...any st. louis natives have any advice?? i'm from chicago, and i'd love to be closer to home again, but the significant other is certainly complicating the decision a bit.

thanks for any help guys!

Okay everyone, I'll be joining you guys in St. Louis in August :D This was one hell of a decision, but I think I made one that will make me happiest in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going to school early for starting research projects?

Anyone going to school early for starting research projects?

Nope, I'm bumming around at home for the last time before retirement.

Hey, I just got in off the waitlist last Wednesday and I'll definetly be attending. I can't wait to start this fall. Does anyone know the day orientation begins in august?

Hey, I just got in off the waitlist last Wednesday and I'll definetly be attending. I can't wait to start this fall. Does anyone know the day orientation begins in august?

I believe it's August 14.

hey, can anyone tell me if WashU records lectures and if you can play them back at 2x?

hey, can anyone tell me if WashU records lectures and if you can play them back at 2x?

They record every lecture in mp3 format, and you can play them back at whatever speed you want once you download them. There's also a student-run transcript service.

Well, Wash U just snatched me out of Ohio State :laugh:. I was all set to go, then I got called off the wait list. After a tortuous few days, I decided to reject the offer, but then I decided to try using it for some good. My friend was also on the waitlist and hadn't yet heard anything, so I called up Wash U and said that knowing whether or not she was going could affect my decision, since I could possibly room with her, and asked if there was any way to speed up the process.

They put me through to Dr. Dodson, and he looked up her file and said she had a good chance of getting in, and he'd look up some other stuff and get back to me in 20 minutes. He called back and said he'd just offered her admission and that Wash U "likes to pay attention to this sort of thing". We were both (happily) shocked, and now I really am going to Wash U. Woo!

It never hurts to ask :D.

Well, Wash U just snatched me out of Ohio State :laugh:. I was all set to go, then I got called off the wait list. After a tortuous few days, I decided to reject the offer, but then I decided to try using it for some good. My friend was also on the waitlist and hadn't yet heard anything, so I called up Wash U and said that knowing whether or not she was going could affect my decision, since I could possibly room with her, and asked if there was any way to speed up the process.

They put me through to Dr. Dodson, and he looked up her file and said she had a good chance of getting in, and he'd look up some other stuff and get back to me in 20 minutes. He called back and said he'd just offered her admission and that Wash U "likes to pay attention to this sort of thing". We were both (happily) shocked, and now I really am going to Wash U. Woo!

It never hurts to ask :D.

Congrats to you and your friend - that's awesome!! I bet she will love you forever for this!!

In case anyone out there was concerned about living in St. Louis without a car...

a) I've gotten by fine without a car for the last year, with only mild frustration at not being able to explore the city more easily...

but more importantly,

b) I just got news that Flexcar, a car-sharing program (http://www.flexcar.com/) is in dialogue with Wash U and if all goes well will be starting up in late August with a couple of cars on the med school campus (as well as the undergrad campus and downtown)!

For those of you unacquainted with car-sharing programs, they're a great way to save a TON of money while still having access to a car, since you can reserve by the hour, AND the car-share usually covers gas/maintenance/insurance.

Hey Everyone, I am currently working at the Children's Hospital doing research, and will be for the next year while I apply to med school. I am a 23 yr old male, and recent graduate of Wash U undergrad. If anyone is in need of a roommate and wants to try to look for a place together with me, in either the CWE, Clayton, or UCity areas please contact me. The only thing that we would have to worry about is finding a place within walking distance to the metrolink station, as I do not have a car here and need an easy commute to the med school in the morning. Please let me know if anyone is interested. Best wishes.

Does anyone know if there will be anymore waitlist movement in August? Still holding out...