Wash U. MD vs. Northwestern MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preets15

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone...

I'm trying to decide whether to go to the MD program at Washington University or MSTP at Northwestern...I'm sort of torn between the two because I loved Wash U, but I really want to get an MD/PhD...any input would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a tough decision. I have been told that wash u is one of the programs that looks most favorably towards MS1 and 2s joining their MSTP class. However, it's not a 100% acceptance rate. If you no for sure that you want an MD/PhD training I'd say go with Northwestern. Have you spoken with the Wash u mstp directors? good luck. also if the research at NW is a good match with what you "think" you want to work on then it makes it an easier decision.

Basically, I agree with what jjmack said about WashU. However, I think Neuronix once mentioned that it is risky (and totally wishful) to decide on WashU MD program, thinking you might still have a chance for its MSTP after M1. NW MSTP, on the other hand, is really strong (their MSTP curriculum is well-organized, even better now after Dr. Sandra Lee joined as co-director) and people in that program are very cool :thumbup: I don't know if it was because it's in Chicago, the weather was cold or what, but everyone seemed to love wearing turtlenecks. :rolleyes: Anyway, what's more important is whether you can find some people you will be interested in working with at either school. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Preets15,
First of all congratulations on being accepted to 2 great programs.
I'd like to second jjmack's suggestion that you speak with the director/administrator of the Wash U MD/PhD program before you decide. I have found Dr. Goldberg (the director) and Brian Sullivan (the administrator) very approachable, down to earth and honest in the few months I've known them so I trust they'll be upfront with responding to any concerns you may have.

Although I do not know for a fact how easy it is for MS1s and 2s to get into the MD/PhD program, it seems intuitive that it will be fairly easy considering the fact that Wash U has such a large MD/PhD class and invest so much money into their program. I actually know an MS1 who will be joining the MD/PhD program this year so if you want, PM me and I'll send you her contact info.

That the 1st year is pass/fail and that there is tonnes of money available for research even for straight MD students means you'll have the opportunity to engage in research even in your 1st year when you are not officially an MD/PhD student.

All the best in your decision making.

PS: Just out of curiosity, do you know what your tentative research interests are?

Thats a very difficult decision. The other posters have already offered great advice, and here's my take. Even though I have nothing but love for WashU, I would say go to Northwestern and here's why: Dr. Engman is a really great guy, and with him at the helm their program is really on the way up; guaranteed support instead of gambling on getting accepted (even though our mstp class at washu this year is smaller than the previous couple, I don't know if it will translate into more M1s being accepted next year); not a huge difference in location (midwest rocks, and actually chicago is more fun than st. louis). That said, possible research interests could make it much more difficult like adesua mentioned. Good luck, and go with your gut.
-steve