Washington Post article today... ugh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeeh8r

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical misadventures in opioid prescribing...

‘Unintended Consequences’: Inside the fallout of America’s crackdown on opioids

‘UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES’

Inside the fallout of America’s crackdown on opioids

By Terrence McCoy, Photos by Bonnie Jo Mount
May 31, 2018
crackdown19.jpg

Comments

COLVILLE, Wash. —

The morning of the long drive, a drive he took every month now, Kenyon Stewart rose from the living room recliner and winced in pain. He looked outside, at the valley stretching below his trailer, and again wondered whether it was getting time to end it. He believed living was a choice, and this was how he considered making his: a trip to the gun store. A purchase of a Glock 9mm. An answer to a problem that didn’t seem to have one.

Stewart is 49 years old. He has long silver hair and an eighth-grade education. For the past four years, he has taken large amounts of prescription opioids, ever since a surgery to replace his left hip, ruined by decades of trucking, left him with nerve damage. In the time since, his life buckled. First he lost his job. Then his house, forcing a move across the state to this trailer park. Then began a monthly drive of 367 miles, back to his old pain clinic, for an opioid prescription that no doctor nearby would write.

“It’s 10 after,” reminded Tyra Mauch, his partner of 27 years, watching him limp over to her.

“Got to go,” he said, nodding.

He hugged her for a long moment, outside the bathroom with the missing door, head full of anxiety. He knew what awaited him on the other side of the drive. Another impossibly difficult conversation with his provider, who, scared by the rising number of opioid prescribers facing criminal prosecution, would soon close the pain clinic. Another cut in his dosage in preparation for that day. More thoughts of the Glock.

The story of prescription opioids in America today is not only one of addiction, overdoses and the crimes they have wrought, but also the story of pain patients like Kenyon Stewart and their increasingly desperate struggles to secure the medication. After decades of explosive growth, the annual volume of prescription opioids shrank 29 percent between 2011 and 2017, even as the number of overdose deaths has climbed ever higher, according to the IQVIA Institute for Human Data Science, which collects data for federal agencies. The drop in prescriptions has been greater still for patients receiving high doses, most of whom have chronic pain.

dosage-300.png

Opioid dosages at a 10-year low

Prescriptions per 100 people

All dosages

High dosage

Source: QuintilesIMS Transactional Data Warehouse, Centers for Disease Control

and Prevention

THE WASHINGTON POST

The correction has been so rapid, and so excruciating for some patients, that a growing number of doctors, health experts and patient advocates are expressing alarm that the race to end one crisis may be inadvertently creating another.

“I am seeing many people who are being harmed by these sometimes draconian actions amid this headstrong rush into finding a simple solution to this incredibly complicated problem,” said Sean Mackey, the chief of Stanford University’s Division of Pain Medicine. “I do worry about the unintended consequences.”

Chronic pain patients, such as Stewart, are driving extraordinary distances to find or continue seeing doctors. They are flying across the country to fill prescriptions. Some have turned to unregulated alternatives such as kratom, which the Drug Enforcement Administration warns could cause dependence and psychotic symptoms. And yet others are threatening suicide on social media, and have even followed through, as doctors taper pain medication in a massive undertaking that Stefan Kertesz, a professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham who studies addiction and opioids, described as “having no precedent in the history of medicine.”

The trend accelerated last year, in part as a result of guidelines the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published in 2016. Noting that long-term opioid use among patients with chronic pain increased the likelihood of addiction and overdose, and had uncertain benefits, they discouraged doses higher than the equivalent of 90 milligrams of morphine.

prescriptions-300.png

The rise and fall of opioid prescriptions in the U.S. since 1992

Prescribed morphine milligram equivalents, in billions

Source: IQVIA Institute for Human

Data Science

THE WASHINGTON POST

The guidelines, criticized as neither accounting for the differences in how quickly patients metabolize opioids nor addressing clearly enough what to do about patients who were receiving more than 90 morphine milligrams, helped open a new era of regulation. Dozens of states, Medicare and large pharmacy chains such as CVS have since announced or imposed restrictions on opioid prescriptions. The Justice Department, in a continuing push to crack down on pill mills and reckless doctors, announced in January that it would focus on providers writing “unusual or disproportionate” prescriptions. And some physicians, fearful of the financial and legal peril in prescribing opioids, and newly aware of their hazards, have stopped prescribing them altogether.

“We have to be careful of using a blunt instrument where a fine scalpel is needed,” said former surgeon general Vivek H. Murthy, who prioritized the opioid crisis during his tenure, and wants to increase access to alternative treatments. “We already experienced a pendulum swing in one direction, and if we swing the pendulum in the other direction, we will hurt people.”

Stewart, who said he hurt more every day, let go of Tyra. “See you Friday night,” he whispered to her. “Like always.”

He went outside to his truck. He checked for the third time that his near-empty pain medication bottles were in his duffle bag. Zipping the bag, he sighed. What he had left — five pills — would never last him until his next refill, two days from now. The pain, the withdrawal: All of it was only hours away. It would hit during the drive. He knew it.

How much longer could he keep doing this? How much longer could he afford to blow $900 a month — on gas, food, two nights in a motel, and pills for which he had no insurance? How much longer could he drive so many miles for less and less?

Something had to change.

But for now he started the truck, pulled out onto the mountain road, and then one mile was down, and there were 366 to go.

have shown they’re twice as likely to commit suicide, and what little research has been done on forcibly tapering opioid regimens has been troubling. One study, published last year in the journal General Hospital Psychiatry, tracked 509 military veterans involuntarily taken off opioids. It reported that 12 percent had suicidal ideation or violent suicidal behavior, nearly three times the rate of veterans at large.

She also knew about the hysteria in online chronic-pain forums. People were threatening to kill themselves because they couldn’t get medication. News articles about pain patients who had done it were being passed around on the Internet. “My wife committed suicide in October as a direct result of this,” said Wes Haddix, a retired dentist in Charlottesville. One doctor, Thomas Kline of Raleigh, N.C., recently came out of retirement and is reaching out to suicidal pain patients. “They write me, ‘Help me, I’m going to kill myself. What can I do?’ ” he said, echoing conversations that were ongoing in Wedvik’s office, too.

Some discussed it overtly: “I’ll be here for six months,” one man had said, “and then I’ll commit suicide.”

Others subtly: “I don’t want to kill myself,” said Karla Friend, a slight woman of 54 years. “But . . .”

Then there were patients such as Kenyon Stewart. Wedvik didn’t know about the Glock. But when he came into her office later that day, and was looking at her from across the desk, eyes red, hair disheveled, leg shaking, she knew something was very wrong.

“Can we have a talk?” Stewart said.

finding a doctor guilty of five federal drug charges, including conspiring to possess and distribute prescription opioids.

In Pennsylvania, the governor was absorbing criticism that he wasn’t combating the opioid crisis after he vetoed a bill that would have regulated drug prescriptions for injured workers.

In Montana, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions was telling an audience in Billings that doctors prescribed too many opioids, and that “we’re going to target those doctors.”

And meanwhile, in Washington state, on the side of a mountain 48 miles south of the Canadian border, Stewart was putting two bottles stuffed with opioids into his pocket and heading into his trailer.

“I missed you,” he said, hugging Tyra. “I missed you so much this time.”

He let her go and went into his bedroom, overrun with things that fit in their old house but not here. He reached up into the closet and placed the pills in an alcove at the top of his closet, where he thought nobody would think to look. He changed into shorts, grunting in pain, then went outside to look at the trailers along the dirt road.

Tomorrow, he would wake early and divide his medication, placing the week’s tapered ration into a plastic baggie. He would get on the computer and unsuccessfully try to buy kratom, which Wedvik had recommended. He would consider the Glock, then push the thought out of his head. “It’s going to be hard,” he would tell Tyra of what awaited, and she would respond, “We’ve been through worse.”

But in this moment, he kept looking out into the valley, the mountain casting a long shadow across half of it.

An elderly neighbor came out and saw him.

“Did you just get back?” she asked, and he nodded.

“Got to go back again?” she asked.

“No more,” he said, turning to head back inside. “I’m done.”

He limped for the stairs and closed the door behind him, as the shadow outside began to move across the rest of the valley.

‘I don’t know how you got this way:’ A young neo-Nazi reveals himself to his family
After the 2016 election, Kam Musser went from supporting white supremacists to joining a neo-Nazi group. And now his mother and grandmother wonder whether they can get him back.

Some say people on disability just need to get back to work. It's not that easy.
Lisa Daunhauer wanted to be one of the few to get off benefits. But first she had to succeed at Walmart.

Members don't see this ad.

Treating terribly sad life syndrome (TSLS) with opioids...guy wants to check out on life and was doing this previously courtesy of pain doctor now he buys a glock to finish the job, sounds about right.

WaPO and their ilk doesn't want these people- white, rural- getting better or more functional. They want them addicted, helpless and quiet. Very 1984/Brave New World

Reactions: 1 users
Treating terribly sad life syndrome (TSLS) with opioids...guy wants to check out on life and was doing this previously courtesy of pain doctor now he buys a glock to finish the job, sounds about right.

WaPO and their ilk doesn't want these people- white, rural- getting better or more functional. They want them addicted, helpless and quiet. Very 1984/Brave New World

I have whittled my 90+meq crowd from 45 to 15 in the last 18 months. 5 of them work full time. 6 of them are over 70. 4 are working aged/disabled. A 64 y/o homemaker with FBSS, a 50 y/o T10 SCI from tumor, a 59 y/o s/p corpectomy for alleged cyst (op note not available- hardware is impressive), 57 y/o with neck, mid, low back surgery. I was there when L3 was accidentally cut, I was not there for redo/add-on fusion T10-S1. With screws out, the seizures started. His Neurosurgeon was flopping on OR floor like a fish. Delayed case x48 hrs until next doc up could get CT and figure out where everything was at. All functional with household activities, yardwork. No failed UDS, PDMP appropriate. Risks discussed of non-overdose all cause mortality over 90meq. I will have maybe 3-4 folks left over 90 at end of year. I started none of them on opiates, I escalated none of them higher than 90, but I did not force tapers on anyone. Several have complained and did not know how they were going to manage. I fear for my two patients over 200meq for 1/1/19. Hoping to get them to 200 in time to avoid worst case scenario. These are not addicts, there is no OUD, no misuse, no significant side effects. These are good people placed in a bad situation by prior doctors and the government. We are making progress, trying to keep everyone going.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sobering and painful, but there is so much wrong with what this story.

A nurse practitioner closing her "pain practice".

"She started him off on a daily dose of 30mg oxycodone and 12mg Dilaudid, equal to 93 morphine milligrams"

"a medical examiner noted his extraordinary opioid use and declined to renew his commercial driver’s license" - So she ruined his livelihood

“Have you found another pain clinic yet? ... He hadn’t. A year of searching, and he hadn’t." - Nobody else in the state does the same thing

"Wedvik tapered 325 pain patients, some by 50 percent, others by 90%, to bring them within the CDC guidelines."

"Wedvik is trying to get her patients to an equivalent of 90 milligrams of morphine per 24 hours ... 'It's an insult. . . . It'd be like saying take an aspirin for your pain' "

"two pill bottles, one containing 240 oxycodone 30mg, the other 210 Dilaudid 8mg. The register said $478.74, and he paid in cash"

wtf. This is why we have an opiate crisis.

Reactions: 7 users
These are not addicts, there is no OUD, no misuse, no significant side effects. These are good people placed in a bad situation by prior doctors and the government. We are making progress, trying to keep everyone going.

Not the dominant narratives: These people are crazy, liars, or addicts until proven otherwise.

the primary problem with these patients is psychiatric, but it was not being treated appropriately. opioids instead of intensive counseling, multidisciplinary care set them on path to fail from get go

my main comment to these poor suffering individuals...

at least, you are alive. try to enjoy life. for every sob story (and Kertesz has a few he uses), there are at least a few million sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters that wish they could just hug their opioid addicted family member just one more time...

(assuming a conservative 15,000 prescription opioid deaths/year x 15 years, not the 60,000 total opioid fatalities)

Opioid Refugees.
No payment for multidisciplinary care.
You can be busy and go broke seeing these patients in your clinic absent SOSd(f).

Would you see these people all day, every day even if you were better reimbursed? I doubt it.

You refer to this cohort as "pain-addicts" and thinks people should focus on concierge for the "altered comfort" crowd.

Remember when the "dominant narrative" was that pain is vastly under-treated and opioids should be widely utilized for treatment of chronic pain?

The pendulum has swung way to the other side, but at least it is heading towards keeping patients and communities safe.

Would you see these people all day, every day even if you were better reimbursed? I doubt it.

You refer to this cohort as "pain-addicts" and thinks people should focus on concierge for the "altered comfort" crowd.

Remember when the "dominant narrative" was that pain is vastly under-treated and opioids should be widely utilized for treatment of chronic pain?

The pendulum has swung way to the other side, but at least it is heading towards keeping patients and communities safe.

Can you think of a better characterization/description/continuum to describe the kind of people populating waiting room of pain clinics other than "pain-addicts" and "altered comfort crowd?" I think it is very descriptive.

Base training is in multidisciplinary care. I've actually worked in these kind of settings with these kind of patients. Moreover, I've sunk my personal blood and treasure into emulating a multidisciplinary approach to helping these patients as much as the confines of reimbursement permits in a private practice setting.

Do you ever really believe ANY of the narratives in this field were grounded in real scientific conversations? It's been all Kabuki from the very start...PROP lit up the rhetoric from the beginning.

"She started him off on a daily dose of 30mg oxycodone and 12mg Dilaudid, equal to 93 morphine milligrams"

"a medical examiner noted his extraordinary opioid use and declined to renew his commercial driver’s license" - So she ruined his livelihood

“Have you found another pain clinic yet? ... He hadn’t. A year of searching, and he hadn’t." - Nobody else in the state does the same thing

"Wedvik tapered 325 pain patients, some by 50 percent, others by 90%, to bring them within the CDC guidelines."

"Wedvik is trying to get her patients to an equivalent of 90 milligrams of morphine per 24 hours ... 'It's an insult. . . . It'd be like saying take an aspirin for your pain' "

"two pill bottles, one containing 240 oxycodone 30mg, the other 210 Dilaudid 8mg. The register said $478.74, and he paid in cash"

I know! She STARTED at 90 MED and then went up from there?! Oh and AFTER she'd had him try marijuana. For some sort of nerve injury so severe that multiple lawyers turned down his case? Man, what ambulance chasers was he talking to because I've seen guys willing to file a claim of "slander" for diagnosing a patient with "Cocaine abuse" in their medical record WHEN THE PATIENT WAS POSITIVE FOR COCAINE ON A UDS.

Moreover, consider that this guy was driving a big rig truck on city streets while actively on 90, then 173, and eventually >500 MED a day. Going through neighborhoods, school zones, etc. He had $30,000 left to pay on his house and instead of giving up opioids to maintain his livelihood, he opts to sell the house at a loss, move across state to a trailer home he can live in for free, and give up working, instead of being a contributing member of society. But, he's still got a hopped up pickup with custom rims and grille? WTF.

the primary problem with these patients is psychiatric, but it was not being treated appropriately. opioids instead of intensive counseling, multidisciplinary care set them on path to fail from get go

my main comment to these poor suffering individuals...

at least, you are alive. try to enjoy life. for every sob story (and Kertesz has a few he uses), there are at least a few million sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters that wish they could just hug their opioid addicted family member just one more time...

(assuming a conservative 15,000 prescription opioid deaths/year x 15 years, not the 60,000 total opioid fatalities)

But these people are not my patients. My patients are not overdosing, abusing, or misusing. Those who do are stopped off the meds.

SML

I believe they have a name for the "concierge for the 'altered comfort' crowd" I think the colloquial term is a "dealer". ;)

I believe they have a name for the "concierge for the 'altered comfort' crowd" I think the colloquial term is a "dealer". ;)

...except that the "altered comfort crowd" doesn't *WANT* medications...they're too busy being gainfully employed, volunteering in the community, and working on fitness goals to tolerate being narc'd up...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have whittled my 90+meq crowd from 45 to 15 in the last 18 months. 5 of them work full time. 6 of them are over 70. 4 are working aged/disabled. A 64 y/o homemaker with FBSS, a 50 y/o T10 SCI from tumor, a 59 y/o s/p corpectomy for alleged cyst (op note not available- hardware is impressive), 57 y/o with neck, mid, low back surgery. I was there when L3 was accidentally cut, I was not there for redo/add-on fusion T10-S1. With screws out, the seizures started. His Neurosurgeon was flopping on OR floor like a fish. Delayed case x48 hrs until next doc up could get CT and figure out where everything was at. All functional with household activities, yardwork. No failed UDS, PDMP appropriate. Risks discussed of non-overdose all cause mortality over 90meq. I will have maybe 3-4 folks left over 90 at end of year. I started none of them on opiates, I escalated none of them higher than 90, but I did not force tapers on anyone. Several have complained and did not know how they were going to manage. I fear for my two patients over 200meq for 1/1/19. Hoping to get them to 200 in time to avoid worst case scenario. These are not addicts, there is no OUD, no misuse, no significant side effects. These are good people placed in a bad situation by prior doctors and the government. We are making progress, trying to keep everyone going.

There is no misuse/abuse/diversion that you know of. How many of these 90 MEQ folks do you bring in for random pill counts and quant UDS 2 wks into their prescriptions? Do you give three months of scripts?

I had a lady today, ORT 0, no hx drug abuse, solid citizen, grandmother, on norco 5 BID turn up negative on a random quant UDS. She's diverting, or her kids or grandkids are stealing/selling meds.

Norco 5 BID. Makes me think...

We all have a more than a few of these stories, let's not kid ourselves here.

Another impossibly difficult conversation with his provider, who, scared by the rising number of opioid prescribers facing criminal prosecution, would soon close the pain clinic.

I began believing in the late 1990s my patients were compliant since they self reported no aberrations, and had 3 month visits. I began UDS testing without confirmatory testing initially and found many aberrancies, but part of these could be explained by inaccuracy in the testing. Out of concerns from this I moved to bimonthly visits. Then I started asking about specifics such as any hospital visits, falls, use of alcohol, cocaine, marijuana or other illicits ANY TIME DURING THE MONTH. It was eye opening. I then lowered my prescribing interval from two months to monthly and instituted UDS with confirmatory testing. Even with all our rules and regulations, 20% of the patients each month were abusing drugs. Jettisoned more and more patients, while tightening up my requirements to accept any patient, and would not accept anyone out of state, then eventually anyone outside of the area. PMP access eventually became available and was initially checked once a year, then later once every 3 months, then once a month. Added mandatory direct fax of prior prescribers history and progress notes before I would even make an appointment for those wanting to see me, and screened out over 50% of those who would have otherwise been given an initial appointment. There were some doozies of doctor shoppers that were caught in this manner and they were quickly kicked out of the practice. Instead of rare UDS, I increased this to targeted UDS plus at least yearly UDS. Kicked out more patients. Began working with local police departments notifying them of diversion of drugs and some departments reciprocated notifying me about patients that were running off the road DUI, crashing, injuring others, and in rare cases about those who were known to be selling drugs. Then I added alcohol testing- found 25% of my patients were actively drinking alcohol in spite of clinic rules specifically stating possible discharge under such conditions- they did not care. Patients will do whatever they damned well please despite all the clinic rules, all the CDC guidelines, and regardless of the risk to your medical license and medical practice. They may use cocaine in week one or two after being seen in your clinic. They may have sold most of the drug by the end of the first week, as I found out when I instituted mandatory pill counts between visits discovering only 30% had at least as many pills as expected. Jettison more patients. Finally I had enough and jettisoned all patients receiving opioids.

So........no, I am no longer helping the chronic pain population by being a "compassionate" doctor any longer, nor am I fulfilling my desire to help people with chronic pain by using all means necessary or available. The upside is that I have selected out treatment options that do not require me to herd cats or involve myself with unsavory, potentially dangerous chemically dependent patients (re: addicts). There is just too much overlap in the Venn diagrams of the legitimate compliant pain population that would benefit from opioids, those who are out of control with their use of opioids or engage in illicits/alcohol use at the same time as opioids, and the population diverting opioids. My time as a physician is better spent helping those I can help rather than trying to determine who is scamming me, who may overdose, and who may become violent if they don't get their candy. When added to the pressures from state attorney generals, threats of litigation from families should a patient die while taking opioids, medical board actions, county civil suite actions, and push back by every branch of government, I found it impossible to continue prescribing opioids. My conclusion is that whereas opioids are a viable option for a few patients, at least 80% of those being prescribed opioids should not be receiving them since they pose a threat to themselves and to society. In order to prescribe opioids, an elaborate screening and compliance program is needed, requiring significant number of hours and effort to keep the practice clean, but even then if we look hard enough (alcohol testing of urine, pill counts throughout the month) we find we are being scammed. The majority of the general population who would seek opioids from pain doctors are indeed addicts, engage in dangerous practices with drugs, or are diverting drugs for sale or trade. I haven't the patience nor the time left in my career trying to weed out the majority those seeking opioids that could easily end my career through no fault of my own. The risks of opioid prescribing are far too high to many patients and the benefits are too low for even a few patients to continue this dangerous game of roulette.

Reactions: 17 users
I began believing in the late 1990s my patients were compliant since they self reported no aberrations, and had 3 month visits. I began UDS testing without confirmatory testing initially and found many aberrancies, but part of these could be explained by inaccuracy in the testing. Out of concerns from this I moved to bimonthly visits. Then I started asking about specifics such as any hospital visits, falls, use of alcohol, cocaine, marijuana or other illicits ANY TIME DURING THE MONTH. It was eye opening. I then lowered my prescribing interval from two months to monthly and instituted UDS with confirmatory testing. Even with all our rules and regulations, 20% of the patients each month were abusing drugs. Jettisoned more and more patients, while tightening up my requirements to accept any patient, and would not accept anyone out of state, then eventually anyone outside of the area. PMP access eventually became available and was initially checked once a year, then later once every 3 months, then once a month. Added mandatory direct fax of prior prescribers history and progress notes before I would even make an appointment for those wanting to see me, and screened out over 50% of those who would have otherwise been given an initial appointment. There were some doozies of doctor shoppers that were caught in this manner and they were quickly kicked out of the practice. Instead of rare UDS, I increased this to targeted UDS plus at least yearly UDS. Kicked out more patients. Began working with local police departments notifying them of diversion of drugs and some departments reciprocated notifying me about patients that were running off the road DUI, crashing, injuring others, and in rare cases about those who were known to be selling drugs. Then I added alcohol testing- found 25% of my patients were actively drinking alcohol in spite of clinic rules specifically stating possible discharge under such conditions- they did not care. Patients will do whatever they damned well please despite all the clinic rules, all the CDC guidelines, and regardless of the risk to your medical license and medical practice. They may use cocaine in week one or two after being seen in your clinic. They may have sold most of the drug by the end of the first week, as I found out when I instituted mandatory pill counts between visits discovering only 30% had at least as many pills as expected. Jettison more patients. Finally I had enough and jettisoned all patients receiving opioids.

So........no, I am no longer helping the chronic pain population by being a "compassionate" doctor any longer, nor am I fulfilling my desire to help people with chronic pain by using all means necessary or available. The upside is that I have selected out treatment options that do not require me to herd cats or involve myself with unsavory, potentially dangerous chemically dependent patients (re: addicts). There is just too much overlap in the Venn diagrams of the legitimate compliant pain population that would benefit from opioids, those who are out of control with their use of opioids or engage in illicits/alcohol use at the same time as opioids, and the population diverting opioids. My time as a physician is better spent helping those I can help rather than trying to determine who is scamming me, who may overdose, and who may become violent if they don't get their candy. When added to the pressures from state attorney generals, threats of litigation from families should a patient die while taking opioids, medical board actions, county civil suite actions, and push back by every branch of government, I found it impossible to continue prescribing opioids. My conclusion is that whereas opioids are a viable option for a few patients, at least 80% of those being prescribed opioids should not be receiving them since they pose a threat to themselves and to society. In order to prescribe opioids, an elaborate screening and compliance program is needed, requiring significant number of hours and effort to keep the practice clean, but even then if we look hard enough (alcohol testing of urine, pill counts throughout the month) we find we are being scammed. The majority of the general population who would seek opioids from pain doctors are indeed addicts, engage in dangerous practices with drugs, or are diverting drugs for sale or trade. I haven't the patience nor the time left in my career trying to weed out the majority those seeking opioids that could easily end my career through no fault of my own. The risks of opioid prescribing are far too high to many patients and the benefits are too low for even a few patients to continue this dangerous game of roulette.

Sobering read Algos. What are your thoughts on butrans and tramadol?

Butrans definitely an option and tramadol probably if any opioids must be prescribed. At least these reduce the risks compared to Roxicodone, methadone, or hydromorphone (currently the favorite on the street, primarily being obtained through pain physician prescribing)

My favorite lines:

"My time as a physician is better spent helping those I can help rather than trying to determine who is scamming me, who may overdose, and who may become violent if they don't get their candy."

"My conclusion is that whereas opioids are a viable option for a few patients, at least 80% of those being prescribed opioids should not be receiving them since they pose a threat to themselves and to society."

"The majority of the general population who would seek opioids from pain doctors are indeed addicts, engage in dangerous practices with drugs, or are diverting drugs for sale or trade."

I figured these things out in my first year of practice working in a place that, up until I arrived, had been an unspoken pills for injections social contract.

Reactions: 3 users
Medical misadventures in opioid prescribing...

‘Unintended Consequences’: Inside the fallout of America’s crackdown on opioids

‘UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES’

Inside the fallout of America’s crackdown on opioids

By Terrence McCoy, Photos by Bonnie Jo Mount
May 31, 2018
crackdown19.jpg

Comments

COLVILLE, Wash. —

The morning of the long drive, a drive he took every month now, Kenyon Stewart rose from the living room recliner and winced in pain. He looked outside, at the valley stretching below his trailer, and again wondered whether it was getting time to end it. He believed living was a choice, and this was how he considered making his: a trip to the gun store. A purchase of a Glock 9mm. An answer to a problem that didn’t seem to have one.

Stewart is 49 years old. He has long silver hair and an eighth-grade education. For the past four years, he has taken large amounts of prescription opioids, ever since a surgery to replace his left hip, ruined by decades of trucking, left him with nerve damage. In the time since, his life buckled. First he lost his job. Then his house, forcing a move across the state to this trailer park. Then began a monthly drive of 367 miles, back to his old pain clinic, for an opioid prescription that no doctor nearby would write.

“It’s 10 after,” reminded Tyra Mauch, his partner of 27 years, watching him limp over to her.

“Got to go,” he said, nodding.

He hugged her for a long moment, outside the bathroom with the missing door, head full of anxiety. He knew what awaited him on the other side of the drive. Another impossibly difficult conversation with his provider, who, scared by the rising number of opioid prescribers facing criminal prosecution, would soon close the pain clinic. Another cut in his dosage in preparation for that day. More thoughts of the Glock.

The story of prescription opioids in America today is not only one of addiction, overdoses and the crimes they have wrought, but also the story of pain patients like Kenyon Stewart and their increasingly desperate struggles to secure the medication. After decades of explosive growth, the annual volume of prescription opioids shrank 29 percent between 2011 and 2017, even as the number of overdose deaths has climbed ever higher, according to the IQVIA Institute for Human Data Science, which collects data for federal agencies. The drop in prescriptions has been greater still for patients receiving high doses, most of whom have chronic pain.

dosage-300.png

Opioid dosages at a 10-year low

Prescriptions per 100 people

All dosages

High dosage

Source: QuintilesIMS Transactional Data Warehouse, Centers for Disease Control

and Prevention

THE WASHINGTON POST

The correction has been so rapid, and so excruciating for some patients, that a growing number of doctors, health experts and patient advocates are expressing alarm that the race to end one crisis may be inadvertently creating another.

“I am seeing many people who are being harmed by these sometimes draconian actions amid this headstrong rush into finding a simple solution to this incredibly complicated problem,” said Sean Mackey, the chief of Stanford University’s Division of Pain Medicine. “I do worry about the unintended consequences.”

Chronic pain patients, such as Stewart, are driving extraordinary distances to find or continue seeing doctors. They are flying across the country to fill prescriptions. Some have turned to unregulated alternatives such as kratom, which the Drug Enforcement Administration warns could cause dependence and psychotic symptoms. And yet others are threatening suicide on social media, and have even followed through, as doctors taper pain medication in a massive undertaking that Stefan Kertesz, a professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham who studies addiction and opioids, described as “having no precedent in the history of medicine.”

The trend accelerated last year, in part as a result of guidelines the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published in 2016. Noting that long-term opioid use among patients with chronic pain increased the likelihood of addiction and overdose, and had uncertain benefits, they discouraged doses higher than the equivalent of 90 milligrams of morphine.

prescriptions-300.png

The rise and fall of opioid prescriptions in the U.S. since 1992

Prescribed morphine milligram equivalents, in billions

Source: IQVIA Institute for Human

Data Science

THE WASHINGTON POST

The guidelines, criticized as neither accounting for the differences in how quickly patients metabolize opioids nor addressing clearly enough what to do about patients who were receiving more than 90 morphine milligrams, helped open a new era of regulation. Dozens of states, Medicare and large pharmacy chains such as CVS have since announced or imposed restrictions on opioid prescriptions. The Justice Department, in a continuing push to crack down on pill mills and reckless doctors, announced in January that it would focus on providers writing “unusual or disproportionate” prescriptions. And some physicians, fearful of the financial and legal peril in prescribing opioids, and newly aware of their hazards, have stopped prescribing them altogether.

“We have to be careful of using a blunt instrument where a fine scalpel is needed,” said former surgeon general Vivek H. Murthy, who prioritized the opioid crisis during his tenure, and wants to increase access to alternative treatments. “We already experienced a pendulum swing in one direction, and if we swing the pendulum in the other direction, we will hurt people.”

Stewart, who said he hurt more every day, let go of Tyra. “See you Friday night,” he whispered to her. “Like always.”

He went outside to his truck. He checked for the third time that his near-empty pain medication bottles were in his duffle bag. Zipping the bag, he sighed. What he had left — five pills — would never last him until his next refill, two days from now. The pain, the withdrawal: All of it was only hours away. It would hit during the drive. He knew it.

How much longer could he keep doing this? How much longer could he afford to blow $900 a month — on gas, food, two nights in a motel, and pills for which he had no insurance? How much longer could he drive so many miles for less and less?

Something had to change.

But for now he started the truck, pulled out onto the mountain road, and then one mile was down, and there were 366 to go.

have shown they’re twice as likely to commit suicide, and what little research has been done on forcibly tapering opioid regimens has been troubling. One study, published last year in the journal General Hospital Psychiatry, tracked 509 military veterans involuntarily taken off opioids. It reported that 12 percent had suicidal ideation or violent suicidal behavior, nearly three times the rate of veterans at large.

She also knew about the hysteria in online chronic-pain forums. People were threatening to kill themselves because they couldn’t get medication. News articles about pain patients who had done it were being passed around on the Internet. “My wife committed suicide in October as a direct result of this,” said Wes Haddix, a retired dentist in Charlottesville. One doctor, Thomas Kline of Raleigh, N.C., recently came out of retirement and is reaching out to suicidal pain patients. “They write me, ‘Help me, I’m going to kill myself. What can I do?’ ” he said, echoing conversations that were ongoing in Wedvik’s office, too.

Some discussed it overtly: “I’ll be here for six months,” one man had said, “and then I’ll commit suicide.”

Others subtly: “I don’t want to kill myself,” said Karla Friend, a slight woman of 54 years. “But . . .”

Then there were patients such as Kenyon Stewart. Wedvik didn’t know about the Glock. But when he came into her office later that day, and was looking at her from across the desk, eyes red, hair disheveled, leg shaking, she knew something was very wrong.

“Can we have a talk?” Stewart said.

finding a doctor guilty of five federal drug charges, including conspiring to possess and distribute prescription opioids.

In Pennsylvania, the governor was absorbing criticism that he wasn’t combating the opioid crisis after he vetoed a bill that would have regulated drug prescriptions for injured workers.

In Montana, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions was telling an audience in Billings that doctors prescribed too many opioids, and that “we’re going to target those doctors.”

And meanwhile, in Washington state, on the side of a mountain 48 miles south of the Canadian border, Stewart was putting two bottles stuffed with opioids into his pocket and heading into his trailer.

“I missed you,” he said, hugging Tyra. “I missed you so much this time.”

He let her go and went into his bedroom, overrun with things that fit in their old house but not here. He reached up into the closet and placed the pills in an alcove at the top of his closet, where he thought nobody would think to look. He changed into shorts, grunting in pain, then went outside to look at the trailers along the dirt road.

Tomorrow, he would wake early and divide his medication, placing the week’s tapered ration into a plastic baggie. He would get on the computer and unsuccessfully try to buy kratom, which Wedvik had recommended. He would consider the Glock, then push the thought out of his head. “It’s going to be hard,” he would tell Tyra of what awaited, and she would respond, “We’ve been through worse.”

But in this moment, he kept looking out into the valley, the mountain casting a long shadow across half of it.

An elderly neighbor came out and saw him.

“Did you just get back?” she asked, and he nodded.

“Got to go back again?” she asked.

“No more,” he said, turning to head back inside. “I’m done.”

He limped for the stairs and closed the door behind him, as the shadow outside began to move across the rest of the valley.

‘I don’t know how you got this way:’ A young neo-Nazi reveals himself to his family
After the 2016 election, Kam Musser went from supporting white supremacists to joining a neo-Nazi group. And now his mother and grandmother wonder whether they can get him back.

Some say people on disability just need to get back to work. It's not that easy.
Lisa Daunhauer wanted to be one of the few to get off benefits. But first she had to succeed at Walmart.

This nurse. No words.

Giving “one last” massive dose of opioids, above and beyond the patient’s current level of tolerance, as a parting gift... to someone who has just basically admitted to your office staff that they are actively drinking, and asking at the front desk if they are going to get a UDS today. Who is displaying significant emotional instability in the office right in front of you. With suicidal ideation. When they are about to drive hundreds of miles across the state home!

Take her lisence now. How are we just letting these people actively destroy society with no oversight at all?

We should move this thread to private forum

Except students won't be able to read and participate in the discussion. At its core, SDN is an educational community to help students. If no financial information is being discussed, then it is valuable to a wider audience to read and participate in this forum...

About SDN
We are a non-profit academic community founded in 1999. Our mission: help students become doctors.

Join thousands of fellow college students, health professional students and practicing doctors from across the United States and Canada. Membership is always free, anonymous, and member information is never sold or shared with other organizations.

Nursing boards are the last to ever remove a NPs license for overprescribing. The boards simply do not have enough experienced members to understand opioid prescribing, chronic pain, or overprescribing therefore they let out-of-control nurses continue to kill and injure patients without any repercussions. They also are hell-bent on expanding the scope of practice of nurses, therefore will do little to curtail the fringes of their profession.

Nursing boards are the last to ever remove a NPs license for overprescribing. The boards simply do not have enough experienced members to understand opioid prescribing, chronic pain, or overprescribing therefore they let out-of-control nurses continue to kill and injure patients without any repercussions. They also are hell-bent on expanding the scope of practice of nurses, therefore will do little to curtail the fringes of their profession.

No. It is much worse than that.

Georgia nursing board prioritizes drug-addicted nurses over patients, report says

Butrans definitely an option and tramadol probably if any opioids must be prescribed. At least these reduce the risks compared to Roxicodone, methadone, or hydromorphone (currently the favorite on the street, primarily being obtained through pain physician prescribing)
Despite the current physician love affair with Tramadol and all the the talk of how weak it is and how it should be OTC I envision it as our next problem drug. Heck, I can recall practicing in Seattle when Canada had "222" with 7.5 mg of codeine available OTC. They crossed the border, purchased a bunch and took 4-5 at a time. I understand we need to have "something" but nothing is too weak to be a problem in the long term given our perceived right to chemically induced comfort in this country.

Despite the current physician love affair with Tramadol and all the the talk of how weak it is and how it should be OTC I envision it as our next problem drug. Heck, I can recall practicing in Seattle when Canada had "222" with 7.5 mg of codeine available OTC. They crossed the border, purchased a bunch and took 4-5 at a time. I understand we need to have "something" but nothing is too weak to be a problem in the long term given our perceived right to chemically induced comfort in this country.

Currently a drug of choice for abuse in poorer countries, cheap and effective. Vice had a good piece on this in Palestine and I recall an recent article about an epidemic of use in the middle east.

Any nurse prescribing or pretending to be a physician is by definition out of control, so to me all NPs and especially "DNPs" are out of control.

physician extenders (PA, NP) should be restricted from prescribing opioids.

Last edited:
Rumor has it that by the middle of 2019 we will see a 50 MED limit.

That’s crazy. I wonder if this India produced drug also has something else in it?
I recognize there are a certain small percentage of patients who could theoretically become dependent on tramadol, but I have yet to see one patient like this in the US after 10 years of pain practice.

Last edited:
It could be adulterated, they could be combining with other psychotropics, Etoh etc. Could also be variance in metabolism leading to much greater effect at mu receptor.