Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patches

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone currently enrolled at WSU in Pullman? I was just wondering how are the classes and professors, because i am thinking of transfering there. The school I am currently attending is a small state college. In my O-chem class there is twenty students which is nice, but our professor is an airhead who cannot explain or answer questions very well. I was also wondering if attending wsu as an undergraduate will help me get into their pharmacy program? Any response is very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't give any particulars about the actual pharmacy program, but I took several undergrad classes at WSU (including o-chem) as well as my first year of grad school. I really like WSU and the entire Pullman-Moscow area. I say "Pullman-Moscow" because the area really is two college towns right next to each other (Moscow has the University of Idaho, where I got my undergrad). As such, about 50% of the population are college students - depending on what you're used to, I guess this could be good or bad. I found it to be a fun environment that I still miss (San Antonio sucks in comparison).

Academically, I think that WSU is a good choice, although I wasn't overly impressed with my O-Chem class (it was a summer class taught by a first-time TA). Other classes I took there (in the Molecular Biosciences department) were great - the professors were friendly and approachable.

When I was a grad student, one of the classes that I TA'd was in the pharmacy building (which also shares classroom space with the vet school). I would see clusters pharmacy students moving from class to class in white coats, and they seemed friendly enough. I knew a couple of people at WSU that got into the pharmacy program right before I left, but I'm not sure if they received preference because they were existing students (they had high GPAs and had several extracurriculars, though).

PM me if you have any other particular questions about Pullman or WSU - I hope that I can help!

Hi Moxxie,

I am from out of state and interviewed with WSU at the Spokane campus. The interviewers told me that the Pullman campus (where you spend the first two years of pharm school) is a small town but full of college students and pretty fun.

Questions for you: Is WSU pharm school diverse? What do people do for fun? Any idea how it compares to some of the California pharmacy schools? Any other info on WSU and Pullman is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
coolpharmguy said:
Hi Moxxie,

I am from out of state and interviewed with WSU at the Spokane campus. The interviewers told me that the Pullman campus (where you spend the first two years of pharm school) is a small town but full of college students and pretty fun.

Questions for you: Is WSU pharm school diverse? What do people do for fun? Any idea how it compares to some of the California pharmacy schools? Any other info on WSU and Pullman is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

coolpharmguy -

Like I said before, I can't really comment on the pharmacy program itself, but I really like WSU and Pullman in general. I lived in the Moscow/Pullman area (called the Palouse) for 6 years. I would say that WSU's diversity is OK, but nowhere near what you would see at UW or a California school. There's a link in the pre-pharm FAQ from the aacp that has a .pdf with all sorts of demographic data from all the pharmacy schools in the U.S. I think it's at: http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TRACKID=&VID=1&CID=106&DID=3113

As far as what students do for fun, I would say that the undergrad population is typical of that of most state schools. Let's put it this way - they banned a sweatshirt the year I was there that said "Wazzu - our drinking team has a football problem." But there are lots of other things to do than party - the Palouse is a gateway to all sorts of outdoor activities. For a small college town, there are lots of cultural activities. I was never really bored - but I can keep myself busy ;)

PM me if you have any other specific questions. Oh, and one last thing - don't base your opinions about WSU from what you saw in Spokane. Spokane is a dreadful, ugly city - very different from Pullman!

patches said:
Is anyone currently enrolled at WSU in Pullman? I was just wondering how are the classes and professors, because i am thinking of transfering there. The school I am currently attending is a small state college. In my O-chem class there is twenty students which is nice, but our professor is an airhead who cannot explain or answer questions very well. I was also wondering if attending wsu as an undergraduate will help me get into their pharmacy program? Any response is very appreciated.
I am not aware of anyone on the board who is currently at Washington State. I'm at UW, so I know a little about their program. The education itself is pretty decent. A big emphasis is placed on communication skills, which is why they have a big portfolio that they require be submitted as a part of the application process. Alot of students there want to practice pharmacy in smaller towns and are local to WA state. Internships that go during the school year are hard to find. I think you will be required to do half of your 4th year rotations in Spokane and the other half in either Moses Lake or Yakima. Going to WSU does not mean that you automatically get in. Perhaps if you got a letter from someone the adcom knew personally, they might weigh it more heavily. Tuition for in-state is not so bad.