Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSade469

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to Washington University in St. Louis post=bac premed program, does anyone one know anything about this school. Is it better to live on campus or off? Anyone have any experience or know things to watch out for?

Thanks,

Caroline :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about this school???

CSade469 said:
Does anyone know anything about this school???

I don't know a whole lot about their program, but I know the area. Are the classes at the main campus? Will you have a car? Where are you moving from? Cost of living may seem very low for you if moving from one of the coasts.

Members don't see this ad :)
jlw said:
I don't know a whole lot about their program, but I know the area. Are the classes at the main campus? Will you have a car? Where are you moving from? Cost of living may seem very low for you if moving from one of the coasts.
I'm moving from Virginia, to St. Louis. I just want to know how the campus is, how are the classes.. ect...

THanks,

Caroline

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to guess the classes are at the main campus, not the medical campus. In that case, it's pretty nice- urban/suburban, but lots of stuff to do nearby. Crime rate is fairly low immediately around campus, gets a bit sketchier if you go a few blocks north.

Regarding housing, if you don't want to live on campus, you should be able to find a pretty nice 1BR at $600 or under within a 10 min drive of campus with no problem. Several people have posted housing suggestions in other threads, so you may want to do a search. I'd recommend having a car no matter what.

jlw said:
I'm going to guess the classes are at the main campus, not the medical campus. In that case, it's pretty nice- urban/suburban, but lots of stuff to do nearby. Crime rate is fairly low immediately around campus, gets a bit sketchier if you go a few blocks north.

Regarding housing, if you don't want to live on campus, you should be able to find a pretty nice 1BR at $600 or under within a 10 min drive of campus with no problem. Several people have posted housing suggestions in other threads, so you may want to do a search. I'd recommend having a car no matter what.

Gee thanks, it seem like a nice place to go to school, do you know about the average people who do the post-bac program, meaning do they usually get into the dental program/medical program that they were trying to get into or is it still difficult. I don't know if i have to stay on campus, b.c i shouldn't be really classified as a freshmen.... I hope I get an option.. don't know about re-living those college years, if you know what i mean. Its hard to get in contact with the dean, but i guess i better drop him an e-mail. Thanks for the info, if anyone else has anymore helpful information about The University of Washington in St. Louis, please feel free to comment.

THanks,

Caroline :scared:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Caroline,

I've applied to the Wash U post-bac program, as well, along with Harvard, Penn, and Yale. Did you apply to any others, and why did you choose to apply to Wash U?

St. Louis is a beautiful city. I learned a little bit about the area around the med school when I went out there, but have been to STL numerous times. The campus is gorgeous. I don't know if you've ever been to STL but its a small "big city" with a nice feel...everything is relatively close, not a lot of traffic, you can find empty parking meters by the Blues hockey games. There are some trendy areas...Soulard, etc...but that would require a commute. Lots of young professionals, and bars, restaurants, nightlife.

I was looking into the MHA program housed under the medical school, and I know the recommendations from past students I met there, and the directors of the program, were to live at the Central West End. A trendy neigborhood with bars, restaurants, and nice atmosphere. A friend of mine who is familiar with STL told me that Central West End is a predominantly gay neighborhood, very diverse in that sense.

Im going to Boston instead i think, but that is the info i have. good luck. Rent is fair out in st. louis and you get some decent places. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

etikit said:
St. Louis is a beautiful city. I learned a little bit about the area around the med school when I went out there, but have been to STL numerous times. The campus is gorgeous. I don't know if you've ever been to STL but its a small "big city" with a nice feel...everything is relatively close, not a lot of traffic, you can find empty parking meters by the Blues hockey games. There are some trendy areas...Soulard, etc...but that would require a commute. Lots of young professionals, and bars, restaurants, nightlife.

I was looking into the MHA program housed under the medical school, and I know the recommendations from past students I met there, and the directors of the program, were to live at the Central West End. A trendy neigborhood with bars, restaurants, and nice atmosphere. A friend of mine who is familiar with STL told me that Central West End is a predominantly gay neighborhood, very diverse in that sense.

Gee thanks for all the advice, that is very very helpful, especially since i know nothing about the area. I applied to sooo many post-bac programs, i can't even count them... The programs i remember that i applied to are.. Boston (which i heard they needed my DAT scores after i already sent it to them).. then i hadn't heard from them since.. I applied to Hampton University.. <-- they took the check and haven't responded.. umm.. Crieghton University.. <-- just got a rejection letter, VCU <-- said there were more qualified applicants... uhh.. who else... so then i was reading about where other people applied and U. of Wash. came up, person said they had a great experience and it help her to get into dental school. So i applied to this school last month and received a package saying i got in last week. So to sum up the story, this is the only place i got accepted to, and i'm tired of filling out numerous applications. The more I learn about this school, the more I'm liking the place. I'm from VA, and this seems like it is a similar type of place.. not too big.. and small town city living, which i like. I'm deciding now if i'm going to have to move all my stuff to an apartment.. or if I'm going to move just the essentials.. The thing about this school that i love already is the staff. I spoke to Dean Ehrlich and he is very nice and willing to help, Unlike VCU.. where you can't get a live person to save your life.

Thanks for all your help SDN, if anyone has anymore info. to add about Washington University in St. Louis post-bac program, please feel free to comment, also if you have anything to share about where to live.. that would be much appreciated!!!

Caroline

I'm from chicago, but I have a whole bunch of buddies from St. Louis who know the area very well...I may be able to help you out. What type of place are looking to live in? Be honest...my buddies range from drunk stoner crazy dudes to smart straight gate half-day philosophers. I know some people working down there, graduated from college about two years ago, and some at law school, med school.

if you want some help..........or just post up
[email protected]

etikit said:
I'm from chicago, but I have a whole bunch of buddies from St. Louis who know the area very well...I may be able to help you out. What type of place are looking to live in? Be honest...my buddies range from drunk stoner crazy dudes to smart straight gate half-day philosophers. I know some people working down there, graduated from college about two years ago, and some at law school, med school.

if you want some help..........or just post up
[email protected]

Hey, thanks for the help. I am planing to visit either June 1st or 2nd with the dean. If I have time i was going to go searching for some apartments. I never had financial aid before, but since i'm older and can claim myself, i will be eligible. I'm not sure how much finanical aid is going to give me towards living, but i'm trying to get enough so i don't have to work while in this post-bac program. I'm looking for a safe place number one.. umm: accepts small pet (dog 16 lbs), 1 bedroom for now.. since i don't know anyone, has a deck, i'm not a fan of living in old run down places.. so it has to be somewhat renervated, looking to spend around 700 a month. Oh also, i would like to be around the campus.. maybe on the shuttle, or within biking distance. Either way, I have a car so commuting to campus wouldn't be a problem either.

Thanks for all the help..

Caroline

Hi, I just got into the WashU post-bac program for the fall 2009 semester. I saw this old post...did you end up going there? If you did, what did you think?
I am hearing from programs right now...I got into USC, WashU, and Georgetown right now, and I would really like some information on WashU, or some general advice!

Hey, thanks for the help. I am planing to visit either June 1st or 2nd with the dean. If I have time i was going to go searching for some apartments. I never had financial aid before, but since i'm older and can claim myself, i will be eligible. I'm not sure how much finanical aid is going to give me towards living, but i'm trying to get enough so i don't have to work while in this post-bac program. I'm looking for a safe place number one.. umm: accepts small pet (dog 16 lbs), 1 bedroom for now.. since i don't know anyone, has a deck, i'm not a fan of living in old run down places.. so it has to be somewhat renervated, looking to spend around 700 a month. Oh also, i would like to be around the campus.. maybe on the shuttle, or within biking distance. Either way, I have a car so commuting to campus wouldn't be a problem either.

Thanks for all the help..

Caroline