Washington University of St. Louis LOR Number?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EileenX

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew what the limit on LOR are for Wash U St. Louis. Their MD side want 3 university instructors and 1 extracurricular person. Their MSTP side wants all research mentors. MSAR says 3-6 recommendations. Can I submit up to 6 recommendations (or even up to 7 or 8?), especially as an MSTP candidate? I emailed their office and called, but due to COVID, no response yet...

Members don't see this ad.

Got a reply! Wash U in St Louis will accept unlimited recs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the update! I'm curious, have you found any MSTP programs that prefer or absolutely do not accept extra LOR (compared to their MD-only LOR maximum)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the update! I'm curious, have you found any MSTP programs that prefer or absolutely do not accept extra LOR (compared to their MD-only LOR maximum)?

Basically every MSTP will accept more LORs because many (if not most) applicants will need to submit a LOR from a few PIs in addition to the standard 2+1 science:non-science class letters as well as any other misc letters. You should really take a quick look at each program you apply to though.

Basically every MSTP will accept more LORs because many (if not most) applicants will need to submit a LOR from a few PIs in addition to the standard 2+1 science:non-science class letters as well as any other misc letters. You should really take a quick look at each program you apply to though.

Thanks for your reply :)
Yeah, I saw that UCLA MSTP has a maximum of 5 LOR, which seems to be the same maximum for just their medical school.