WashU, Dell, Baylor (Identifying a top choice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_diggity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out if I can write a Letter of Intent to my top choice, WashU, but I have a unique situation and need to consult internet strangers to help me decide if I’m certain enough to do that.

Note: I'm pretty much between WashU and Dell, although Baylor has some attributes that may make it a good compromise.

Background:
  • Non-trad, early 30s male
  • Life goals: become a doctor and work hard, but not to completely sacrifice relationships, family, friends etc- lifestyle factors are important
  • I will probably want to pursue a competitive specialty but am open-minded
  • Family and friends:
    • Mom sister and nieces live in the Midwest
    • Most of my closest friends are in Texas, so is my dad
  • Currently in St. Louis. Have made good friends here, but many will leave for med school soon.
  • Feels like WashU vs. Dell/Baylor is choosing family vs. friends; or one side of my family vs. the other, making it much harder

WashU

Pros
  • Highest-ranked
  • Close to my mom and nieces who are poor and can’t travel a lot
  • Low cost of living, $120k max loans for me, average graduate debt is $100k
  • Big city amenities without all the annoying bustle, traffic, parking problems, etc
  • Underserved community, advocacy opportunities
  • Unparalleled research and career opportunities
  • I like their curriculum
    • Excellent mentorship, EXPLORE program, career advising
    • P/F rotations
  • I felt that the students were very similar to myself, which was inspiring, it seemed like people thought similarly to me, had similar goals and values, etc; didn't get this vibe from any other school
  • Non-trad friendly (40% are >24yo, 5% are >30yo)
Cons
  • Crime in St. Louis (car got broken into a few weeks ago lol)
  • I have made a couple of close friends here, but I sometimes feel isolated (but perhaps this will change when I meet my med school classmates)
  • Would essentially be committing to be away from my best friends for the next 7+ years
  • Have heard that there are still kinks in the Gateway curriculum, with unnecessary busywork; current MS4s are the first to go through it all

Dell

Pros
  • Near my closest friends in life, also ~3hrs from my dad
  • My goal ever since I left Austin 6 years ago has always been to return! This was always my dream school
  • I LOVE their curriculum
    • 1-year preclin and core clin is 2nd year.
    • If I want to do a competitive specialty then 3rd year would be a built-in research year.
    • Sounds like the last 2 years are pretty chill and conducive to starting a family if that’s in the cards at that point
  • Good tech/AI/innovation opportunities
  • Very fun city with lots of people to meet and things to do with my friends
  • Very inexpensive; average debt is $100k (same as WashU)
  • Non-trad friendly (40% are >24yo, 5% are >30yo)
  • P/F curriculum; but how would I stand out for residencies?
Cons
  • Austin is now a medium-high cost-of-living city and it’s increasing every year.
  • Newer school might mean their career/residency advising is subpar
  • It’s crowded
  • Hospitals and clinical sites are subpar I’ve heard, but they’ve announced a huge expansion, though I’m unsure if it’ll be done in time for me to benefit
  • I wonder if the condensed curriculum will leave me less prepared for residency
  • Have heard students complain about the curriculum being “good in theory but leaves more to be desired in practice” but I hear this at most schools (most still liked it though)
  • Very small class size of 50, but this will be offset by my being near pre-existing friends
  • Would feel like committing to be far away from my mom sister and nieces for the next 7-10 years

Baylor

Pros
  • Great reputation
  • Close to my dad, and I have friends in Houston. My friends in Austin could visit easily (3hrs away)
  • Texas medical center for clinical sites
  • Good innovation/tech opportunities
  • Good mentorship programs
  • Houston is diverse which I love
  • P/F preclin and clinicals; but how would I stand out for residency?
Cons
  • Located in an expensive, crowded area of Houston
  • Heard parking is horrific
  • I would have to take Orgo 2 in April lol (makes me want to die)
  • Non-trad unfriendly (80% younger than 24, less than 1% older than 30)
  • Most expensive on this list, average OOS debt is $170k, could easily end up costing 250k+ though.
  • Would feel like committing to be far away from my mom sister and nieces for the next 7-10 years

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is 100% WashU. Its closer to your family and a superb school. In terms of isolation, you will clearly make friends in med school as a lot of the other students will be non-trad like yourself. And if you want to end up in Texas for residency, I believe that door won't completely close.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
This is 100% WashU. Its closer to your family and a superb school. In terms of isolation, you will clearly make friends in med school as a lot of the other students will be non-trad like yourself. And if you want to end up in Texas for residency, I believe that door won't completely close.
Dang. I always wanted to go back to Texas lol. Never did I imagine that I’d even interview at a place like WashU.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users