WashU MD -> MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stherling

stherling
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how easy/difficult or if it is even possible to transfer from the MD to MSTP programs at WashU (St Louis)? Like some others here I got rejected from MSTP but was offered an MD-only interview, and I'm wondering if it might be worth a gamble (I do like their MSTP program a great deal).

Members don't see this ad.

At Wash U. there have been students switch from MD or PhD to MSTP, though very rare.

stherling said:
Does anyone know how easy/difficult or if it is even possible to transfer from the MD to MSTP programs at WashU (St Louis)? Like some others here I got rejected from MSTP but was offered an MD-only interview, and I'm wondering if it might be worth a gamble (I do like their MSTP program a great deal).

Many programs do accept "second cycle" applicants, i.e., individuals currently in the MD or PhD program. I would encourage individuals in your situation to contact the program director or administrator to see if this is possible. You should specifically ask them how often they accept 2nd cycle applicants (they would probably be able to tell you how many 2nd cycle applications are received each year and how many are admitted), whether your application will be treated the same as first-time applicants, and whether there is any difference in the financial aid offered to 2nd cycle students.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just asked this exact question yesterday and was told that last year 2 people switched in from MD-only, so it definitely is possible. I had my MD-only interview yesterday and haven't heard from their MSTP. I almost felt like walking into the office and yelling END THE SUSPENSE ALREADY! :p

It was kinda funny, I got my 'you have been rejected' letter from MSTP the same day I got my 'you are now under review' letter from the MD program. and then I got my interview invite the same day as another letter asking me to apply to WashU. :p

but anyway...good! there's hope then. I don't suppose they retroactively cover your first year's tuition if you switch in your second year though... :)

Oh, also -- did they mention how many people applied second-cycle? I mean, 2/5 is great, 2/100 not so hot. and do you know if the two who did switch had applied before and been rejected, or if they were new applicants? Just curious :)

Everyone I know that has applied MSTP from MD at Wash U has gotten in. (At least 5-10 people). You could contact Andrew and Brian to ask for exact odds, but they are pretty darn good.
I don't think they refund 1st year tuition.
It would likely help to work in a lab at WashU during your first year of med school. You should have plenty of time--first year is pass fail and not particularly hard if you are coming directly out of college. Ask MSTPs in your class about good labs (many of them do research before 1st year in the summer).
On the other hand, PhD to MSTP is almost impossible. I only know of 1 person who has done that (and it might not have even been at Wash U...)

Good luck!

I think the PhD-MSTP is very hard at almost all schools. The only school I know that seems to be open to it is sinai. I wonder why it's so difficult to do.

jjmack said:
I think the PhD-MSTP is very hard at almost all schools. The only school I know that seems to be open to it is sinai. I wonder why it's so difficult to do.

I think it's a combination of a lot of reasons, in no particular order.

-Usually (and obviously there are many exceptions) straight-PhD candidates do not have the same stellar records that MSTP applicants do. Thus this would be seen as the backdoor way of getting both degrees
-Med schools are large, and they don't mind if 1 or 2 students per class leave. Most graduate departments have a single-digit number of students per year, so the loss of one student hurts a department a lot more.
-By the time they transferred, grad students would be done with at least 1 or 2 years of their PhD. What order should they do it? Should they finish the PhD and then go to medical school? That doesn't really make any sense because then they don't need an MSTP program. If they quit for a while and go to med school, then who takes care of their PhD project while they are gone? What if they return to the lab and they are 3 years behind? etc.
-funding. Who pays for what? Does the faculty member pay for the rest of the PhD, then the MSTP pay for the med school? What if the potential transfer goes to med school in between? My guess is that the NIH grants to the MSTP programs are pretty strict about this.
-and of course just general institutional bureaucracy i.e. course requirements, PhD degree requirements, etc.

These are just a few of my random thoughts. I'm sure some of them may be wrong. It seems that it would be FEASIBLE to transfer from a PhD to an MSTP, but it would be such a headache that programs just say no. Alternatively, perhaps the NIH grants do not cover transfers from PhD programs at all?

stherling said:

I'm an MSTP @ WashU and I just wanted to say that it certainly IS possible to transfer MD --> MSTP @ WashU, but I'm not sure how likely this will happen in the next few years. This year, we had 2 MD-->MSTP transfers and last year they had 1 PhD-->MSTP transfer. At WashU, everything is really possible if you are a very smart, motivated person. It is a very flexible place (that's why we're the best, right? lol). But a word of caution here: Our class, namely, is the largest in the country - 31 people with 4 deferrals until next year. To add to this, our class has quite a few MD students who were MSTP applicants who got into MSTP's elsewhere, but decided to come to do WashU MD. So MudPhud-interested peeps come to WashU Med school, but don't end up in the MSTP. We have an incredibly well run MD/Masters program and everyone is highly encouraged to join for a 1-year pull out. Anyhow...hope this helps...

don't mean to hijack...but anyone know what the chances are for the transition at harvard?

hijack away. on that note, anyone know about the plausibility of doing this at Columbia? :)

For individual programs, follow Maebea's advice and ask the program directly.