WashU MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okada

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to the MSTP program at WashU in the next application cycle. I would appreciate it if you guys can answer a few questions:

1. Out of the 25 slots, how many are actually funded by NIH and how many by private endowment?

2. Besides being the largest program, what are its strengths as compared to other top schools like Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF/etc.?

3. What are the strongest programs in the graduate departments? Neuro? Immuno?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Okada said:
I am interested in applying to the MSTP program at WashU in the next application cycle. I would appreciate it if you guys can answer a few questions:

1. Out of the 25 slots, how many are actually funded by NIH and how many by private endowment?

2. Besides being the largest program, what are its strengths as compared to other top schools like Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF/etc.?

3. What are the strongest programs in the graduate departments? Neuro? Immuno?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the answers to 1&3, but if I had to guess I'd say about half the slots are NIH funded and half are not. During the PhD phase, I think most students are paid by grants that their advisor has, which are often NIH but could be internal grants or private grants (like American Cancer Society, etc). For question 3, I think Immunology is probably overall the strongest, but all of the programs are really very good and there is a lot of overlap between them. Most labs will have students that represent different programs. For example, in one lab there have been graduate students in Genetics, Molecular Cell Biology, Neuroscience, and Developmental Biology. You can wait until 2nd year (if not later) to pick a program, if you want.

One strength of Wash U is the really great, collaborative atmosphere here. I am not sure what it is like at the other schools you mentioned, but I can tell you that at Wash U it is very easy to get help (intellectually as well as with reagants and things) from students/postdocs/PIs in other labs and there is very little if any competition between labs. There is fantastic administrative support at Wash U MSTP. I think living in St. Louis is an advantage. There is plenty to do here, with good access to outdoor and cultural activities. But the cost of living is super-cheap; many MSTs own their own condos and houses.

Good luck!