WashU or Stanford??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some choices but it has come down to these, thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

They are both great schools. I think the next important factor is geographic location, and no one can decide that but you.

you really need to give more info if you want people's opinions. there is no way to figure out which is a better match for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have always wondered why people with this type of question ask a bunch of strangers who know nothing about them to help them make up their mind.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but then again there are lots of things that don't make sense.

I agree, what stupidity...

Go to Stanford!!! Even though WashU is ranked higher, Stanford is more prestigious overall. Stanford has the better "name."

Originally posted by crazy250
Go to Stanford!!! Even though WashU is ranked higher, Stanford is more prestigious overall. Stanford has the better "name."

And since prestige is really ALL that matters.....

Explain. How is a degree from Stanford medical school more prestigous than a degree from Wash U in the medical community.

CCW

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Explain. How is a degree from Stanford medical school more prestigous than a degree from Wash U in the medical community.

CCW

i think of prestige as how famous the school is. Stanford's just got that brighter "name." I bet that if you ask the general public, more people will know about stanford than wash u regardless of the discipline, including medicine. if you said "i go to wash u med," not many people will instantly think wash u is a great school for medicine. on the other hand, if you said "i go to stanford," the other person will immediately make good assumptions about you. maybe the difference is less in the "medical community," but outside the community, stanford definitely attracts more people's attention. Personally, i would rather have my name on a stanford plaque than a wash u. plus, bay area vs. st. louis, no contest in the quality of life.

i know everyone is entitled to their opinion and so i'm going to voice mine. Personally, I think that is a horrible way to make a decision about med school...in fact...id try to make sure that what crazy250 is speaking of doesn't play a role.

I think it totally clouds all those other factors that are way more impt in choosing a medical school (how the program fits, the mission of the school, the opportunities avaialable for what you want to do, location, quality of life). Does it really matter AT ALL what someone who knows nothing about medicine thinks? ICK...Argh... ideally, you want to go somewhere that will make you the best doctor you can be- not where you can impress the most girls at the club or relatives or random people you meet.

all imho.

i think of prestige as how famous the school is. Stanford's just got that brighter "name." I bet that if you ask the general public, more people will know about stanford than wash u regardless of the discipline, including medicine. if you said "i go to wash u med," not many people will instantly think wash u is a great school for medicine. on the other hand, if you said "i go to stanford," the other person will immediately make good assumptions about you. maybe the difference is less in the "medical community," but outside the community, stanford definitely attracts more people's attention. Personally, i would rather have my name on a stanford plaque than a wash u. plus, bay area vs. st. louis, no contest in the quality of life.

I bet that if you ask the general public, more people will know about stanford than wash u regardless of the discipline, including medicine.

Who cares about the general public? The only thing that matters for your future is how residency directors think and in that regard, WashU is as highly regarded as almost any other medical school.

I would say Stanford, to maximize the chance that you will be far away from me.

I thought the same thing but stanford's match list is great, with many to harvard. WashU's list is great too, but they place 30-40% of their class in barns. I know Stanford places a lot in stanford, but 8 years in CA versus 8 years in MO???

Definitely go to WashU. That way there's one less person going to Stanford and I have better shot at the waitlist actually moving :D

Seriously though just pick the school you felt more comfortable at given all factors. Do the re-visit weekends and see what you like better.

Even more pointless than this post is the pointless debate about which school is more prestigous. It doesn't matter. People who go to Wash. U. feel their school is better, and vice versa.

"stanford is where I want to be" quoth the raven in his/her subconscious.

read over your posts...you want to go to Stanford-- you think cali will be much more fun than MO, you think you'll get a better residency, you like stanford.

why do you want to go wash u? do you see any advantages over stanford?

Originally posted by minter
"stanford is where I want to be" quoth the raven in his/her subconscious.

read over your posts...you want to go to Stanford-- you think cali will be much more fun than MO, you think you'll get a better residency, you like stanford.

why do you want to go wash u? do you see any advantages over stanford?

Well we'd all like to have your set of choices!!! I'd go Stanford. Just seems much more laid back than other top schools (I really have no basis for this, it is just something I've observed). WashU seems like way more gunnerish of a school. Plus, you can't beat the Bay area

Great choices. You can't go wrong and in the end you should go to the one you feel more comfortable with and would fit best with.

On an aside about which is more prestigous it is hard to get more than wash u in the medical world. However, that is really no way to pick a school.