WashU Peoples

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schaps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have already decided to attend WashU MSTP in the fall, and I want to do the summer rotation as well. I was wondering if there are any people who are going to WashU and know how housing works (i.e. rent apartment/condo, dorms, buy condo/house), particularily for the summer rotation. Also, do people want roommates? Because I do! Please feel free to PM me too
Thanks,
-Schaps

Members don't see this ad.

anyone else??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to Wash U next year, and sent you a PM

tiger160 said:
I'm going to Wash U next year, and sent you a PM

Hey all,
I'm going to WashU as well! I asked them if it was possible to do a lab rotation starting in July, and they okayed so I will be starting on July 5. I'm actually looking to buy a condo or a townhouse this summer. Any ideas? So how many peeps from SDN are definitely going? It seems like at least 3-4...I'm coming from New England - anybody else heading down from the same direction? I will be @ the 2nd revisit (Apr 14-17), so hope to see some of you there!

I m not sure if i'm going to WashU yet, but I will be going too to the second revisit. How do people can actually buy a place there? I mean, I know the stipend is enough, but I imagine the initial investment must be pretty high. If I go there, I would like to buy too, it makes perfect sense.

wow, how many people are going to the second revisit weekend?? It seems like a lot-- so far I've got Ludwig, CTNeuro20, milliardo L, and me. I guess we will all get to meet each other then which I think is really great.
As far as buying, I have no idea, and plan to use Saturday of the revisit weekend to look at apartments/condos, etc. What I have heard is that some of the summer rotation students live in Olin Hall just during the summer, using that time to look for an apartment to rent or a place to buy for the first year. I think that is probably what I will end up doing as well. See you guys in April!
--Schaps

I'll also be at the revisit weekend (14-17th), but since i'm a "native" i'll probably only attend part of it.

schaps said:
wow, how many people are going to the second revisit weekend?? It seems like a lot-- so far I've got Ludwig, CTNeuro20, milliardo L, and me. I guess we will all get to meet each other then which I think is really great.
As far as buying, I have no idea, and plan to use Saturday of the revisit weekend to look at apartments/condos, etc. What I have heard is that some of the summer rotation students live in Olin Hall just during the summer, using that time to look for an apartment to rent or a place to buy for the first year. I think that is probably what I will end up doing as well. See you guys in April!
--Schaps

A friend of mine from NYC is also coming on the 14-17th. I'm looking either to rent something cheap, close by in the first year, buy a condo in the second - or buy something this summer. I'll be starting on July 5. Does anyone know when we get to pick the revisit faculty? I would imagine soon, but I haven't heard from the office. They are supposed to be mailing out the packets soon. It seems like a good number of us from SDN are definitely going. See you all in a few weeks:)

I called Andrew in the MSTP office on Thursday, and he told me that I should let them know the faculty that I'd like to meet during the revisit weekend soon-- like the beginning of next week. He said to just call or email the list

CTNeuro20 said:
A friend of mine from NYC is also coming on the 14-17th. I'm looking either to rent something cheap, close by in the first year, buy a condo in the second - or buy something this summer. I'll be starting on July 5. Does anyone know when we get to pick the revisit faculty? I would imagine soon, but I haven't heard from the office. They are supposed to be mailing out the packets soon. It seems like a good number of us from SDN are definitely going. See you all in a few weeks:)

schaps said:
I called Andrew in the MSTP office on Thursday, and he told me that I should let them know the faculty that I'd like to meet during the revisit weekend soon-- like the beginning of next week. He said to just call or email the list

Hey - thanks for the info. I got some offers from my faculty interviewers to come to their lab, but the interest for one of those wasn't mutual. Also, I'd like to meet other faculty who I haven't met with before. I was thinking about this and whether this would introduce an element of awkwardness with the faculty I met with before. But I don't think it should. Why? Because MSTP is about US, the students, and where WE want to spend 3-5 years of PhD time. What do others think of this? I definitely plan on meeting again with at least a third of my interviewers, but not all of them. I guess I'm picky when it comes to these issues because I look at the whole package - not just their research, but the ability to be a good mentor, how personable / approachable they are, the potential to publish good data etc.

What do others think of this?

IMO, nobody will care if you ask to meet with different people.
Unless you definently know who you want to work with, it's probably a good idea to get a broader view of the research going on in your field. (neuro?)

BTW- I've been working at the med school for 4 years as an undergrad and might possibly have some input on the faculty you're looking at. PM me if interested.

CTNeuro20 said:
Hey - thanks for the info. I got some offers from my faculty interviewers to come to their lab, but the interest for one of those wasn't mutual. Also, I'd like to meet other faculty who I haven't met with before. I was thinking about this and whether this would introduce an element of awkwardness with the faculty I met with before. But I don't think it should. Why? Because MSTP is about US, the students, and where WE want to spend 3-5 years of PhD time. What do others think of this? I definitely plan on meeting again with at least a third of my interviewers, but not all of them. I guess I'm picky when it comes to these issues because I look at the whole package - not just their research, but the ability to be a good mentor, how personable / approachable they are, the potential to publish good data etc.

What do others think of this?

Hey, I think that is exactly what you are supposed to do-- meet with faculty that you didn't get to meet during your interviews, as well as some that may have interested you while you were interviewing. Don't feel badly about not meeting w/ PIs that showed interest-- they know that you only have limited time to revisit and that you have to select carefully who you will meet with.