WashU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incendiary

Fantabulous Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone still considering this school? Dr. G, Epogen, gobears, grasshopper? Care to share your thoughts on the school?

sc, SonicHedgehog (MD/PhD), GG16, DJ W.R., looks like all of you are headed elsewhere. Care to share why?

loafy42, GermanJohn, bobcat, GoBearsGo... You know you guys have to contribute... :)

Members don't see this ad.

St. Louis is better than Baltimore
$137,000 is better than $0
P/F first year is better than H/HP/P/F first year
Cards are better than Orioles
Rams are better than Ravens

whoops, this probably belongs in the wash u v. hopkins thread...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by GoBearsGo:
•St. Louis is better than Baltimore
$137,000 is better than $0
P/F first year is better than H/HP/P/F first year
Cards are better than Orioles
Rams are better than Ravens

whoops, this probably belongs in the wash u v. hopkins thread...•••••Much of what you say is true, but I have to correct you on one thing. The Cards are not better than the Orioles. Well, actually, maybe this year, but the O's will always be cooler.

And come one, Camden Yards vs. Busch Stadium? No contest...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wash U is an excellent school and it would have been nice to have my father award my degree (he was Wash U med class of 1968) but . . .

1. I am not particularly fond of St. Louis -- I grew up in NYC and LA, and as such, am used to bicostal cities and don't relish the idea of being landlocked. I REALLY want to be at least within driving distance of NYC

2. Wash U was the only school where students (and more than one) admitted that the students were competitive with each other -- to that end, I felt that things were rigid there as far as the curriculum, student relationships with faculty, etc.

3. Curriculum was more traditional than i'd like it to be -- I wanted more of a PBL/Lecture mix than WUSTL offered.
---------------------------------------

So, I'll be at Penn in the fall for a variety of reasons (in no particular order):

1. Philly is cheap and very close to Manhattan
2. Penn has a wonderful mix of PBL/Lecture, roughly 50:50
3. 1.5 years of basic science instead of 2 -- you enter clinics in Jan of 2nd year.
4. Very much like the idea of everything under one roof -- the entire campus is within (basically) one square mile.
5. Very technology oriented -- love the idea of all lectures being in RealVideo the same day and having the virtual curriculum.
6. I really felt that Penn values their students more than most of the other medical schools (perhaps an unfair generalization, but. . .) -- they've been super nice and everyone I know there is so thrilled they picked Penn.
7. One of the few top-5 schools where I genuinely believe the students are largely non-competitive (didn't feel that way at HMS, Duke or WashU).

I hope this helps!!!!!! But WUSTL will give you a wonderful education if you choose it! It's just the ancillary stuff that made me choose Penn.

:)

.[/qb][/QUOTE]Much of what you say is true, but I have to correct you on one thing. The Cards are not better than the Orioles. Well, actually, maybe this year, but the O's will always be cooler.

A history lesson: The O's are the erstwhile St. Louis Browns, the most hapless team in the history of the Junior Circuit. (A piece of doggeral about St. Louis contained the lines "First in shoes/ First in Booze/ And last in the American League".) The O's enjoyed a brief period of success under the direction of Earl Weaver, a St. Louis native. The team had to design a historic-looking ballyard because they, in fact, did not have much history. (Indeed, a key figure in the design of Candem Yards was a woman with the St. Louis-based architectural firm Helmuth, Obata, Kassebaum.) So, besides JHU, the Baltimore Sun, and Ernie's Crab Shack, many of Baltimore's best features all have roots in St. Louis.

Busch Stadium is not a gem, but it is a real ballbark with few of the distractions that the Candem-inspired retroparks offer. One goes to Busch to see a game, not to have a "baseball experience" in a Disneyland-like theme park. The Cardinals manage to outdraw more than 75% of the teams in both leagues, despite the fact that the city has only about 400,000 inhabitants; you do not need a lot of flash when you have substance. These fans applaud goundouts that move the runner into scoring position, and do not only pay attention to Sports Center homerun highlights. You should switch on cable tonight to watch the Cardinals play the Cubs, with two of the best pitchers in the league, Matt Morris and Kerry Wood, going at it. This will be a battle between two great rival teams, both of which have histories that extend back over 100 years, both that play in authentic ballparks. Look at the box score tomorrow morning and you will find that the attendence figure will probably be higher than that of any other game played tonight.

Sorry for the diatribe, but baseball has been berry, berry important to me.
:wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Incendiary:
•[QUOTE The Cards are not better than the Orioles. Well, actually, maybe this year, but the O's will always be cooler.
•••••Hmmm, let's see:
Cardinals: JD Drew, Jim Edmonds, Pujols, Isi, and Morris

Oriols: Jeff Conine, Jay Gibbons, Cordova, Ponson (and his sky high era)

which one was cooler again?

Yeah, so we lost 2/3 to the Devil Rays. But you all will be crying in your boots when the O's storm through the AL to the WS victory in October.

Besides, we had Eddie Gaedel. Can't get any cooler than that.

Can someone post something relevant to WashU the school so that this thread doesn't get moved to the Lounge? :D

Here's something somewhat relevant. I think St. Louis gets a lot of dissing, but it's really a nice place. I've never seen so much green in a city before.

I like Forest Park. It's the second largest park in the nation and it's right across the street. Golf courses, skating rink, outdoor theater, zoo, running/biking trails, tennis courts...etc.

•••quote:••••
Here's something somewhat relevant. I think St. Louis gets a lot of dissing, but it's really a nice place. I've never seen so much green in a city before.•••••Incendiary-

my post has nothing to do with baseball :wink: and
i'd like you're input on my thoughts -- do you at all agree or completely disagree ?? :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by GG16:
•Wash U is an excellent school and it would have been nice to have my father award my degree (he was Wash U med class of 1968) but . . .

1. I am not particularly fond of St. Louis -- I grew up in NYC and LA, and as such, am used to bicostal cities and don't relish the idea of being landlocked. I REALLY want to be at least within driving distance of NYC

2. Wash U was the only school where students (and more than one) admitted that the students were competitive with each other -- to that end, I felt that things were rigid there as far as the curriculum, student relationships with faculty, etc.

3. Curriculum was more traditional than i'd like it to be -- I wanted more of a PBL/Lecture mix than WUSTL offered.
---------------------------------------

So, I'll be at Penn in the fall for a variety of reasons (in no particular order):

1. Philly is cheap and very close to Manhattan
2. Penn has a wonderful mix of PBL/Lecture, roughly 50:50
3. 1.5 years of basic science instead of 2 -- you enter clinics in Jan of 2nd year.
4. Very much like the idea of everything under one roof -- the entire campus is within (basically) one square mile.
5. Very technology oriented -- love the idea of all lectures being in RealVideo the same day and having the virtual curriculum.
6. I really felt that Penn values their students more than most of the other medical schools (perhaps an unfair generalization, but. . .) -- they've been super nice and everyone I know there is so thrilled they picked Penn.
7. One of the few top-5 schools where I genuinely believe the students are largely non-competitive (didn't feel that way at HMS, Duke or WashU).

I hope this helps!!!!!! But WUSTL will give you a wonderful education if you choose it! It's just the ancillary stuff that made me choose Penn.

:) •••••Thanks for posting, GG16. Here are my (brief) responses (since I have some finals coming up soon).

1. I really liked St. Louis when I revisited, although I hated it when I interviewed. My feelings now are that I'll like it, but it's not as happening as I'd like. Then again, I'm more into clubs than bars, and I hear East St. Louis has some decent clubs. Dunno if I want to risk being killed just for a good night out, though. :wink:

2. I'd prefer students to admit that they're competitive flat out, than for students to hide it before you get there. I agree that there will be competition, hopefully a healthy level, pretty much wherever you go, so at least the students are honest, eh?

3. There is some PBL/small group discussion, but it is predominantly lecture-based. I like that they teach us a lot of info, including minutiae, but that's just me. That was one thing I disliked about Duke. That they don't teach you as much as I'd like to learn. I see the merits of teaching people only the basics, but I want to learn how to learn AND all the current knowledge, even if much of it will be somewhat outdated by the time I graduate. However, I highly doubt that 95% of what I'll learn in med school will serve me no purpose in 10 years, as some schools would have you think.

---

1. St. Louis is even cheaper than Philly. And not as grimy either. :)
2. Penn has a better lecture/PBL breakdown, in my opinion.
3. I also really liked Penn's 1.5 year curriculum. That's one thing other schools could improve upon. I think it's a nice compromise between Duke and WashU's polar opposite curricula.
4. No opinion...
5. WashU lags behind in the tech department, I feel. I want all lectures videotaped and digitized for the Web. I suspect they don't have roaming ethernet nor wireless Internet anywhere (on the med campus, at least), but I'm not sure. However, current students told me that their note taking service eliminates the need for lecture videos. (I'd still like the option, though.)
6. I agree that Penn probably does value their students a great deal. Gaye is really cool, but I actually didn't like the dynamics of the people I met during the Preview. Plus, diversity in terms of Hispanics, East Asians, and South Asians seemed to be lacking. The female dean, Gail? (I forget her name), seemed a little psycho too. :p
7. Don't know about competition at Penn, but I think like all other schools, you'll get many who are competitive, and some who are not. I wouldn't be TOO fooled by the Preview, though. It's, as one of my friends put it, a big commercial. They sell you on what they want you to know, and they keep you in the dark on what they don't. The class is not as service-oriented and chummy with each other as they make you believe, from what I've heard, as well. That said, I still really liked it myself, and my friends there really love it too.

---

Thanks for your input on WashU. Good luck in Philly! :)

•••quote:••••
1. I really liked St. Louis when I revisited, although I hated it when I interviewed. My feelings now are that I'll like it, but it's not as happening as I'd like. Then again, I'm more into clubs than bars, and I hear East St. Louis has some decent clubs. Dunno if I want to risk being killed just for a good night out, though. :wink:

2. I'd prefer students to admit that they're competitive flat out, than for students to hide it before you get there. I agree that there will be competition, hopefully a healthy level, pretty much wherever you go, so at least the students are honest, eh?

3. There is some PBL/small group discussion, but it is predominantly lecture-based. I like that they teach us a lot of info, including minutiae, but that's just me. That was one thing I disliked about Duke. That they don't teach you as much as I'd like to learn. I see the merits of teaching people only the basics, but I want to learn how to learn AND all the current knowledge, even if much of it will be somewhat outdated by the time I graduate. However, I highly doubt that 95% of what I'll learn in med school will serve me no purpose in 10 years, as some schools would have you think.

---

1. St. Louis is even cheaper than Philly. And not as grimy either. :)
2. Penn has a better lecture/PBL breakdown, in my opinion.
3. I also really liked Penn's 1.5 year curriculum. That's one thing other schools could improve upon. I think it's a nice compromise between Duke and WashU's polar opposite curricula.
4. No opinion...
5. WashU lags behind in the tech department, I feel. I want all lectures videotaped and digitized for the Web. I suspect they don't have roaming ethernet nor wireless Internet anywhere (on the med campus, at least), but I'm not sure. However, current students told me that their note taking service eliminates the need for lecture videos. (I'd still like the option, though.)
6. I agree that Penn probably does value their students a great deal. Gaye is really cool, but I actually didn't like the dynamics of the people I met during the Preview. Plus, diversity in terms of Hispanics, East Asians, and South Asians seemed to be lacking. The female dean, Gail? (I forget her name), seemed a little psycho too. :p
7. Don't know about competition at Penn, but I think like all other schools, you'll get many who are competitive, and some who are not. I wouldn't be TOO fooled by the Preview, though. It's, as one of my friends put it, a big commercial. They sell you on what they want you to know, and they keep you in the dark on what they don't. The class is not as service-oriented and chummy with each other as they make you believe, from what I've heard, as well. That said, I still really liked it myself, and my friends there really love it too.

---

Thanks for your input on WashU. Good luck in Philly! :) •••••Thanks for the reply incendiary!

--> I must admit that I wasn't particularly thrilled with the dynamics of the students during preview -- I am hoping that the students who weren't there and/or waitlisted kids will make up for it. And I certainly agree that the whole preview thing is a big commercial, but I nonetheless can compare the differences between preview weekends and as far as the administration is concerned, they left an excellent impression on me during preview. . .

For me, it comes down to a bit too much lecture for me at WashU -- like I said, I need a little PBL and I am a internet/technology slut, which makes Penn all the more appealing.

But from what I gather, it sounds like you know what you want and it would seem that WUSTL will be an excellent match for you. If, indeed, that is where you matriculate -- I wish you the best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Now . . . good luck studying for your finals!

-The Fly (member formerly known as GG16)

***it was time to change my name before it's too late!!***

Hey Incendiary,

I turned down the scholarship and decided to stay out here at Stanford. I've got family out here and Stanford's financial aid made it just as inexpensive (if not more so) than Wash U.

Jeff also turned it down in favor of UCSF. Jen, on the other hand, will be joining you in 2003 (she's deferring for a year).

Have fun!
John

I have decided to go to Wash U, so maybe I ll see some of you over this in the fall.
The school seems great and I gotta say i was really impressed with the hospital they have over there.
I'm pretty excited about going over there in august and i know it will be great.

Anybody else set on wash u? I would love to hear who else is definitely going over there too.

Epogen

I'll be there this fall. It is going to be a hell of a time.

-BME02

Anyone know where I can see Wash U's matchlist?

Thanks

11/18/02 Bears vs. Rams in St. Louis on Monday Night Football!

The 2001 matchlist is in the back of the 2001/2002 bulletin (the thick white booklet) that we got at the interview. PM me your e-mail and I can forward you a copy of the 2002 matchlist.

Can't wait to see the Bears shut out the Rams on MNF!