Wasted five years. Should i quit ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jayvee123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still stuck in 1st year. long story short i am a wreck and i am stuck .My real dream was to be an animator but my parents denied it so i chose the next thing i had a slight interest on and thats the worst decision of my life. I have been lying to them for the past five years i don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Confused but I don't think any school would let a student repeat 5 times?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still stuck in 1st year. long story short i am a wreck and i am stuck .My real dream was to be an animator but my parents denied it so i chose the next thing i had a slight interest on and thats the worst decision of my life. I have been lying to them for the past five years i don't know what to do.
If money isn't an issue, and if you can reasonably get past the ire of your family, then yes it sounds like you should quit.

yes i am from india which is why the judgement for quitting is off the charts. which is why i thought i could force myself to finish it off somehow.

yes i am from india which is why the judgement for quitting is off the charts. which is why i thought i could force myself to finish it off somehow.
So are you saying your primary concern is what your family and friends will think? You don't have any other concerns (e.g., financial)? I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

So are you saying your primary concern is what your family and friends will think? You don't have any other concerns (e.g., financial)? I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Yes that is a primary concern and the fact that i lied to my parents all these years is just unforgivable even though i have stated twice i just can't have this as my career for which they turned a deaf ear. Finacially i am dependant on my parents still, which is embarrassing for a 24 year old. So the only actual important primary concerns are what my parents would think and i have to ask them for money.

Unless india is literally the opposite of the US, 5 tries to pass the first year means you are done. You won't be a doctor.

Yes, it's crappy to take money from your parents while lying. That sucks and you need to come clean

Yes it's embarrassing to be living off them at 24 with nothing to show for it. Put on your big boy britches and pay for yourself now

Talk to your parents. Confess. Apologize. Now. You are stealing from them dishonestly and it's not ok

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that is a primary concern and the fact that i lied to my parents all these years is just unforgivable even though i have stated twice i just can't have this as my career for which they turned a deaf ear. Finacially i am dependant on my parents still, which is embarrassing for a 24 year old. So the only actual important primary concerns are what my parents would think and i have to ask them for money.
I don't know Indian culture, you would know how to better navigate it far more than I would as some random white dude on SDN, but one way or another it sounds like you need to come clean to your parents. Tell them you won't be continuing med school. Then find a job so you are making money. It doesn't have to be in animation initially, although that would be good. But any job. A job where you can start working, making money, so that your parents will see you are at least productive. In others words, you'll have to quit med school, but you need to find a job to replace it, both for yourself and your future, as well as to hopefully regain the good will of your parents.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay i will confess and get a job. Thank you all for the help. I might get back here during the aftermath.

Okay i will confess and get a job. Thank you all for the help. I might get back here during the aftermath.
And just in case you get overwhelmed, get some mental health help. This might seem insurmountable but you are young and have plenty of time in life. Don't hurt yourself, stay safe

Reactions: 10 users
Time to bail now before you get any more miserable and it wrecks your health.

Tell your parents that it's your life and you'll decide how to live it.

Get a job, any job, to save up money to then proceed with Plan B.

Are you trying to make me spit coffee through my nose? Unless you're doing some neat, DARPA type stuff, engineering is about as boring as watching the grass grow.....

I hope you are spiting coffee from your nose because you get the joke...

Reactions: 2 users
I hope you are spiting coffee from your nose because you get the joke...

No way you could know this -- I trained the 3 guys who took my last engineering project/job back to India and was laid off within a year later -- so yeah, I truly get that joke -- more than you will ever know....

Reactions: 2 users
No way you could know this -- I trained the 3 guys who took my last engineering project/job back to India and was laid off within a year later -- so yeah, I truly get that joke -- more than you will ever know....

Looks like I opened a can of worms I shouldn't have... my apologies.

Man, that throwaway joke really turned into an onion that hit on like six levels at once :laugh:

I think I understand the feeling of just cracking pandora's box a smidge, just some bad juju ready to fly in your face if you do so... ;)

Call it a day bro. It's over. I love this and still think it blows most days. If you don't love it, it's going to blow every single day. Life is too short. Ain't nobody got time for that. No pithy comment. Above posters are much more witty.

You're more stoic than Zeno himself.