Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Watch A Neurosurgeon Perform A Subdural Hematoma Operation
Started by laricb
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
pretty cool
it's funny how much more i get out of things after learning about them in med school
it's funny how much more i get out of things after learning about them in med school
What a cute brain.. I loved watching the skull removal!
There are a lot of great neurosurgery videos on the Johns Hopkins Youtube channel; check them out.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I watched that the other night in call. 🙁
Haha yeah I read that last bit at the end about residual hemiparesis and cranial nerve deficit and thought the same thing.Surgery went swimmingly and the patient is still ****** up. Neurosurgery = not for me! Props to those who do it, though. Really fun to watch! 🙂
I don't know how neurosurgeons do it, man. At least 9/10 neurosurg patients I dealt with never fully recovered. I can't imagine feeling good about my work when most of my patients never truly recover their initial quality of life.Surgery went swimmingly and the patient is still ****** up. Neurosurgery = not for me! Props to those who do it, though. Really fun to watch! 🙂
I don't know how neurosurgeons do it, man. At least 9/10 neurosurg patients I dealt with never fully recovered. I can't imagine feeling good about my work when most of my patients never truly recover their initial quality of life.
But you can feel good about having all those dolla dolla billz to spend on cars and hookers on the 2 nights a year you don't have call and have a free afternoon since your wife left you for working >80hrs a week
But you can feel good about having all those dolla dolla billz to spend on cars and hookers on the 2 nights a year you don't have call and have a free afternoon since your wife left you for working >80hrs a week
I don't know how neurosurgeons do it, man. At least 9/10 neurosurg patients I dealt with never fully recovered. I can't imagine feeling good about my work when most of my patients never truly recover their initial quality of life.
Well have you asked those patients whether they would rather be dead instead?
Well have you asked those patients whether they would rather be dead instead?
Nobody's saying that there's no point in neurosurgery. It's just that almost every patient story you encounter is a tragedy, and you do the best you can to make it somewhat less tragic. Sounds awful to me.
A lot of them couldn't tell you even if you asked, care of their "recovered" state. Totally not the sort of work I could do.Well have you asked those patients whether they would rather be dead instead?
Can't tell if you're describing a physician or a Wall Street banker.But you can feel good about having all those dolla dolla billz to spend on cars and hookers on the 2 nights a year you don't have call and have a free afternoon since your wife left you for working >80hrs a week
Can't tell if you're describing a physician or a Wall Street banker.
Can't tell if you're describing a physician or a Wall Street banker.
Hmmm. I was going for dermatologist.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whatevs, everyone justify why it's not for you... more neurosurgery for me 😉
That's the conclusion I came to after spending a month on neurosurgery as a med student. There are no good outcomes... only less bad outcomes.Nobody's saying that there's no point in neurosurgery. It's just that almost every patient story you encounter is a tragedy, and you do the best you can to make it somewhat less tragic. Sounds awful to me.
Also meth is neuroprotective. You simply can't kill meth heads.
Yeah, except the hookers, 2 nights a year no call, and wife leaving you for working > 80 hrs. a week part. I'll give you the cars part, probably.Hmmm. I was going for dermatologist.
why do people always associate money with hookers
oh and cool operation
oh and cool operation
.
Last edited:
money=hookers
So what you're saying is I could pay my tuition with hookers?
.
Last edited:
Brain or spine emphasis?Whatevs, everyone justify why it's not for you... more neurosurgery for me 😉
I'm into cards but I am hoping to shadow a neuro guy soon. He did his fellowship at JHU; I need those connections lol.
Brain or spine emphasis?
I'm into cards but I am hoping to shadow a neuro guy soon. He did his fellowship at JHU; I need those connections lol.
Shadows a neuro guy for a few days, gets future connection. LOL
That isn't unrealistic. Appreciate the condescension though.Shadows a neuro guy for a few days, gets future connection. LOL
in theory, yes. you need many hookers to accomplish this feat. as long as your side gig doesn't mix with your main profession, there's no reason why you can't take up the job of a pimp.
Sound like fun. I wonder how interest would work.
Brain or spine emphasis?
I'm into cards but I am hoping to shadow a neuro guy soon. He did his fellowship at JHU; I need those connections lol.
More of a brain guy but love that spine is involved.
That isn't unrealistic. Appreciate the condescension though.
Johns Hopkins takes 3 residents per year. Neurosurgery selects for some of the top med students, and then JHU will interview probably 30-40 people out of the several hundred applying to neurosurgery. Of those several hundred, you really think they'll pay extra attention to you for shadowing someone as a premed? Of those 30-40, you really think you're going to get bumped to the top of the rank list because you shadowed some dude who did a fellowship there a few years back?
That isn't unrealistic. Appreciate the condescension though.
Regarding college activities, the only thing that can be used on residency apps is published research from college. This can be useful for med school apps if you have consistent shadowing of the same Dr. You can use this as an experience and a good recommendation letter.
Johns Hopkins takes 3 residents per year. Neurosurgery selects for some of the top med students, and then JHU will interview probably 30-40 people out of the several hundred applying to neurosurgery. Of those several hundred, you really think they'll pay extra attention to you for shadowing someone as a premed? Of those 30-40, you really think you're going to get bumped to the top of the rank list because you shadowed some dude who did a fellowship there a few years back?
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Johns Hopkins takes 3 residents per year. Neurosurgery selects for some of the top med students, and then JHU will interview probably 30-40 people out of the several hundred applying to neurosurgery. Of those several hundred, you really think they'll pay extra attention to you for shadowing someone as a premed? Of those 30-40, you really think you're going to get bumped to the top of the rank list because you shadowed some dude who did a fellowship there a few years back?
I meant connections more so as in a strong letter of recommendation for medical school.
I'm actually more interested in Stanford's cardiothoracic surgically integrated program which only accepts two med students a year.
Those programs are definitely reach programs; yes, the probability of gaining admission into one of these programs is low.
To answer your question:
No, I realize no one will get accepted to any of these prestigious institutions without being extremely unique and talented.
Last edited:
LoR don't apply to residency programs?Regarding college activities, the only thing that can be used on residency apps is published research from college. This can be useful for med school apps if you have consistent shadowing of the same Dr. You can use this as an experience and a good recommendation letter.
+1
Only research? I literally did not know that, thanks.
When I said connections, I meant LoR for medical school.
LoR don't apply to residency programs?
Only research? I literally did not know that, thanks.
When I said connections, I meant LoR for medical school.
Most people submit 3-4 letters for residency apps, so most of the LORs are from 3rd year Drs you did rotations with, program director, or PI who did research with. The LOR from college would be too outdated.
You don't want to put too many college activities in residency apps because then you are "CV padding." Only research or activities that carry over into med school should be included.
It would be great if you can shadow the same Dr for a couple of months so you get a good LOR for med school apps. That's what I meant in my first comment. Consistent shadowing is the key. Good luck.
From another thread:
Unless it was a significant medically related experience (ie, resulted in a publication), I would not include stuff from undergrad.
Residency applications are, for the most part, different than medical school. We don't really care about your volunteering or "research" from before medical school.
Thank youMost people submit 3-4 letters for residency apps, so most of the LORs are from 3rd year Drs you did rotations with, program director, or PI who did research with. The LOR from college would be too outdated.
You don't want to put too many college activities in residency apps because then you are "CV padding." Only research or activities that carry over into med school should be included.
It would be great if you can shadow the same Dr for a couple of months so you get a good LOR for med school apps. That's what I meant in my first comment. Consistent shadowing is the key. Good luck.
From another thread:
Great; check out this operation,More of a brain guy but love that spine is involved.
The debulking is the best part.