Watching your job spiral down the drain......

Started by Xenophylia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Xenophylia

my credentials- BRP (Bitter Retired Pharmacist)
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As I mentioned in another post somewhere, I actually like my current job. Night shift LTC, just myself and a technician. No bull****, politics, or drama. We come in. We work. We go home. The night nurses at our facilities know our names, and we know theirs. So, you ask yourself...what could possibly come along to f*ck up such an idyllic situation?

Well, apparently no one- either ownership or management- has a finger on the pulse of whether any of the facilities we service are satisfied with the service they're getting. About a week ago, some of our people went to one of our larger homes to sign their yearly contract. They refused to sign. None of our people had any idea why, despite the fact that we are paying some of these people to know that kind of stuff.

Two weeks later, morale here has plummeted. The rumor is going around that 50% of all employees are going to be laid off if the facility doesn't sign. Well, guess what. It is common knowledge to everyone who listens that THEY WILL NEVER again sign a contract with us again. We have lost them FOREVER. It is over. No one in management claims to know who the mystery pharmacy is who is taking over for us. I do, because I talk to our drivers. They are the BEST source of information. They develop rapport with nurses like no one else, and nurses love to talk. And the new mystery pharmacy even approached one of the drivers about a job! Meanwhile, we're continuing to service this facility without a contract, making it even easier for the new pharmacy who doesn't need to rush to get things in place to take over. We are actually helping our competition. Who in the name of God does that? So I'm sending my resume to the new "mystery" pharmacy tomorrow. If you can't beat em......

Did I die and wake up in bizarroland? So now I'm having to dust off my resume again. Not close enough to retirement to tap in to my retirement funds or I'd be saying goodbye to pharmacy forever. Just want to make it five more years in this sh*tshow so I can enjoy what I suffered my entire life in this braindead, unsatisfying and utterly toxic career to achieve. Won't go back into chain retail. The guy I work for now took over the business from his father, and apparently is trying to destroy any good name or reputation they ever had. I just don't get why people enjoy destroying things they've built their entire lives for no reason.
 
Soo....you still didn't mention why the nursing facility won't sign another contract. Seems like they have complaints about the service from the way you make it sound (in which case, would the new pharmacy hire you if you're possibly part of the problem?)
 
No once claims to know what the problems is- such is the poor state of communication between us and our facilities apparently. I think most of our facilities like our night shift (which I implemented) so I'm not worried about anything reflecting negatively on me. In fact, since I have some familiarity with the facility they're taking on that might be a bonus. No pun intended, but night shift is so "kept in the dark" from the doings of day shift sometimes it feels like two separate businesses. Not implying that's a good thing...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Soo....you still didn't mention why the nursing facility won't sign another contract. Seems like they have complaints about the service from the way you make it sound (in which case, would the new pharmacy hire you if you're possibly part of the problem?)

In my limited experience that is actually quite common. Whoever wins the contract often needs the manpower to service them and hiring whoever was laid off at the other pharmacy is something I have seen happen more than once now. Presumably the fact they have experience in the field is considered a plus.

I actually agree with your logic though - why would you want your competition's cast aways who are very likely the worst of the bunch? It would be like recruiting the worst athletes from a losing team to play on the winning team (at least it seems that way to me).

My facility did it once since I worked there and the person we hired was terrible. I only hope the site management has learned their lesson - doubtful though as they never seem to.
 
Last edited:
In my limited experience that is actually quite common. However wins the contract often needs the manpower to service them and hiring whoever was laid off at the other pharmacy is something I have seen happen more than once now. Presumably the fact they have experience in the field is considered a plus.

I actually agree with your logic though - why would you want your competition's cast aways who are very likely the worst of the bunch? It would be like recruiting the worst athletes from a losing team to play on the winning team (at least it seems that way to me).

My facility did it once since I worked there and the person we hired was terrible. I only hope the site management has learned their lesson - doubtful though as they never seem to.
LOL- I've already got my resume to the "new pharmacy" in the mail! The facility they're taking on is needy and fussy as hell- they're gonna need all the help they can get!!!
 
OP that sucks. It's possible the competitor really underbid in order to get the contract, in which case working for them might not be idyllic. I find it hard to believe that nobody in management knows why they didn't sign the contract, either there was a major issue with your facilities service (and not necessarily from your shift), in which case the NH undoubtedly would have complained repeatedly to management, or your competitor underbid them, in which case the NH undoubtedly would have told your management that, in the hopes of them making an even lower counteroffer.

Either way, management knows. And probably the nurses at the new facility, ask your drivers why their nurses say the contract wasn't signed.