Water Absorption: Small vs. Large Intestine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkks1516

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing online practice questions created by Varsity Tutors, and am stuck on the following

Which of the following statements is false of the small intestine

a) The small intestine is a major site of protein absorption
b) The small intestine is a major site of lipid absorption
c) The small intestine is the major site of water absorption
d) The small intestine is the major site of carbohydrate absorption

They flagged the correct answer as c, stating that while water is absorbed in the small intestine, it is not done so in large quantities. However, in my Kaplan book, it states that while the large intestine's main function tis to absorb water, the small intestine actually absorbs a much larger volume of water.

I could understand how the answer could be 'c' if it asked the small intestine's primary function (as water absorption is not it's primary function despite it doing so in large quantities). However, with wording like "major site" all answer choices are basically correct. How to determine any future answer of this-type question?

I would really hate to get it wrong on the test purely for wording reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

You are right, this is a very poorly worded question that would never show up on the MCAT. Maybe try using some different materials like EK, Kaplan, TBR, or TPR.

I would definitely say c is the "worst answer" of these because the small intestine is the primary site of nutrient absorption (carbs, fats, proteins). The large intestine doesn't really do anything other than water absorption, so by POE I would pick C.

Reactions: 1 users
EK had a similar question. I agree with Hospitalized, you won't get something like this on the exam. You seem to know the concepts well enough for proper questions.

You are right, this is a very poorly worded question that would never show up on the MCAT. Maybe try using some different materials like EK, Kaplan, TBR, or TPR.

I would definitely say c is the "worst answer" of these because the small intestine is the primary site of nutrient absorption (carbs, fats, proteins). The large intestine doesn't really do anything other than water absorption, so by POE I would pick C.
Okay good to know, thanks!