May 1, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi, I noticed that the interviews are mostly just a series of consecutive interviews and was wondering if it was ok to bring a water bottle with me, to use throughout the day?

sore eye asses

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Hi, I noticed that the interviews are mostly just a series of consecutive interviews and was wondering if it was ok to bring a water bottle with me, to use throughout the day?

This is generally viewed as inappropriate, Aquaman.

I distinctly remember last interview season there was this guy that always brought a water bottle with him to interviews. Well, at one program (that I won't name), the PD saw this interviewee with the water bottle and said "who's this mother-fu*king high and mighty MS4 think he is bringing water to a derm interview? Is he out of his fu*king mind bringing water in here? Get this son of a bi*ch out of my sight before I puke in my handbag!!"

So, be careful with this hot potato(e).

asmallchild

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't bring a water bottle, many places provide you with water anyway.

But for some reason, it is viewed as inappropriate (at least that's the advice our deans provided us)

N-Surge

Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I suggest a camelback. If you are an ultra-runner, this will definitely serve as a nice ice-breaker. :) Honestly, I have never heard about not bringing a water bottle. But it seems as though it would be really distracting. I mean, if you were to see this interviewer sitting out in the lobby, wouldn't you also take a second look? :)

Thanks to Dr. Siegel for this picture.

Dral

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Dermatomicroscope
Status
Attending Physician
lol. Awesome picture.

I guess you could always carry a flask of water in your pocket...or whatever your poison may be. heheh. :smuggrin:

On a more serious note though, maybe carry some tic-tacs or some other type of mints. Prevent dry mouth AND promote fresh breath. Win-win.

Last edited:

starbuckscoffee

7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Bring a water bottle, and leave it in the room where interviewees sit during down time. I think it would look tacky to carry it around with you while you are interviewing, but there's no reason you can't drink it during down time.

DadMD

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is generally viewed as inappropriate, Aquaman.

I distinctly remember last interview season there was this guy that always brought a water bottle with him to interviews. Well, at one program (that I won't name), the PD saw this interviewee with the water bottle and said "who's this mother-fu*king high and mighty MS4 think he is bringing water to a derm interview? Is he out of his fu*king mind bringing water in here? Get this son of a bi*ch out of my sight before I puke in my handbag!!"

So, be careful with this hot potato(e).

So unladylike of this PD... or a male PD with a handbag?

mohderm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
Livin the dream
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is this thread for real....

Interviews are not so crazy that you can't get a drink of water. Most places have a central conference room or meeting place where you sit between interviews, etc that has water or snacks. If you are that worried about it, I think bringing a bottle of water would be acceptable. Just leave it in the conference room.

The original post has to be a joke. Just relax and be yourself. Your fluid status will be fine on interview day. :thumbup: